Rode splice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"but then you miss out on the enjoyment of splicing"

Indeed we do miss the joy of splicing , but we can switch from a light anchor line to a heavier one , or choose to use a CQR or Danforth with almost no time or effort.

And the line attachment is always fresh to the chain.

In context... I like the joy of more free time to do other things. Of course, being that I do not imbibe, the leisurely factor of having a beer while splicing does not enter into my equation! - LOL

And, yup, splicing is fun to correctly accomplish... a couple to a few; maybe even four or five times that is. After that... for me... been-there, done-that boredom sets in. Oh, and I don't knit either! Maybe in my 90's I'll do splices and sell dock lines on the wharfs at mariners... If my hands can still take the guff that is!! :lol:

If you Google search "youtube splice Brait to chain", you'll get several to choose from.

Sorry to be a pain, Al, but when I search I get tons of three strand to chain splice videos and quite a few 8 strand or brait eye splice vids, but no 8 strand to chain videos.

You found one for a direct to chain splice? I need it to pass through my windlass.

Thanks

Certainly works, but then you miss out on the enjoyment of splicing and the satisfaction that a splice well done (or even reasonably well done) can bring.

I actually am always looking for something to splice. It is a great excuse to sit in the cockpit with a beer.

Having this as a frequent behavior, I never realized it was infectious or quantifiable as a disease among many.... :D

Sorry to be a pain, Al, but when I search I get tons of three strand to chain splice videos and quite a few 8 strand or brait eye splice vids, but no 8 strand to chain videos.

You found one for a direct to chain splice? I need it to pass through my windlass.

Thanks

My bad. It was a pdf, not a video.

Try this link...

http://www.yalecordage.com/application/files/3314/9011/4625/brait_to_chain_splice.pdf

Here's a post from when I respliced mine.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s42/respliced-anchor-rode-w-question-20516.html

Last edited:

Thanks

I have never done it, but I did find this splice for 12 strand single braid.
https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=915

Here is a pdf file that will show how to splice Brait. It is the 3rd type of splice.

As we don't know how much chain you have before the splice, nor do we know how much rode you normally use when anchoring, none of the above advice is in context.

If you were here, and set up like I am, the following comments may(?) be relevant.
I like the look of a well turned out rope to chain splice. I also dislike the appearance of a weakness at that point, which you now have.
I have 210' of chain backed up by 200' of rope. When I deploy my anchor, I often let out 220', as that will hold me in most depths in my home waters, and will get the rope as the last 10', stopping the noise of the chain rolling over the rocks from telegraphing into the bedroom at night. Or if I am in shallower water, I just use my snubber.
My chain to rope connection is a thimble and shackle. No, it doesn't go over the gypsy well. Neither does a splice. After the connection is past the gypsy I have to change the rode over to the drum side for retrieval, as the rope slides in the slot in the gypsy instead of being well and truly caught like the chain. The drum is much better for rope. I am able to lift the rope and wrap it around the drum while the last few inches of chain are in the gypsy, without drama, though I doubt my wife could lift it at all.
So learn to splice, it will look great. Or don't, it will be stronger, and it makes little difference in actual use.

That's a big difference from those of us with combo gypsies.

Some of us just stand at the helm and pull it up while we hope and pray that the splice will make it through this time and no anchor cleaning is needed.

Sometimes it works...and sometime it doesn't...but most of the time, I don't have to move from the helm. I like it when it works out that way.

That's a big difference from those of us with combo gypsies.

Some of us just stand at the helm and pull it up while we hope and pray that the splice will make it through this time and no anchor cleaning is needed.

Sometimes it works...and sometime it doesn't...but most of the time, I don't have to move from the helm. I like it when it works out that way.

I have to admit that I can't remotely pull the shackle and thimble through the combo gypsy, it can't be done. But I have dropped the rope into the slot in the gypsy and found that it was not satisfactory. It comes up a lot better wrapped around the drum. Also the rope doesn't go down the hole and flake itself in the locker without lots of encouragement, so I am there to provide that encouragement, so always there when the chain shows up and has to be lifted over from the drum to the gypsy.

