Old 01-25-2021, 09:17 PM   #41

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
I, fortunately, have no exterior teak on my AT.
On my DeFever , I had excellent results using Semco teak treatment.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:20 AM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Marina del Rey
Vessel Name: Fortunate Sun
Vessel Model: 42' Grand Banks M/Y
Awlspar / Awlbrite

I have that boat that's pretty to look at but no one wants to own -- teak galore. I've been using Awlspar with Awlbrite for about six years and I'm really happy with it. It provides a beautiful deep wet-look gloss (bias noted ).

I gave it two extra coats after the first two and a half years and two more just recently. I don't use covers on any of it. The only drawback is professional application or a fairly steep learning curve.
R lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 09:42 PM   #43
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
You are confusing products. There is Awlwood and Awlgrip.

Awlgrip has a traditional varnish product, Awlspar and Awlbrite. I have not used them. They also have their pigmented lines.

Awlwood is an Awlgrip product that is similar to Imron, an airplane and industrial coating. I think Awlgrip bought the Awlwood product and relabeled it.

Awlwood's first step is a single stage epoxy, in clear, yellow, red, or whatever you want to mix. The rest of the coats are water clear but can be tinted with the primer.

I have not seen a varnish as clear as Awlwood, and it's definition is incredible.

I brush and spray it.

Start small and learn it's quirks. You can go to " grandbankschoices", and see what I have done, but you have to dig back to see my first attempts.

It can be touched up. It also comes in a Matt finish. It can be wet sanded and buffed back to perfect.

Awlwood is an isocynate product, and can lift varnished if recoated, do experiment if not bare wood.

My compass and sign boards look like they are incased in glass. I love this stuff.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 08:41 AM   #44
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
I am using Awlwood thinned 10% to cover the primer. I put on three coats a day to level and fill the grain with a foam roller then sand it the next morning. Here in the Keys the direct sun in the afternoon will cause tiny bubbles to form as the thinner evaporates, but the sanding knocks them down and the next coat fill them, I wait for the late afternoon/early evening to recoat. I am going to put the last few coats on unthinned and finish with their satin topcoat. I absolutely hate glossy wet looking wood!

Anyway, it is very easy to apply and flows out nicely.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #45
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
I have been told the matt is not as hard as the gloss. I tried the matt inside on my counter fiddles. Seems to be holding up very well.

Matt does not show brush strokes like gloss.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awlgrip, caprails, varnish