Old 04-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #1

City: Chesapeake City, Md
Creative Alternatives to State Room Headliner

Hi Everyone!
1983 Bayliner Explorer 3270 here!
I ripped out my state room's headliner at the end of last season due to water damage (since sealed) and general lack of care and maintenance. I'm down to the fiberglass, but the angles and curves of this area give me a headache when I start to consider a headliner installation.
What are some interesting alternatives to classic vinyl/carpet headliners that are not only suitable for bends, curves, corners and tight spaces, but also can be done yourself? I'm not concerned with noise or insulation - more just general aesthetic and ease of clean.
Thank you everyone!
Erin
AttaBoy3270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
A few pictures would be helpful.

I've always liked Formica as a ceiling surface. It's lite, flexible, and easy to attach with construction adhesive or screws. Seams can be covered 1 x 1/4" stained wood strips. Lots of colors and patterns to choose from. Also easy to clean. Another choice could be 4 x 8' sheets of bathroom tub and shower panels. They are very thin, flexible, cheaper, and available at the big box hardware stores.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. AB. Welcome aboard! Indeed, a few pictures would be helpful. IF you still have the battens in the overhead, classic vinyl is really not that hard to do. Perhaps some sort of spray on coating...

Another thought...outside the box...https://homeguides.sfgate.com/cover-...int-88929.html
Old 04-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
FF
Guru

If the rib depth is at least an inch and trim battens are fitted sound absorbing , and fiberglass insulation is very east to fit . No overhead weight

The insulation comes 2ft x 4ft and is easily cut with household scissors.

Wallmart can order it delivered to you.

This button opens a dialog that displays additional images for this product with the option to zoom in or out.

ARMSTRONG Ceiling Tile,24" W,48" L,5/8" Thick,PK16 2907

Average rating:5out of5stars, based on5reviews5 reviews

ARMSTRONG

$182.58

Free 2-day shipping
Arrives by Thu, Apr 4
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:43 AM   #5
Guru

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Name: Wingspan
Vessel Model: Aluminum Catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I've always liked Formica as a ceiling surface.
Ted
I like this as well. It's sturdy, cleans easily, and looks good with the right attention paid to the trim battens.

There are also sheets of FRP that would be similar to Formica, but with fewer color and surface finish choices.
Bkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:34 PM   #6
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
I, too, have the same decision to make. I removed the vinyl headliner to accomodate an extensive electrical/electronics improvement project. 8 million staples later, I vowed I would replace the ceiling with something that was removable panels of some sort for future overhead access.

I've looked at building upholstered velcro held panels, similar to some new boats; also considered something along the lines FF suggested. Finally rejected the idea of soft surfaces due to wear and tear considerations.

Went then to faux beadboard (formica? on backing board) and couldn't find anything we liked.

While walking the piers, I ran across a picnic boat with a full hard canopy. I can't recall the make, but its a Hinckly wannabe - I looked it up at one time and found its priced with Sabres and the like. Nice boat. It's a late 80s model with a nice snow white, hard, headliner held in place with teak battens - roughly 2.5' x 5' per panel. Note that the headliner is under cover (the canopy) but in the outdoor environment here in NOLA - the covered area has only canvass side curtains - no environmental controls.

I know the yard that takes care of the boat, so I asked the yard owner what the material headliner was. Answer: masonite (hardboard) with one white coated face - the same stuff I see people buying for DIY whiteboards. The yard had replaced the original a couple of years ago. When I questioned his choice of materials, he advised me that it was replacement in kind - the original had held up for 20-25 years and was only replaced after some event put a couple of ugly dents/holes in it. The yard bought the replacement material at Lowes.

I think that's the route I'm going to go. $15 a 4x8 sheet. Might be worth a look AB.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 04:42 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Saw a headliner system on Ship Shape TV that has plastic strips that screw or glue to the fiberglass. It has a groove that you push headliner material into and it grips the material. Looked very nice and did accommodate curves. They used some type of Sunbrella material for the headliner. This was done on the Taco project boat.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:14 AM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Sintra PVC is a nice light wait alternative to formica. You would cover seams the same way as Formica. Easier to cut than Formica. Not as many color options as Formica but you can just Velcro it to the ceiling.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Saw a headliner system on Ship Shape TV that has plastic strips that screw or glue to the fiberglass. It has a groove that you push headliner material into and it grips the material. Looked very nice and did accommodate curves. They used some type of Sunbrella material for the headliner. This was done on the Taco project boat.
That's the system Mainship used in their late model yr Trawlers. Steve Cyrs "Stella Blue" website has some pics of the system. MS used a light wt vinyl but the material used could also be Sunbrella like.
If you can't find his website I have it on my Bacchus site in the Useful Links section. You will have to scan the site to find the headliner project.
If you go the masonite route I would recommend painting w "cabinet coat" paint. I got mine from Home Depot online. It's a urethane paint meant for refinishing cabinets... good durability, water based urethane so EZ to work with. I started using it at home for all trim.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote