Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #21
Enigma

City: Slicker?
The world may run on oil but glass allows us to see where we're going...
Old 10-28-2016, 07:51 PM   #22
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
I rebedded all 7 Pilothouse windows during the spring of 2015. While doing this, I replaced the 3 front windows (lami-glass) as the internal plastic was beginning to fog, and it was a reasonable $80/piece. The glass shop preferred either a template or the original glass. They said that they would not guarantee fits if they didn't have either a template or the glass. I had to replace one of the tinted side windows and it was a bit of an issue as they had to send it out, so it took a week. The non-tinted front panes were available in a couple of hours.

A fellow KK42 owner had a shipwright rebed his 3 front windows and he spent $5,000!
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #23

City: Minden, NV & California Delta
Concerns about using tempered glass.

Our boat Freedom has very large saloon windows and while cruising I had real concerns about using tempered glass. Yes it is much stronger but if broken you literally have a gaping hole where the window was which was unacceptable when we were cruising the California and Mexico coast and occasionally had to deal with heavy seas. I had two broken windows while cruising and was thankful that the existing glass was laminated as a bit of duct tape helped us keep the integrity of the window until we could get to a location where we could get replacement glass. Now that we are back in the San Francisco Bay and Delta area I would not be so concerned definitely safety glass for me when in open ocean
rjwilliams11741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #24
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Well some hope about getting the window made. After 3 attempts to follow directions at which they failed making huge radius sweeps, or glass was sent from them with chips, they told me I must make a full size pattern. They will trace my pattern onto their brown paper sheet and send that into the glass shop friday.

Here is my original instructions, it seems clear to me, yet they kept making 2" radius cuts on the corners.

A circle placed against a square, you think shows is obvious what you want, and the sales counter guy agrees with me, he says the glass shop can not understand this diagram.

And here is my complete full size pattern, which even they can't mess up, ya think?

I have not glued in little teak curves into the frame as I was waiting to see how the glass fit.

I will give them one last try, then have to go elsewhere. Will know by next wednesday.

Goodman has 2 glass shops that can make tempered glass, the one screwing up is called TruLight? in NC.

I have my reasons for using toughened glass, I fully understand the issues. All my other boat glass is toughened glass as OEM. It has served fine since 1970.

I did read commercial boats expecting foul weather put lexan covers over their toughened glass windows on ocean voyages, etc.... Just what I read, no personal experience, so don't rag on me about it.

The ultimate window choice would be laminated toughened glass very expensive I am sure.
Getting the old laminated glass out of the frame it easily cracked and broke, normal glass is very weak being two 1/8 sheets laminated together.

I have been able to remove toughened glass without it breaking.
Attached Thumbnails
20161103_085640.jpg   20161103_085707.jpg  
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #25
Guru

Still no glass! I was told glass would be in today, but the guy says it was not on the truck.
So I ask will it be in on friday?, and he says no, friday is a holiday. SO I say ok, maybe next week? And he says maybe.

I sort of sense the tempering shop since they screwed up so many times, don't want to deal with me anymore. Goodman is the man in the middle.
I blame them both for not being able to deliver the glass.

My idea is wait till end of next week, then call on the following monday, ask about the glass again, and if still getting dumb responses, get a refund and go elsewhere.

And I will have to make a new pattern since who knows what happened to the one I gave them.

This has been an awful lousy experience.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #26
Guru

I gave up, went in and got a cash refund.
He keeps telling me the glass will come in, I tell him I don't believe him, because he kept saying it would come in and it never does. I am not calling the guy a liar I told him. Just that for now I have no confidence the other glass tempering company has any intentions of getting me my glass, this one would be the third piece they would make the other 2 being defective. He says he had called the glass maker after sending them the pattern where it was and was told by the glass maker they LOST track of the pattern I had made, but then they found it again which was why again another delay.

So Goodman guy says he called this company again later and was told the glass would be on last friday's truck to the shop, but of course it never shows up. Then Goodman guy calls last friday telling them it was not on the truck and the glass maker says it will be on today's monday truck and of course it was not. So the Goodman guy says well they sometimes lose track of items on the truck and it does not get off loaded as the truck is full of glass and they miss it.

So I got money back, and the Goodman guy is telling me the glass will be in this wednesday, and If I don't come in and get they will have to eat the cost and destroy it.

What kinda crazy business is going on you think!

I did bring him another small mirror job and Goodman guy says he will do it for free. And come back wednesday the mirror will be done and my window glass will be in.

I have driven to the shop 3 times and called about 3 times with a lot of weird broken promises, so sort of a time waster, but I will get a free mirror.
Old 11-23-2016, 01:01 AM   #27
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Sometimes no matter what is done things go amazingly awry.
Hope you get it sorted out.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Sometimes no matter what is done things go amazingly awry.
Hope you get it sorted out.
I did finally. I went to the shop and got refunded and took the glass made wrong.
I also got a free mirror.

The teak frame I made, the glass did not fit the corners. I made small teak pieces to fill in all 4 corners to accommodate the 2" radius corners which were too big.

However it does now match the corner radius of the other front windows. I just did not want to work that hard...and was worried the epoxy these little pieces might fall off the teak seeing it is an oily wood. I cleaned the small inside corner teak pieces using rubbing alcohol and used some teak dust and epoxy mix. They seemed to glue tight together.

I am coating the outside of the wood with Black PL polyurethane, like 5200 but cheaper cost. This will be hand block wet sanded then filled with sandable primer till smooth and get painted with Topside white boat paint.
I have coated black PL in lots of places under the paint. Imagine having a rubber sheet under your paint. Seeing the boat is wood, this helps seal wood to keep it dry. Never had any paint failures doing this.

So the best thing of all this trouble is I got a free window glass and mirror.
Attached Thumbnails
20161129_132621.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #29
Guru

Not a great picture. I hand sanded dry, smoothed the rubber a little.
Then I used a 3 inch putty knife to slather on several layers of Zinsser primer to fill in the low spots. Sanded and now have brush coats on.
Will sand again and then ready for Topside white gloss paint after cleaning the glass of excess paint.
Attached Thumbnails
20161130_131059.jpg  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 PM   #30
Guru

Glass is glued into the teak frame. I used Loctite Black PL which is similar to 5200 or Sikaflex to secure the glass. I have done several windows using Black PL and it has been working to keep a good water seal.

Got the priming done on the outside facing frame.

Showing the small teak corners I shaped and epoxied to allow the glass to fit the frame.
One advantage, these corners make the frame a little stronger. The frame is doweled together with two 5/16 SS sections of threaded rod, so it was plenty solid anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
20161201_100902.jpg   20161201_101021.jpg   20161201_101007.jpg  
Old 01-05-2017, 05:40 AM   #31
Guru

Mostly finished the swing out window. It does not leak from the rain.
I used 2 loops of low density foam to seal the window one next to the other which loop around in a u shape the edge of the window. Under the hinge, I used a piece cut from a bike inner tube.
The wiper motor will fit in the window and move with the window.

When it is open, a lot of air can freely move in and out of the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
20170104_161658.jpg   20170104_161746.jpg   20170104_161729.jpg