Removing Old Tape from Fiberglass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Papa Charlie

Vessel Name
Paloma
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4588
Every year here in the PNW to make the boat more comfortable, I put shrink wrap on the exterior of the windows in the salon. Sure helps to prevent the wind from blowing in. I also add a layer of bubble wrap insulation in between the windows and shrink wrap.

In the past I have been able to remove shrink wrap easily with the tape coming off with the plastic and only a little cleanup on the fiberglass. Unfortunately this year the tape let loose towards the end of the winter from the plastic and I cannot get it to come off of the fiberglass.

The double sided tape that came with the window insulating kit, after only about 4 months looks like it has been on there for years and through a summer, hard.

I have tried Goo Gone, WD-40, Olive Oil, Acetone, Rubbing Alcohol and even Mayonnaise. All seem to work for others, but none of these even so much as softened the tape one bit.

Anyone have any ideas? I am afraid I may have to get an abrasive wheel for removing pin striping, but would like to avoid unless I have no other choise.

I have had good success with this 3M product. 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, 08987, 15 oz Net Wt

For removal a 3M pinstripe remover wheel does very well.

In the future use Preservation Tape. It looks and acts like shrinkwrap tape, only it can be removed from fiberglass without leaving residue behind.

Eucalyptus oil usually works very well for adhesive residue removal

Xylene works well on many glue residues. Available at paint and hardware stores.

Back
Top Bottom