Rust removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farandaway

Veteran Member
Thanks to all who gave me suggestions on how to get my pulleys off my engine. They’re off and I’ve been using electrolysis to remove the rust. The hard to get places are the groves and I was wondering if anyone has tips for getting the remaining rust out of the deep parts of the groves. These pulleys are no longer available and so I’m using the originals. They clean up great except for down in the groves. Ideas???

Use some rust killer after wire brushing, then paint. Don't worry overly about rust deep in grooves where belts are not supposed to touch anyway.

Machine shops often have glass bead blasting cabinets for small parts.

The rust can be pacified with phosphoric acid (if you can find it) or a product like Ospho.

This is not making any sense. If the pulleys are submerged in a liquid and voltage is being applied to them, why is not every thing that is submerged being cleaned? Why can't the liquid reach the groves?

This is not making any sense. If the pulleys are submerged in a liquid and voltage is being applied to them, why is not every thing that is submerged being cleaned? Why can't the liquid reach the groves?
Not all the rust has come off. A lot has. The pulleys were in the electrolysis tank for 24 hours and the rust was leaving the pulleys and collecting on the anode. I wasn’t satisfied either as I thought all the rust should be gone. I’d gladly take any advice as to the duration of time in the tank. Maybe I need more time but I’m sure it’s set up correctly.

Last edited:
Maybe degrease - if there is any in the groove it won't be as effective.
Also proximity to the anode is a factor so you might try a different orientation,
I did this on a wood lathe I was refurbishing and it worked well. Different parts required different containers and anode arrangements.
More time should not be a problem as the reaction ceases once the rust is gone. It is essential to at least prime the pieces ASAP after removal from the solution, rinsing & drying (heat gun).
I had good luck with self etching primer followed by engine enamel.

Good Off rust remover

Maybe use a thin wire brush to get in there, or as suggested above don’t worry since the belt won’t ride that deep anyway.

In the US, phosphoric acid is easily obtained. Home Depot has it in 35% concentration marketed as Kleen Strip concrete etching fluid. Find it in the "paint" section. Amazon has it in a 70% solution.
The rust can be pacified with phosphoric acid (if you can find it) or a product like Ospho.

Put your pulley in a vice and use a 3" grinder with a stiff wire wheel to clean the groove. 2 coats of ospho, two coats of rustoleum primer and two top coats and you will never have to touch it again. (Assuming you follow application instructions)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom