Running lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldenstar38

Vessel Make
Goldenstar sportfisher
I hope this he appropriate section for this question.

I have a 1985 Taiwanese trawler with navigation lights with the name DYNA SIGNAL on the top of their housings . The lenses are getting hard to see the running lights through as their exterior surface is deteriorating. A Google search finds nothing for this brand, but the name Aqua Signal keeps appearing. They visually appear to be the same replacement lenses, but not sure if they will fit the Dyna Signal housings.

Does anyone have any experience with these lenses or Dyna Signal? I would rather use the housings I have and pay $19.00 for lenses as opposed to $62.00 per light assembly. Thanks!

I have had some success recoloring aging lenses with paint. That may not be your issue, if you can find lenses that is the best option. Why not order one and see, or check our Commercial Section for a helpful chandler.

I've had success with colored light bulbs.

You could try headlight restorer and a polishing mop, adjust speed not to fast as it will soften the lens. I've used the various polishing compounds 3M etc with great success over the years

I am trying a headlight lense cleaner/polish tonight. I may just buy a replacement lense and try it.

Just remember for your safety and to meet CG regs the light has to be visible at a prescribed distance which should have been established and certified by the manufacturer. If you modify the light make sure it maintains its brightness. I am instructed to flunk boats for safety inspection if lights appear dulled. The common issues are weak improper replacement bulbs and bad lenses. Good to see that you are taking an interest in you lights.

I do take safety into consideration, mine as well as others.
Interestingly, the harbor where I live aboard requires a sheriffs inspection of all safety gear, running lights, etc. I bought the boat 14 months ago and when I read the sheriffs inspection list, I spent 2 weekends aboard just to fix wiring, lights, etc. To my amazement, the initial inspection and my last one last month found them not checking the running lights at all. I was actually rather sad, as I spent a lot of time being sure everything was proper.

I do take safety into consideration, mine as well as others.
Interestingly, the harbor where I live aboard requires a sheriffs inspection of all safety gear, running lights, etc. I bought the boat 14 months ago and when I read the sheriffs inspection list, I spent 2 weekends aboard just to fix wiring, lights, etc. To my amazement, the initial inspection and my last one last month found them not checking the running lights at all. I was actually rather sad, as I spent a lot of time being sure everything was proper.

Interesting I was not aware of a situation where law enforcement was checking marina boats for safety. CG and various marine police do it on the water up here in the PNW but nobody is going boat to boat in marinas. Do they issue tickets if your boat does not comply and I wonder what standards they use.

Sorry, maybe I should have better explained. The liveaboard slips (where I live in SoCal) are granted/offered in limited numbers by the marina, but approved and administrated by the Sheriff's department. The rules, per the Sheriffs department, are that the boat must be 38 feet minimum (for a liveaboard), be seaworthy, meaning it runs on its own power, goes into each gear, has all safety equipment, applicable running lights and legal MDS. They are supposed to check all items on each liveaboard permit renewal (and first approval)

Sorry, maybe I should have better explained. The liveaboard slips (where I live in SoCal) are granted/offered in limited numbers by the marina, but approved and administrated by the Sheriff's department. The rules, per the Sheriffs department, are that the boat must be 38 feet minimum (for a liveaboard), be seaworthy, meaning it runs on its own power, goes into each gear, has all safety equipment, applicable running lights and legal MDS. They are supposed to check all items on each liveaboard permit renewal (and first approval)

Ok that makes sense in Florida the law has also been involved in what appears to be monitoring and trying to limit live aboards especially those on the hook in communities that don't want them.

Just a quick follow up. I ordered the Aqua signal 41 series clear replacement lens for my stern light and it was a direct install! Now, going to try the port and starboard lenses.

Back
Top Bottom