Old 05-15-2021, 07:26 AM   #21

City: Sheridan
Vessel Name: Ethos of the T
Vessel Model: 26 Sedan Tollycraft
Thanks to everyone. I have learned several options to try.

This is a great forum.
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Quote:
Originally Posted by trihartsfield View Post
I have tried acetone also with little effect.

Thanks
Citri Strip has removed everything I tried it on, it works much slower and is a different technology than a solvent based paint remover.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 11:03 AM   #23
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
It is definitely adhesive. I can see the outline of the letters and the ridge left from the letters.
I can't see it from here, but that by itself does not mean it is adhesive. It is common to have a visible and feelable raised border on gelcoat with vinyl letters removed. The gel coat has been worn away, except where protected by the vinyl.

You may have to color sand it. The usual method is wet sanding with 800 or 1000 grit on a block to start, then maybe 1500 then compound. You will know very quickly if it is adhesive, as it will sand very differently than gel coat.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:16 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I can't see it from here, but that by itself does not mean it is adhesive. It is common to have a visible and feelable raised border on gelcoat with vinyl letters removed. The gel coat has been worn away, except where protected by the vinyl.

You may have to color sand it. The usual method is wet sanding with 800 or 1000 grit on a block to start, then maybe 1500 then compound. You will know very quickly if it is adhesive, as it will sand very differently than gel coat.
That is good to know about the gel coat being warn away. Didn't think of that.

Thanks for the information.

Chris
Old 05-15-2021, 03:34 PM   #25
Guru

City: Kenai, Alaska
Vessel Name: Melanie Rose
Vessel Model: 1999 Willard PH
I would buff it away, 3M Finesse-It on a wool buffer pad first, and if not removed then a more aggressive heavy oxidation remover by 3M. On the plus side, it will leave a perfect surface for the new letters. I bought some Re-Mov to get rid of old 5200, but it is very labor intensive and didn't do what I hoped it would by penetrating bedding compound.

My local boat yard borrowed it and used it to remove lettering, but did comment it still took a lot of elbow grease... Of course this regimen would be on a gel coated hull, not painted. No idea what buffing would do to paint, but gel coat will come out looking like new and may encourage you to buff the entire hull and wax it. Easier when out of the water of course...
AKDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #26
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
My favorite way to remove vinyl and adhesive is with a vinyl eraser wheel. Even after you remove the adhesive youíll still see the old name. The gel coat under the vinyl has been protected from the sun while the gel coat around it has faded. Give it a year and it will have faded to match.
https://www.amazon.com/Stripe-Wheel-...21021261&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
90F60684-1991-4FB2-BE6C-B5DFECBD51FD.jpeg  
Old 05-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #27
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
WD40, place absorbing clothe over the glue, saturate with WD40, cover with plastic film and allow penetration. use plastic scrapers to remove the glue.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 05:55 PM   #28

Update: 3M adhesive remover is working. Spray on and let sit for 30-40 seconds, scrape with flat razor blade, wipe off and repeat. Then use rubbing compound.

The gel coat is a different color but will be placing new name decal over the same place.

If I have to do this in the future I will be using an adhesive removal wheel. Canít find one local and donít want to wait.

Thanks for all the help.

Chris
Old 05-16-2021, 05:01 AM   #29

City: Winthrop
Vessel Model: Pacific Trawler 40
Quote:
Holy cow that sounds tedious. I may end having to do that.

Thanks

Yes it is. I tried what I had on hand, WD-40, Goo be gone, 303, a furniture polish with orange in it. None of those worked as good as the alcohol. I am afraid to use acetone or any thing like that. But the alcohol did take it off.

The letters were about 8" high and 2 feet long. It took about 45 minutes to take it all off the side of my boat. On the back of my boat, the old name is on a board. I took the board off and put it on a flat surface. Than poured alcohol on the glue, and put a rag over it. Every 10 to 15 minutes poured more on the rag to that it get into the glue. After an hour the glue come right off.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #30

City: Calumet Harbor, Chicago
Vessel Model: Tugs / Tow Boats
I use a heat gun when I pull the lettering off, and then use electro-clean to wipe off the glue.

