Replacement windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farandaway

Veteran Member
I’m told this is the forum to go to with replacement window questions so here I am. I’ve included both port and starboard sides of our boat along with a photo of our most troublesome window in the aft cabin which you can walk through in to the back deck.
I’m looking for a good replacement window company and/or anyone that’s replaced windows in their boat. What manufacturer did you use? Were they good quality now that you’ve had them installed? Did you take the old ones out and how hard was it to match radius and thickness?

Attachments

• 23D47678-03D5-4896-BDBA-212ECA5A4AD9.jpg
    23D47678-03D5-4896-BDBA-212ECA5A4AD9.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 67
  • B77D91A3-8346-4B96-B380-2F82C497CD28.jpg
    B77D91A3-8346-4B96-B380-2F82C497CD28.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 0ABDC61A-4BD6-4490-A48A-5FA381950F59.jpg
    0ABDC61A-4BD6-4490-A48A-5FA381950F59.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 67
Welcome aboard. Maybe look at Diamond Seaglaze windows.

I replaced all the windows on my last boat with windows from diamond sea glaze. The windows are high quality. Windows can run from $500 to $1500 depending on size and features, labor is extra as is shipping. I did 10 windows for around $10,000.

The process, you remove the existing window. You pattern the opening. Send the pattern to DSG. About a month later you get the windows. Then you install them. They make the windows to your pattern, so if the pattern is wrong the window won’t fit and that’s on your nickel.

I have no idea where Vermilion is located. I used AJR in the Vancouver BC area to make our windows. I contacted Seaglaze 3 times and never received a call back. Screw'em!

Tator

Marks Plastics in Corona CA (LA area). Has been making windows for Willards for a long time. Given the OPs houseboat like slab sided windows, should be an easy DIY replacement. Still not super cheap, but not too bad and good quality.

https://www.markplastics.com/

I am sailing this same course. What your thoughts on alumimum verses fiberglass windows. What are the new boat guys doing?

I’ll second Markplastics. Mark will work with you. Replaced my Manatee windows this year. Mark knows his stuff and answers his phone or calls back.
Big caution on making templates - use a stable material like Mylar or other clear film. Do not use paper of any kind including cardboard. The paper material will change size based on temperature and humidity. Learned the hard way

Good luck

For that boat...I would skip all the high end marine window replacement companies and check with RV window replacement outfits.

9 years ago I replaced 16 windows plus shipping for about 1/3 the quotes I got from the boat window guys. They are still perfect after 20, 000 miles of cruising the ACIW snowbirding. 9 years ago, I did 16 windows plus shipping Alabama to NJ for a little under$3500....that included 3 push to open and 3 sliders.

The RV places make custom windows way cheaper, just as nice for installing.......I would recommend the place I used but I haven't found them online for recent threads because I haven't been to my boat lately to get their internet address

Last edited:
You might contemplate changing the style of opening if you spring for custom drop in windows.

The usual boat or RV windows are sliding which means a long narrow opening .

By installing awning windows which can be left open in most rain storms the boat will be better ventilated instead of all "buttoned up".

Usually the cost difference is not high for the comfort received.

The awning type were the more expensive ones...and I only used them where they didn't inhibit passage...but they were worth it.

Some days I wish I had done all 3 forward salon windows instead of just the middle one.

When I built my previous boat I used Wynne Windows. They’re not as pricey as some and maybe not as high end, but they’re decent custom windows.

Wynne Enterprises Inc.

Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom