Rudder Bolt Water Seepage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BradC

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Dream Chaser
Vessel Make
38' Marine Trader FB Aft Cabin
I'm planning on pulling the boat in the next 2 months for bottom painting and through hull maintenance. I recently noticed a very small amount of water seepage in through the rudder attachment bolts. and wondered if this hints at any issues I should also be prepared for? Thoughts and comments welcome.
View attachment 100254

Attachments

• RudderPost.jpg
    RudderPost.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 66
A little "weeping" is not a huge issue in and of itself.

First, see if you can tighten the nuts. If the bolt turns it might even be worth it to get a diver to hold the bolt although it probably has a carriage bolt head and should not turn. Tightening may very well stop the leak.

The problem is not with the weeping. It is with whatever else is becoming wet. If you have a cored hull the core could have become rotten already, but I really doubt this by what I can see in the picture, it looks like the hull is well reinforced.

pete

Thanks Pete. The hull is not cored so no worries there. I'll give the nut a turn and see what happens.

Plan on having the bolts pulled and probably renewed when you see the thinning corrosion on them I expect you will find. Seal them up properly and no further problem.

If they are stainless and go through the hull, and saltwater is weeping past one.....

All of them could be trashed from corrosion.

Here's some from my shaft stuffing box

Attachments

• Photo301.jpg
    Photo301.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 46
Sealing goop only lasts for so long.

If you have to drop the rudder have good silicone bronze fastenings handy if the boat assembler used SS.

Look at psneeld's pic, especially the fasteners on the left. I don't think I'd risk turning the nut while in the water.

I would pull the assembly clean it and replace the bolts. It is surprising how often bolts corrode in hidden places. The hull looks green so you may be getting some smells from the stagnant water.

Look at psneeld's pic, especially the fasteners on the left. I don't think I'd risk turning the nut while in the water.

At least not on a weekend or after hours when there is nobody to run the travel lift for an emergency haul-out.

"I don't think I'd risk turning the nut while in the water."

Should "stuff" happen a number of wood dowels is a great item to have under your bunk.

My vote is pull the bolt, check for corrosion, replace bolt as necessary and completely reseal to make a watertight connection. I have found these rudder bolts do corrode and weaken, often snapping while trying to tighten.

Back
Top Bottom