Just always have that cleaner around the bench, and it works great on sticker glue.
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 12:45 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Canby
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar & MV Southern Star
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood & 1970 DeFever-Kettenburg 52' wood
An old-school homemaker's trick for removing adhesive (stickers on frigs or car windows, price tags, etc.) is to saturate in oil (WD40, butter, spray Pam, peanut butter, etc.) , then scrape with a credit card, and wash with warm water and detergent. Good luck!
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:21 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Grace Harbor
Vessel Name: Seabiscuit
Vessel Model: Mainship 43 aft cabin
I have used GraphXOff with success in the past. If it is baked on use buffing compound and a polisher
Rthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

City: N palm Beach
Vessel Name: Activated Eau
Vessel Model: Vantare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Are you able to see the name because of the adhesive or because of the paint color difference?
May look odd but to remove all sort of adhesive I like to use finger nail varnish remover from any drug store (my wife does not like it as much as I do lol). Soft enough not to damage paint but hard enough to dissolve adhesive.

L
Isn't that scented acetone?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: N palm Beach
Vessel Name: Activated Eau
Vessel Model: Vantare
Tried a heat gun, then the scraper?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:33 PM   #35

City: Northport
[QUOTE=trihartsfield;1004680]It is definitely adhesive. I can see the outline of the letters and the ridge left from the letters.

Its most likely NOT adhesive, but original gelcoat not worn down. Those areas have had a nice covering them since new or for many years

I have redone many skiffs, dinghies, and boats where the old gelcoat is raised and shiny where the decals where. Even took a stripe off a 20 year old hunter 38 sailboat. Compounded the hell out of hull and it looked “better”, but in certain light, you could still see it. After 2-3 years, it blended.

Stop fighting it and learn to accept. (Sorry). In any case, good luck
Alisske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 01:56 PM   #36

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Name: Bluewater
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47
I've had much success removing many kinds of adhesives using 3M 08984 General Purpose Adhesive Remover, available from Amazon here:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-08984-Gene...%2C287&sr=8-46

Milt Baker, Nordhavn 47 Bluewater
Old 05-21-2021, 02:08 PM   #37

City: Vero Beach
Vessel Name: Pearl
Vessel Model: Beneteau Flyer 12
Try Anti-Bond and plastic razor blades, Anti-Bond removed both small and large graphics with ease.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0070.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	117902
Easternshore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:35 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
adhesive

Quote:
I am trying to remove the old adhesive from the previous owners name on the front of my boat. I have no idea how long the graphics were on there. I have the lettering removed but the adhesive remains. You can still see the old name, especially the closer you get to the boat.

Here is what I have tried:
Denatured alcohol
Paint thinner
Goo be Gone
Flat razor blade

I have also used a blue scrubbing pad with the goo be gone to no avail.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Chris
It might just be paint discoloration around the areas formerly protected by the letters. If it is old adhesive, acetone should remove it. Be sure and wear protective gloves and don't breath the fumes.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 04:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Alexandria
I do this stuff all the time in my line of work. Soften with Acetone- it evaporates quickly so soak a terry cloth rag & smother it. Use patience. Once the adhesive is removed, there will likely be a UV shadow. Use 3M light cutting compound & a wax applicator and go in soft, circular swirls until the gel coat is fairly uniform in color. There will be scratches, so work those with WET sandpaper- 2600 then 3200 and then finish with the cutting compound, followed by fleet wax & a lambs wool buffer. Hope this helps
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 06:15 PM   #40

City: North Port
Lacquer Thinner !!

I will second Lacquer Thinner !
The previous name ghosting will only disappear with time .
Northportdiver is offline   Reply With Quote