Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-06-2022, 05:52 AM   #41
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 3,380
Great thread,
Keep it going and like the comparisons. Right now I'm on the fence but leaning toward Rejex.
I use Rejex on the windows and works great.
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:04 AM   #42
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I use the 10%. It's only a 30-foot boat, and since it is under cover, there is not so much rapid evap going on which allows me to cover the whole topside of the boat including fore deck and hardtop before hitting with the rinsing hose. Fifteen minutes tops. I spend lots more time with soapy water ensuring the surfaces are clean the day before I come back with the Permanon spray bottle. Surfaces clean easily because of the previous Permanon application, but it just takes a while with brush, bucket and hose to get ready for the next.
Rich, are you able to spray your entire hardtop? Is it possible to spray it onto a long deck brush and then apply? I always used a traditional wax in then past. This year I tried Woody Wax because it says it's good to use on non-skid and won't end up being slippery. I assume you do your non-skid too. So far I'm not too impressed with Woody Wax. It was easy to use but doesn't seem to last long. But it also leaves a visible film on stainless so after it's dry I need to wipe down the stainless with a cloth. That's not a huge deal but not what I expected.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:42 AM   #43
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 663
Here is some information I received from Permanon.

“ Prep before a Permanon application simply involves making sure it's thoroughly clean. Rinse, wash with a detergent that rinses clean and has no additives (many detailers like to use Dawn Original dish detergent), rinse thoroughly, then apply Permanon immediately, and dry with a microfiber or other lint-free cloth. If you're doing this under the sun, then to avoid water spotting, dry the surface before applying Permanon, then apply Permanon in smaller sections and wipe dry immediately.

I've attached an area coverage charge to help you determine how much Permanon you'll need based on the square footage you need to seal. I recommend you order extra as most people over-apply (which is unnecessary and only wastes the product, but it tends to happen anyway), and it's good to have more on hand for maintenance applications down the road.

Permanon cannot adhere to itself, therefore it cannot be layered. One thorough application is all that's required until it starts to wear away and needs a maintenance application to fill any gaps in the protection.

First time applications on any fiberglass or Gel Coat surface should be applied at a 10% mix to make sure you're filling the pores of the microstructure. Fiberglass and Gel Coat surfaces are much more porous than the clear coats applied to cars. Then maintenance applications can be applied at a 5% mix.

Application instructions are included with every order. You can also find a link to a PDF copy of the instructions at the bottom of our FAQ's page, which is also where you'll find answers to these and many other questions. Here's a direct link: https://www.permanonfinishes.com/faqs
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:46 AM   #44
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,055
Interesting that it says to dry with a cloth vs. Rich's spray on, rinse off method.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:53 AM   #45
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Interesting that it says to apply with a cloth vs. Rich's spray on method.
I think the application is spraying it. Many of these distributors of ceramic recommend using a microfiber to crush the ceramic into the surface. I have spoken to a couple of detailers who say they use that process.

I would imagine that doing so the first time would be a good idea. Doesn’t add too much to the application process.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 06:56 AM   #46
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
I think the application is spraying it. Many of these distributors of ceramic recommend using a microfiber to crush the ceramic into the surface. I have spoken to a couple of detailers who say they use that process.

I would imagine that doing so the first time would be a good idea. Doesn’t add too much to the application process.
I mis-spoke and since edited my post.
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:00 AM   #47
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I mis-spoke and since edited my post.
I probably shouldn’t have responded so quickly.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:23 AM   #48
Member
 
City: Hershey PA
Vessel Name: Hard Shell
Vessel Model: Wilbur 29
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 5
What about Awlgrip painted surfaces? Either of these products safe for that?
Burnt Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:41 AM   #49
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 3,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Norton View Post
What about Awlgrip painted surfaces? Either of these products safe for that?
I stick with Awlcare and Awlwash
__________________
“In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:49 AM   #50
Guru
 
City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Norton View Post
What about Awlgrip painted surfaces? Either of these products safe for that?
if you're talking about original awlgrip (polyester urethane) i would get some advice from them directly. that stuff is tough as nails, but when the surface is damaged, you pretty much can't bring it back.
that said, when i had an awlgrip paint job show it's age, i used rejex on it and it worked well, but required application regularly.
if it's in good condition, as mentioned, the awlgrip products are the way to go.
Bmarler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:21 PM   #51
Guru
 
angus99's Avatar
 
City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Here is some information I received from Permanon.

“ Prep before a Permanon application simply involves making sure it's thoroughly clean. Rinse, wash with a detergent that rinses clean and has no additives (many detailers like to use Dawn Original dish detergent), rinse thoroughly, then apply Permanon immediately, and dry with a microfiber or other lint-free cloth. If you're doing this under the sun, then to avoid water spotting, dry the surface before applying Permanon, then apply Permanon in smaller sections and wipe dry immediately.

I've attached an area coverage charge to help you determine how much Permanon you'll need based on the square footage you need to seal. I recommend you order extra as most people over-apply (which is unnecessary and only wastes the product, but it tends to happen anyway), and it's good to have more on hand for maintenance applications down the road.

Permanon cannot adhere to itself, therefore it cannot be layered. One thorough application is all that's required until it starts to wear away and needs a maintenance application to fill any gaps in the protection.

First time applications on any fiberglass or Gel Coat surface should be applied at a 10% mix to make sure you're filling the pores of the microstructure. Fiberglass and Gel Coat surfaces are much more porous than the clear coats applied to cars. Then maintenance applications can be applied at a 5% mix.

Application instructions are included with every order. You can also find a link to a PDF copy of the instructions at the bottom of our FAQ's page, which is also where you'll find answers to these and many other questions. Here's a direct link: https://www.permanonfinishes.com/faqs
Interesting that Permanon won’t stick to itself and only one coat is recommended. Here is the faq on layering coats from Rejex. Not saying which is better, but they seem to be significantly different chemically.

Is there any benefit to applying a second coat of RejeX?

You have to see it to believe it. You bet there is added benefit to applying a second coat. It is important however to ensure RejeX cures fully before apply subsequent coats. A second coat will deepen the luster and provide more protection. There is however a point of diminishing returns - after about 2-3 coats you’ve gotten all the gloss and protection RejeX can deliver.
angus99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:22 PM   #52
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by angus99 View Post
Interesting that Permanon won’t stick to itself and only one coat is recommended. Here is the faq on layering coats from Rejex. Not saying which is better, but they seem to be significantly different chemically.

Is there any benefit to applying a second coat of RejeX?

You have to see it to believe it. You bet there is added benefit to applying a second coat. It is important however to ensure RejeX cures fully before apply subsequent coats. A second coat will deepen the luster and provide more protection. There is however a point of diminishing returns - after about 2-3 coats you’ve gotten all the gloss and protection RejeX can deliver.
Glad you found that. I may send a question back Permanon’s way. What they said doesn’t make a lot of sense. They have one statement that you can apply up to 100% with no dilution on a boat. They also say most people apply too much.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:37 AM   #53
Guru
 
Cigatoo's Avatar
 
City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,491
Do either one of these products do any magic for oxidized gel-coat?
__________________
Carl
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:43 AM   #54
Guru
 
City: Chattanooga
Vessel Model: Helmsman Trawler 38E
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Do either one of these products do any magic for oxidized gel-coat?
The short answer is no. Ceramic coating will “memorialize” defects, at least until it is worn off over time. The best results are obtained after getting the oxidation completely removed.
Helmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:01 AM   #55
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 4,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigatoo View Post
Do either one of these products do any magic for oxidized gel-coat?
Nope, and I had my oxidized gelcoat buffed and did the Permanon treatment afterwards.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012