Removing Old Adhesive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An old-school homemaker's trick for removing adhesive (stickers on frigs or car windows, price tags, etc.) is to saturate in oil (WD40, butter, spray Pam, peanut butter, etc.) , then scrape with a credit card, and wash with warm water and detergent. Good luck!

I have used GraphXOff with success in the past. If it is baked on use buffing compound and a polisher

Are you able to see the name because of the adhesive or because of the paint color difference?
May look odd but to remove all sort of adhesive I like to use finger nail varnish remover from any drug store (my wife does not like it as much as I do lol). Soft enough not to damage paint but hard enough to dissolve adhesive.

L

Isn't that scented acetone?

It is definitely adhesive. I can see the outline of the letters and the ridge left from the letters.

Its most likely NOT adhesive, but original gelcoat not worn down. Those areas have had a nice covering them since new or for many years

I have redone many skiffs, dinghies, and boats where the old gelcoat is raised and shiny where the decals where. Even took a stripe off a 20 year old hunter 38 sailboat. Compounded the hell out of hull and it looked “better”, but in certain light, you could still see it. After 2-3 years, it blended.

Stop fighting it and learn to accept. (Sorry). In any case, good luck

Last edited:
Try Anti-Bond and plastic razor blades, Anti-Bond removed both small and large graphics with ease. IMG_0070.jpg

adhesive

I am trying to remove the old adhesive from the previous owners name on the front of my boat. I have no idea how long the graphics were on there. I have the lettering removed but the adhesive remains. You can still see the old name, especially the closer you get to the boat.

Here is what I have tried:
Denatured alcohol
Paint thinner
Goo be Gone
Flat razor blade

I have also used a blue scrubbing pad with the goo be gone to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris

It might just be paint discoloration around the areas formerly protected by the letters. If it is old adhesive, acetone should remove it. Be sure and wear protective gloves and don't breath the fumes.

I do this stuff all the time in my line of work. Soften with Acetone- it evaporates quickly so soak a terry cloth rag & smother it. Use patience. Once the adhesive is removed, there will likely be a UV shadow. Use 3M light cutting compound & a wax applicator and go in soft, circular swirls until the gel coat is fairly uniform in color. There will be scratches, so work those with WET sandpaper- 2600 then 3200 and then finish with the cutting compound, followed by fleet wax & a lambs wool buffer. Hope this helps:)

Eucalyptus oil is usually effective but may be difficult for you to source. I`m yet to see a koala with an adhesive label attached :).
Also great for cleaning inflatables.

If all else fails try gasoline. Dip your rag in your tenders gas tank.

On our new (to us) boat, we tried all of the above except the rubber wheel with no success. We also tried GooGone (which, I think, is different from Goo Be Gone).

We finally succeeded with MEK, a solvent you will find in the paint department at Home Depot or Ace. Note that this is NOT MEK peroxide, which is an oxidant used to polymerize polyester resin.

The rubber wheels are made for use on cars -- steel -- and the manufacturer explicitly warns against use on fiberglass.

Jim

Last edited:
I had same problem. My solution may not be the same as yours….
EasyOff spray oven cleaner worked for me! And it didn’t affect the paint.
Ancient Mariner, 37 C&L Marine Motor Sailer.

I had same problem. My solution may not be the same as yours….
EasyOff spray oven cleaner worked for me! And it didn’t affect the paint.
Ancient Mariner, 37 C&L Marine Motor Sailer.

I've heard that Easy-Off works. Remember, though, that some fiberglass boats have gel-coat (colored resin) as the outer surface and some have one variety of paint or another. When using an aggressive material such as Easy-Off, be sure to test it in an inconspicuous place

Jim

If you are trying to remove old adhesive follow the link that koliver posted. The rubber wheels can be used with a cordless drill. The rubber coats the adhesive with rubber dust and it just falls to the ground. All solvents do is melt the glue and allow you to spread it around, once the solvent evaporates the glue returns to being a sticky mess.

After softening adhesive with acetone, spray the surface with goo gone before the acetone evaporates. It prevents the balls of adhesive from sticking again. Then wash with soapy water. I’ve used this method often. If there’s any little remaining, wipe with a rag and acetone.

Removing old adhesive - letters still visible

I used a combination of several solutions, but Easy Off seemed to work best. I was able to remove all the adhesive, but the letters are still visible because the gelcoat underneath has not aged the same. I talked to a professional boat detailer and he said it was very difficult to completely erase.

Removing Adhesive

Try oven cleaner. Worked great for me with the name that was on a boat for over 20 years.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom