Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Thank you Marin,
I've been mixing colors. It was a tough choice between GB Beige, Sundowner Buff and white mixed together and GB Beige and white. We choose the latter that could be sorta called an off white and yes there's green on Willy and soon to be more. This Light GB Beige will be on all decks outside and inside the boat. We will be changing the lower cabin color slightly to Sundowner Beige. Sundowner Buff and GB Beige 1-1.

I just thought of another mix I need to try.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:55 AM   #22
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Eric,
This is perfect timing. I just bought 2 gallons of white 1 part interlux from a guy on our dock . I want a buff color and not sure what color to mix with the white . Do you have anything painted yet that you could post a picture ?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
This is a test...pix now
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #24
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Sorry Mule. No pix. Are you on an iPad? If so, you are gonna need to download the app. I use an iphone and finally someone on the forum helped me figure out what to do.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-31-2014, 09:07 AM   #25
Guru

App? I managed to get my boat pix next to the post as you see. But getting into the post has not happened yet.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:32 AM   #26
Guru

Yes the app. I had to go to the App Store on my iPhone, download the Trawler Forum app and then use it when posting pictures. I never cared for the "mobile" version of Trawler Forum, but now that I'm use to it, NBD.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-31-2014, 09:53 AM   #27
Guru

OK good.

The 3 pics of Willy's cabin shows the "Sundowner Buff" .. w nothing added. The last two pics are of the skiff. I mixed equal parts of Sundowner Buff and Grand Banks Beige. I scraped the whole post and re did it to get the color right.

I did the mix as I didn't like the redish or pinkish hue in the SD Buff. It worked well enough. As you can see the skiff is almost void if the pink but there is just a trace of it that gives it a little pazzaz. One could call the skiff color a Tan and Honda Civics of the early 80s had a tan I really liked. Very warm and smooth looking.

Anyway I like the tan on the skiff and plan to use it on the cabin sides. That's SD Buff and GB Beige. At the moment the three color combination is for all the decks excluding the cabin top. Foredeck, side walkways, aft cockpit including the sides inside the cockpit all the way fwd inbd below the cap rail. Also the Salon decks inside the cabin (they are dark green now).

Later I'll take some pics of the new colors and post.

Yesterday I mixed up a new color w 1 part SD Buff, 1 part GB Beige and one part white. All Interlux Brightside. Mixed up two other colors too. One is GB Beige and white. The other is SD buff, GB Beige and white ... equal parts. It's like the skiff but (as you would imagine) lighter. Light enough for a deck color ... I think. I intend to make a test patch of this same color w two parts white.

I mix spoonfulls of paint (small plastic (smaller than a regular teaspoon)) in a Yogurt container. Mix them up and paint the new color on old metal paint cans. It's amazing. On the metal I can't see any brush strokes at all. Must be the smoothness of the metal. Clean the brush and yogurt container and mix another color. It's kinda fun. Different kinds of light give different results. I prefer outside on a cloudy bright day.

What is all this about apps? I have no apps and don't see the need but I don't know what they are for. Oh I did have Navamatics but its only on Chris's i-pad now. Really liked that app.
Attached Thumbnails
STH71275 copy 2.jpg   STH71257 copy.jpg   DSCF0744 copy 2.jpg   DSCF0744 copy 3.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #28
Guru

Eric, what do you post with?

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
TF Site Team

I would like to get just an off white with using the white white . What would you mix with it just to get the off white ? I have 2 gallons of the white .
Old 08-31-2014, 11:50 AM   #30
Guru

Forklift,
Firefox

PM,
I mixed GB Beige w white and got an off white. It came out kind of a cool green or perhaps a green/grey. GB Beige is green. I don't know why they call it "Beige" as Beige is a light brown similar to tan. Later I'll post a pic of the GB Beige and White. My samples on the cans.

Old 08-31-2014, 12:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
if you go to a local paint store I'm sure they can add the correct pigment to come up with the color that you like..more than likely for a nominal charge and you can get them to shake it too!
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Would the pigment have to be interlux or would any poly work ?
Old 08-31-2014, 06:38 PM   #33
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I know that 80's Honda tan you're speaking about......very restful color. The skiff looks great, by the way.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 PM   #34
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I don't know why they call it "Beige" as Beige is a light brown similar to tan.
I agree. If I was a car company and had to put a name to the color I'd probably call it Sage Mist or some such thing. It's closer to sage than it is to beige.

In the early woody days, American Marine offered a two-tone exterior paint scheme on its Grand Banks line of cruisers.. The white hull was GB Beige from the rub strip to the cap rail, and the white house was painted GB Beige in a wide horizontal stripe even with the tops and bottoms of the main cabin windows. I just noticed tonight there's a GB32 woody in that scheme in our harbor. It's not bad looking if you like two-tone color schemes.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 05:07 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Simplest is to use the color page from any big marine catalog, and have the paint mixed .

That way a touch up can be bought anywhere OTS.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 07:19 AM   #36
Guru

Exactly....almost impossible to match. I guess, a full service paint shop might be able to scope it and mix with a suitable sample but I have found that iffy...
Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM   #37
Guru

FF and Mule,
How can I miss the color if I put one quart of X color and one quart of Y color in a gallon can and mix?

Too many people have things done by others that is really simple.

In my case as stated the drawback is that my color selection is very limited. I do business w a very good paint store that does all the mixing and more. So I do have that option. Also I have been bitten by mis judging colors presented on tiny color sample. My color samples are probably 20 times larger.

I just start wondering what color would result from mixing one with another. And then doing it turns into fun and some good colors. Outside of touch up I don't have the need of exact color match up and as long as I'm dealing w equal amounts it's no problem.

I should probably just paint the decks white like they always have been but it seems a stupid color to paint a deck. Even stupider would be black or another very dark color. So I consider options.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #38
Guru

Ok you have good backup. I had problems with house paint in years past. Sounds like u got 'er figgered out... Me, I am kindda a paint code number kindda guy, but by no means do I have the answers, just what sometimes works for me.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:16 AM   #39
FF
Guru

Exactly....almost impossible to match. I guess, a full service paint shop might be able to scope it and mix with a suitable sample but I have found that iffy...

The color natch computers at Home Cheapo and other paint shops works quite well.

They will even use a heat gun to see how the color matches after its mixed.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:02 AM   #40
TF Site Team

I think the off white I'm looking for is similar to an Island Packet color . I'm going to talk with interlux and see if I can mix something with this white to get this