Roof on old trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayne

I havean old 1968 trawler. I need to paint the roof and could use some help on what paint product to go with. It's a plywood roof with fiberglass over the plywood. Existing paint is shot and I'm scraping, sanding, brushing, etc, etc to get all the loss paint off. Oce that's done I'm planning to TSP the paint. Just not sure what product to use and could use some help.

For an easy-to-use, durable, one-part paint Interlux Brightside is very good. We use it on the wood window frames, doors, etc of our boat and if the prep and prime is done correctly it holds up very well over time in the weather. I know several people who have painted their entire boats (some wood and some fiberglass) with Brightside. For larger surfaces it can be thinned and sprayed but most of the people who have used it on larger surfaces, including us, use the roller-tip method.

I'm not saying Brightside is the best exterior paint out there. It's not. But for the kind of project you're describing it might be the most cost and labor effective solution for you.

I agree with everything Marin said. Brightside is good reasonably priced paint.

If you want a more durable finish, you can go to Interlux Perfection, Awl Grip or any of the other two-part polyurathanes. It will drive the price and complexity of your project up quite a bit.

Which ever paint you decide on, I suggest you use that paint manufacturers primer system and thinners as well. Interlux, who makes Brightside, has really good instructions on their website.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom