Replacing rear acrylic hatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fullsail

Vessel Name
Brass Ring
Hi. I have a rear hatch manufactured by MANSHIP. It's a SS frame with tinted 1/2" acrylic panel, 28" x 28".

The frame is in excellent shape but the panel is sun cracked. If I could clear it up (thinking headlight restorer kit??) I will.

Has anyone taken such a hatch to a local plastics Mfg and had them cut and install a new piece in the existing frame?

A new hatch is $1250.

Thanks
Dave in San Diego

I have done it. Took out the plastic took it to a local plastic shop. Had them duplicate it in the most UV resistant plastic, don’t remember which it was now. Then used caulk to install it. First I tried 5200 and it was an epic fail. You need something like Sika 295UV of suitable caulk that will stick to acrylic. It then worked fine.

I replaced four hatch panes a year ago. Removed the top frames and took them to the house. Cut the old caulk with a utility knife and popped the panes out. Cleaned up the channels with a paint scraper and plastic brush wheel on a drill. Took an old pane to a local plastics company to cut new ones out of 3/8” acrylic (plexiglass). A little research recommended acrylic rather than polycarbonate. Available in a variety of colors and tints. Bedded the new ones with one of the Boatlife caulks. A good caulk gun with low thrust ratio helps. Cost +/- $300 total, including caulk, and about 3 hours per hatch. Hardest part was removing the hatches from the frames.

As usual there are a few YouTube videos going through all the steps.

Good luck with your’s.

We did the same, used a local shop to cut new plastic. There are also businesses the specialize in hatch refurbishing. Here is one in Connecticut https://hatchmasters.com/ A long way from you but there may be something closer.

Rob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom