Old 07-06-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Guru

salon floor and hatch covers ideas and comments welcome

I am undertaking the project of replacing my salon floor. It was parquet oak flooring and was (is) looking like Hell I started with the engine room hatch covers to strip the old covering. The hatch covers were HEAVY and made of 3/4" plywood covered with the oak floor covering. They were extremely heavy and didn't fit well. Aproximately 2' x 4' each and reinforced by 2 x 4s. The rest of the flooor was simililar construction. I could have overlaid lvd flooring except I reasoned that the already overweight hatch covers would get heavier than than my aged body wanted to deal with. So to begin the project I started with the hatches. The stripping project didnt go so well. I dont know what the PO used for glue but it was tenatious. along with the covering came about half the top layer of plywood. I am left with a mess. I think the best approach might be to make new hatches. Is there a better hatch sheeting than 3/4 Plywood that may be lighter I am considering renforceing the new hatches with aluminum rather than 2 x 4's. Looking for ideas.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If the hatches aren't hinged, I would consider 1/2" plywood. Frame the hatch with 2 x 2s, but glue the 2x2s to the plywood with liquid nails clamped until it sets up. You may have to add one additional 2x2 down the center. Then laminate your flooring to the top of the plywood. All that glue and the framing will make it incredibly stiff. Might be worth making a trial hatch and seeing if it meets your approval. If I were going to do the floor in my boat, I would take a long hard look at Pergo flooring.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would look at some of the new vinyl that looks like wood flooring. I think it might hold up better than the Pergo type flooring. Some of it is incredible looking. I have 3/4” teak and holly plywood hatches. The big ones are about 30” x 40” and they are not hinged. They don’t have structural members on them though. So they are not too bad to handle. The whole salon deck is made up of hatches with a support system below. The supports come out so it opens up almost the whole engine room.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:58 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Lift Out Hatch

This might help someone.
We have a long removable quite heavy lift out ER hatch, as well as the usual smaller hinged one. The removable gives great ER access.
The removable hatch has recessed hinged metal finger lifters which threaten to cut skin etc. We made up a small section of spliced rope in a circle, with a snap shackle to attach to said finger lifter/cutter. The splice gives a thicker section which is easily gripped. It works very well, and saves fingers.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 08:46 AM   #5

City: Atlantic Beach, Nc
Vessel Name: Mutiny II
Vessel Model: Henriques SF
I’m replacing my entire salon floor in my 88’ Henriques. I’ve used kiln dried treated wood for the entire project. This wood will accept glue and paint where reg treated wood is too wet and does not work as well. For the hatches I’ve simply ripped a 2x4 in half, used half for the hatch and the other half for the hatch support. I may.. put an additional ledger ( support ) under this. This will allow for a 1” pice of sound down & a 3/4 styrene hard foam as heat and noise suppression. I’ve ordered that aquatread faux teak for the surface. Just my way for hatches and decking/ flooring. I’ll post some pics once completed if anyone is interested.
Flyavater324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 11:01 AM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
My long fore and aft engine cover has Sounddown attached and is very heavy. However, it is hinged at the fore end and with new 200-pound gas struts pops right up.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 12:56 PM   #7

Yes sir, 1 lb per sq ft. My engine covers are 4.5 wide and 5.5 long. I’ve hinged them in the middle to help me get them up. This is a work boat. Gas struts aren’t in the budget! Lol I spent it all on the faux teak foam vs going back with carpet that keeps getting nasty from all the Fishermans spilled beer, the divers throw up, etc. Lol. Appreciate the strut idea. If they’re not to expensive I may consider it.
Old 02-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyavater324 View Post
Yes sir, 1 lb per sq ft. My engine covers are 4.5 wide and 5.5 long. I’ve hinged them in the middle to help me get them up. This is a work boat. Gas struts aren’t in the budget! Lol I spent it all on the faux teak foam vs going back with carpet that keeps getting nasty from all the Fishermans spilled beer, the divers throw up, etc. Lol. Appreciate the strut idea. If they’re not to expensive I may consider it.
Let me clue you in; gas struts are incredibly CHEAP. My maintenance log says I paid 50 bucks for the two pf them. There is nothing in the name workboat which says you have to work harder for simple things.
Old 02-20-2022, 09:37 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Let me clue you in; gas struts are incredibly CHEAP. My maintenance log says I paid 50 bucks for the two pf them. There is nothing in the name workboat which says you have to work harder for simple things.
After we spoke I checked. You’re correct! They are not that expensive in the overall scheme. I looked at the 250 lb struts and I think they’re in the budget! Lol Thanks again for the advise!
Al
Old 02-21-2022, 11:44 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyavater324 View Post
After we spoke I checked. You’re correct! They are not that expensive in the overall scheme. I looked at the 250 lb struts and I think they’re in the budget! Lol Thanks again for the advise!
Al
250-pounders, manly! Watch your chin when you pop that baby open.