Old 06-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
save the teak

I will be purchasing a 34 foot CHB that has been in covered moorage for about 15 years. The boat has been used but rarely out in the rain. Unfortunately it will be out in the weather after I purchase it.
The teak decks are in very good shape and I'm wondering what I should do to the decks before its moved out into the rain here in the PNW. Thanks
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:18 AM   #2
Guru

City: LI or Fla
unfortunately now magical solution that won't need to be redone and or make it slippery (don't ask me how I know), best suggestion would be to not over use harsh cleaners, I use a little dash of Clorox and Dawn in a pail of water and scrub across the grain, then just enjoy.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:48 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I would wash the decks with Cascade Liquid Dishwashing detergent using a white 3M Scotch pad. After the deck is dry, apply Semco. It does not change the non-skid characteristics of the decks, has a mildewcide, keeps the dirt out and helps keep the natural oils in the teak.

Semco Teak Wood Sealer

Do not use acid cleaners. They remove the soft grain of the teak and are too aggressive IMHO.

Here's a thread talking about teak deck finishes.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ish-20037.html
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Wet the decks down and watch as they dry. Leaks or potential leaks will show up as wet lines or circles around suspect bungs. Mark these with masking tape and repair as per the other thread. If you have dark areas around bungs it means that they used stainless screws to screw down the deck and the bungs have leaked, making the screws corrode. Bronze is better...
Old 06-08-2016, 11:31 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
https://youtu.be/aVhd7Y7v6us

Use product without acid, caustic sodas, or phosphates.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
Dishwashing liquid and salt water, DO NOT rub with the grain. Use a soft brush.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:03 PM   #7

City: Washington
If I had the time, I would check all the seams for seperation. I would check the edges of the deck to make sure the caulking is sound where it meets the fiberglass. I'd bring someone in to fix any gaps prior to moving the boat out of covered moorage and before I applied water to the deck. If I had the time.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #8
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island15 View Post
I will be purchasing a 34 foot CHB that has been in covered moorage for about 15 years. The boat has been used but rarely out in the rain. Unfortunately it will be out in the weather after I purchase it.
The teak decks are in very good shape and I'm wondering what I should do to the decks before its moved out into the rain here in the PNW. Thanks
For 20+ years each year I apply Seafin sealer sold at marine stores. I brush it on so it flows down the teak deck. Its thin like water so it gets in and fills the tiniest cracks. However it drys solid and protects. Be for applying I refasten and recaulk areas requiring, and scrub clean the deck.

To find potential leaks wash the deck and while drying mark the last areas that are wet looking as those are the areas that water got into. Then inspect to see is recalling is required. If bunks plugs are missing or pushed up the scrrw has to be refasten and re plug. Maintaining a teak deck is not hard or expensive if you know the signs.

If you need information on re calking and re fasten let us know. Ok teak decks do move as each summer they shrink dring out and swell in the wet weather.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Shelter Bay
Vessel Name: Little Missy
Vessel Model: CHB
What does the Seafin look like after it is installed? Does it change the color?
So it will help with leaks that I'm sure will show up?
Thanks
Island15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I think Seafin Sealer is 85% mineral spirits and I'd be careful using it. I'm not saying it isn't any good but I wouldn't use it as a bandaid for leaks.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Dishwashing liquid and salt water, DO NOT rub with the grain. Use a soft brush.
This is the way to go! I might add, learn to enjoy gray! If you use "cleaners and preservatives" to get that golden honey color, you have just removed a bunch of wood! Learn to enjoy gray...fix bungs and seams and your deck will be around longer than you.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:00 PM   #12
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I like how the Starbright tropical teak sealer looks on a slip-mates boat.

I will get some this year and try it after I clean my 45 year old grey teak deck. The deck and covering boards needs to be resealed first.
and under the covering boards, I need to replace the plywood, totally rotten, but not on the deck. My boat has the teak deck sitting directly on pressure treated 2x4 wood.

I did replace the plywood on one side about 5 years ago with PT and it is in excellent shape. Boat is a sedan cruiser style, so has a large rear teak deck.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote