Refrigeration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wish to add an outside refer to my 32 Nordic Tug.
I have updated my charging & batteries to handle the extra amps.
There seems to be an abundance of 12 volt portable
Coolers out there. This is how I have looked at them.
If it is built with painted steel will that will rust?
There was a review about the Dometic built with an ABS outside (on a boat). They said the internal steel & motor rusted very rapidly.
Does anyone have any positive experience with an 12 volt (compressor)portable Cooler outside on a boat?
Thanks

We had a Seafreeze deck freezer made of plastic interior and exterior on a previous boat and on Sandpiper prior to installing a permanent built in freezer.

It lasted over 20 years and was in excellent condition when we sold it.

I've seen the metal exterior Norcolds deck freezers rust after a few years.

They are local to where I just moved my boat.
I will check on them as soon as I get back to there.
Thanks for the info.

They are local to where I just moved my boat.
I will check on them as soon as I get back to there.
Thanks for the info.

Dave at Seafreeze is very knowledgeable and provides excellent technical info on marine refrigeration.

Sandpiper has a Seafreeze two door frig and a custom holding plate freezer. Both with remote compressors. Very efficient and reliable..

+1 for Sea Freeze. They built both a custom refer and a freezer for me, 12 volt-only. Excellent products and support.

For comparison we also have a 32 ft. boat, much older than yours though.

We use , a now Dometic, chest freezer., 50L unit in addition to our built in 4 Cu. Ft. fridge.. It does not live on the back deck all year but during our longer cruises, two or three weeks up to two months, it does.

It uses the Danfoss BD35 compressor.

I built a platform of plywood for it to sit on with rubber feet so it does not slide around. There are curbs with open corners so water cannot collect and the unit cannot slide off the platform.
Regardless, It is still tied into place and even in 4 ftrs it has not moved. BY the way the handles are sturdy and they are used to lift it and also to secure it into place on the back deck.

I initially covered it with a blue tarp. Not good enough. The tarp though was cheap and was good as a guide/pattern for what I wanted.

I then had a cover of Sunbrella made of light coloured material, a light grey.
That works. The light colour to minimize solar heating of the unit.
The cover is heavily 303'd to keep the waterproofing working and working well. The cover is also installed so there is a very distinct slope to encourage rain runoff.

THe unit MUST be protected from the weather. NO RAIN allowed. Dometic failed miserably here on controls protection. The controls are NOT waterproof. I have repaired two other peoples units due to water entry to the controls. Once repaired and covered they have since worked fine.

The other protection is from the sun. THe unit's top is dark grey which absorbs heat greatly, get VERY warm, defeating the purpose. It must be protected from all weather. Even a light coloured top will absorb enough heat to be problematic.

My cover is large enough that it protects from rain even in heavy rain so think about where you will mount it and keep in mind wind blown rain. It is also mounted to provide ventilation between the cover and the freezer.

I don't have a plan for what I have done but could come up with a sketch if you go this route.

As far as the cooler goes we have used it for , I think, five summers. As a fridge it has worked well especially once I installed some solar panels.
As a freezer it drew a lot more power, not amps but power [Watts] than I thought it would. There were long periods where it ran quite constantly to keep the food frozen. As a fridge it cycled a lot more reducing power draw.

Your fridge and now your extra freezer/fridge will increase the power use a lot more than you realize especially if used as a freezer.

I had to install some solar [250W] even though I have a large alternator, a smart regulator, technically 660 AHR of battery. After two days the batts. needed a recharge. from a very long run or overnight plugin when we could not get enough solar. Heavy clouds and much rain. If we got enough solar before lights out the solar could gain slowly after a couple days.

It does work and does what we bought it for. It enables us to carry more food generally, allowed for more frozen stuff. When out for up to two months our fridge was not enough.

Ice has become problematic for an ice cooler when travelling into the Broughtons or even Desolation.

If you have questions send a PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom