Rust inhibitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy G

Hospitality Officer
Vessel Name
Sarawana
Vessel Make
IG 36 Quad Cabin
Our tanks are approaching the deadly 'rusty tank' syndrome that affects most older mild steel tanks from boats approaching the 35-40 year mark.

The tanks probably have a few good years in them yet, however they do need some TLC.

I have used the usual 'rust buster' products in the past but was wondering if anyone has used other options that are on the market, and how did that go?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Andy

Our tanks are approaching the deadly 'rusty tank' syndrome that affects most older mild steel tanks from boats approaching the 35-40 year mark.

The tanks probably have a few good years in them yet, however they do need some TLC.

I have used the usual 'rust buster' products in the past but was wondering if anyone has used other options that are on the market, and how did that go?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Cheers,

Andy

G’day Andy

I have been advised from a wise steel boat owner that Wattyl Killrust Rust-Eeter is a good product.
I have bought some but not used it yet, the project being engine mounts, after not being satisfied the Bunnings Bondall rust converter did a good job on previous mounts.
In fact reviews from others also confirmed my experience with the Bondall product.

Good luck with the project, and I hope you get some reprieve from the rain soon!

Saw a couple you tubes that didn't show Por15 in too favorable a light.

Personally never used it, has a good reputation from boaters I know and have read.

Just did some rusty storage compartments on my RV, used Corroseal...been using that on and off for 30+ years with pretty good results.

Not sure what's the best, but they all fail if you don't do it just right in my experience.

Ospho has given me good results, and it is very popular with the steel fishing boat crowd.

Are we talking water or fuel tanks?

I have used POR15 on several boats with good success.

I've used Por15 refurbing a corroded motorhome batty tray & compartment and really liked it.

i find por-15 to be brittle and tends to crack if used on something that can flex. then moisture creeps in and works unseen under the hard finish.
i stopped using it on my steel boat as well as my automotive restoration projects.
for rust converters, i used to use ospho, but now use picklex-20. similar products, picklex is a little better(stronger).
for paint instead of por, i now use zero rust. easy to use and touch up. excellent product.
like many things, it's personal preference. i've been using stuff like this for decades and am always looking for good products.

Update for Aussie boat owners.

I contacted the Oz distributors of POR 15, to find they no longer import this product.I was given the name of a company in Warriewood, Sydney called Permanent Paint Coatings-PPC (02-9999 0122). They use a similar generic product and have a good knowledge of tank rust issues in boats. The bloke to ask for is Rob.

File it away for future use.

Cheers.

Andy

Update for Aussie boat owners.

I contacted the Oz distributors of POR 15, to find they no longer import this product.I was given the name of a company in Warriewood, Sydney called Permanent Paint Coatings-PPC (02-9999 0122). They use a similar generic product and have a good knowledge of tank rust issues in boats. The bloke to ask for is Rob.

File it away for future use.

Cheers.

Andy

Thanks for the reference info Andy, I’d be keen to hear how your project pans out.

As mentioned, POR15, It's magic stuff. You only have to remove the loose rust and scabs, actually works better on rust. You may have to make yourself some special tools (extended scrapers, brushes, roller handles but worth anything not to change your tanks. It's as close to a permanent repair as you can get.

Forget importer, contact them directly have it shipped to you and if they won't do that, shipped to someone in the states who will forward to you.

I used a food grade white epoxy paint on the inside of steel water tanks, boat is 24 yrs old.

Steel tanks normally rust through from the inside. so coating the outside may feel good but it won't stop a leak.
The problem is that fuel is lighter than water and so inevitably there is a thin layer of water sitting on the tank bottom doing its damage. The only solution is having large clean outs and, each season, removing the old fuel and drying the tank bottom. At this time you could coat it with a good epoxy if you can get the surface grease and oil free.

Greetings,
Mr. AG. If accessible, coat the outside with POR15.

https://por15.com/

+1 is n the POR15. You don't even have to get to clean steel. It likes it a little crusty. Have a toyota tundra that likes to bath in the stuff. Lol.

Tenacious stuff. I hit a trailer with the stuff in some rust spots. Then went back to burn the springs off with Oxy acetylene torch a week later. Figure the stuff was gonna burst into flames instantly like any other coating. It burned, but held up well in comparison. (Not that flame retardancy is a buying criteria, lol)

Almost every tugboat in the universe uses a product called Corroseal. It works great for converting rust and it cleans up with water. Google it
Gary

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom