Old 05-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Top tip: special order a 5’ piece of 5” pvc pipe, cut a finger slot in the side, screw it to the ceiling of your engineroom and use it to store your spare filters.

Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
I change mine whenever I change engine oil. They are always clean although the fuel I drain off is generally murky. I have never experienced symptoms of clogged filters including any variance in the pressure readings. My boat is old although my tanks have been refurbished within the last 10 years.

pete

Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:54 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I change my 2 micron element when the vacuume gauge lifts off "0"

Takes about 1 1/2 years.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I change my 2 micron element when the vacuume gauge lifts off "0"

Takes about 1 1/2 years.
Any vacuum gage should read higher than "0" when a new filter is installed between the filter and plumbing resistance.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #25
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Both gauges read "0" with new elements. Maybe at the high edge of the "0" line.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:27 PM   #26
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,

There is some controversy regarding progressive filtering but I run 2 micron in both the Racors AND the on engine CAV filters. As mentioned above, the Racor filter elements are much easier to change in a seaway if necessary.
RTF, where do you find 2 micron CAV secondary filters? Inquiring minds want to know.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Englewood Florida.
High Wire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 09:05 PM   #27
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I looked a couple of years ago and could not find a listing on the micron size of CAV filters. The best I could get was Bob Smith saying he thought they were about 5 to 7 micron.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #28

City: Eastsound
Vessel Name: Audrey Grace
Vessel Model: 2003 Camano 31
Change once per year regardless of number of hours including inactive filter if dual racor.
jhance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #29

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Favor Filters

My GB 36 had 7000 hrs on the motor when I bought it. I had a full service done on it including filters. Each year I have a 100 hr svc done on engine, xmission and gen. I also replace the Racor filters. I’m at 7500 hrs now and so far, so good.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #30

City: Kala Point, WA
Replacing RACORs

Regardless of the micron value of primary and secondary fuel filters that you determine best, a key element is how much vacuum your fuel pump has to pull to get fuel thru your filters. My diesel guy says that filtration is nice but having the pump die early because you made it work too hard is more important. With that advice, I changed filters to reduce the vacuum and perhaps avoided a pump failure!
dalemoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. HW. I honestly can't remember where I got the CAV filters. Might be they were on board when we bought the boat. PO had at LEAST 2 of everything spare (AC control board, lighting fixtures, plumbing faucets etc.) A veritable shat-load of spares. Thanks Beau.

Won't be back on board until late fall probably.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #32

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Aquarius
Vessel Model: Californian 55 CPMY
I had Lehman SP 375's and was told by the local repair facility to run 10's for the Racors and 2's on the engines. At least that is how I remember it. Now with my Cats I do the same and my new Cat mechanic agrees.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #33

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
yrs ago, i discouvered a filter system known as the the GULF COAST OIL AND FUEl filters, each uses a bounty 6" paper towell, and filter down to 1, to 1.5 microns! the averaage screw on oil filter is about 28 to 32 microns, racor has several fuel filters, the brown one is 4 micron i think. i started using the gulf coast oil/fuel filters in the middle 90`s, and never looked back! there is a person in nanaimo, bc that handles them. i changed the oil/fuel once a year, 350 hours, for the first 3 years i sent samples in for testing, and with 350 hours on the oil, it was like new, so i quit the testing! my experience with the FRANTZ toilet paper oil/fuel filters, goes back to the early sixties. the oil does`nt start turning dark till about 100+ hours! they make their own filters, but i just buy my bounty 6" paper towells at costco. my main engine is a 70B volvo, which now has 10,600 hours. they are installed as bypass filters! if one goes way back to the start of this forum, there`s a lot of really interesting things to read! i have a FRANTZ toilet paper filter on my 92 dodge/cummins, use SCOTT 1000 toilet paper, change the roll every 2500+ miles, add what`s needed, and usually change the oil at abt 16,000 miles! samples tested clean...clyde
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:54 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Great question and responses. I chose to cut my end of season 10m Racor filter open with a hacksaw. Good proof that the spring 2018 fuel polishing, Biopor JF winter and periodic treatments and mostly Valvtech fuel have paid off. Filter paper came out as clean as a filter maker’s “best” ad picture. So, my suggestion is to cut open your first filter change, and know with a little but not complete certainty how your fuel filter system is working. Last: A preseason fuel polishing and initial early filter change (50 hour?) and hacksaw inspection on the filter are cheap insurance for a first great season on the water. Research biocides, too. BTW, I have dual Racor 10m, and a 10m on the engine. Engine is older, not common rail. Engine manual suggests 10m fuel filter on the engine. Pressure gauge is visible from helm.
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:38 AM   #35

City: port orchard, wa
Vessel Name: skybird
Vessel Model: skookum/one off
clyde fernortner

NCheaven
good morning, as i said, if you go back to the beginning of this forum, there`s a ton of information! several guys that were engineers, wrote a lot of interesting things! i wrote one on a mistake he made on the description of his fuel polisher, and he got pretty hot! [but i was right!] i have 2 racor vacuum gauges, main/genset, they were always in the red, always! i was on a close friends boat, and his were working fine…when i looked close, his had an air bubble! went back to our boat, no bubble!! so i took them apart,and poured out some glycerin, till i had a good bubble, and voila, they now work correctly! [the glycerin is for vibration] does`nt take me long! we were in Alaska in the early 80`s, and the napa store in petersburg said to use 10 micron, 4 would plug up!
diesel was $1.00 a gallon! we had a westsail 32 then, and that trip told me to get a power boat! so we bought a 41 skookum, single volvo, no flying bridge, custom built locally.big oil stove, 400 water, and 600 fuel! we`ve had her for 30+ years! couple more yrs, and she`ll go on the 'for sale' block! age is catching up!...clyde

clyde is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
900fh, diesel fuel filers, maintenance, racor, replacing