My first practice attempt to splice last night was a fail. After buying 5 feet of 3 strand nylon and one foot of chain just to practice, I separated the three strands. I was able to fit two strands through the link. When I attempted to route the 3rd though the link, the rope strands started coming apart. I’m not talking about the ends. Those were melted together. What was I doing wrong? The chain was the same size and so was the rope. It almost seems like I can’t fit three strands of rope through a link. I’m wondering if it may be a better idea to tape the ends and taper them. Thoughts?

Sometimes brand new rope is way too flexible to braid. I let mine "age" a few weeks before attempting. I know it can be done, but for me as a novice but skilled braider, I find this works best especially when attempting a challenging braid as you are.

I haven’t done one for about 5 years but I don’t remember having any issues getting the strands through the link. What size line and chain are you using?

It isn’t pretty. And it’s only my second practice attempt. Lol. Only three tucks. I’m sure it’s too loose.

54449624368__48EBE01B-B3F0-4F9F-AED8-0CB24EFCB3D0.jpg

They don’t have to be pretty to work. It will get better with a few practice splices.

Second the new rope being more difficult to work. I try to keep the twist in the strands as I'm working it. I've also used hair gel to help keep the strands from getting too loose. Apply, let dry/set before working the line.

As Comodave says, it doesn’t have to be pretty. Looks good enough to me. I’ll typically do 5 tucks then cut one strand, do another tuck and cut another strand, and then tuck the final strand.

As Comodave says, it doesn’t have to be pretty. Looks good enough to me. I’ll typically do 5 tucks then cut one strand, do another tuck and cut another strand, and then tuck the final strand.

+1

I like to use a thimble and a shackle......Unless you have a windlass gypsy to pull the joint through..

I like to tape the ends and leave extra tape to taper to a point... helps feed thru.
Couldnt tell from pic are you passing all 3 strands the same direction or one opposite the other two?

See
http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsplice/index.php

I put two strands through the link going one way, and one strand going the other way. The one strand went between the two strands. I watched a YouTube video of this being done, and that’s how they showed it. I watched the animation you provided. I think I did it right. I only made three tucks because I was just practicing. I figured there was no difference between 3 and 5 if I’m just seeing if I did it right.

I think you are doing it right. Taping the ends of each strand helps. Using a fid helps a lot as well, although I did it for years without. I have used the marlin spike on one of my knives for a couple of decades as well. This last year I picked up a set of fids similar to these. It makes splicing quicker and easier.

spl218-group-500.gif

spl218-group-500.gifhttp:

I have a fid. Two weeks ago I had no idea such a thing existed. To me it looks like a Stake for Dracula. Once I realized I was going to be splicing, I researched the equipment I needed, so I bought one. I even wasted my money on a book of splices. Meanwhile, I used YouTube as I do with everything else.

Looks like you've got this, Alex. Time to try your newfound skills on the real deal. I find that wearing gloves aid in pulling each wrap or tuck as tight as possible before continuing to the next wrap or tuck. It might help to moisten the line...depending on the line being used. Give it a try on your test piece and see if it helps.

I recommend starting with extra long strands so you have plenty to pull with at the end of 5-8 tucks. If you do a fine taper on the final 2-3 tucks, it'll help smooth the transition of the splice into the gypsy.

I used blue tape after twisting the strands tightly and I tapered the blue tape. It seemed to help.

Cheers!

looks great!

Pull the splices tight as you go and don't worry how it looks. Once you've got all your tucks, roll the splice between your hands or on the ground, back and forth, to work it until it evens out.

Thanks guys for the help! I haven’t been part of many forums, but this has been a positive experience.

How many links are,or should be, incorporated into the splice? They tend to get hidden under the splice.

How many links are,or should be, incorporated into the splice? They tend to get hidden under the splice.

When doing a 3 strand to chain splice, you just use the end link (although I have seen other ways of doing it). If you are splicing multiplait then you use multiple links for the splice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom