Recover lost storage space

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabum

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Magic Moment
Vessel Make
Mariner Orient 38 Euro
My boat’s galley counter made a corner and there was no easy storage access to store goods in that corner space. To regain that lost space a friend and I cut an access hole into the countertop and made a dry-sink cabinet. This actually is not an overly difficult project and the picture-frame-like wooden trim for holding the lid for this locker hides and cutting errors we made while cutting the hole.
We used a fine tooth blade to minimize the chances of damaging the countertop material. My friend then build a wood “Z” shaped picture frame-like piece which drops into the hole to provide support for the lid. The actual lid itself is made from the removed piece of countertop material. The frame needs to protrude slightly above the counter surface to both hold the frame in place, and once caulked down to prevent any spilled water on the counter from running into the opening.
The removable lid needs to be cut down to fit inside the frame, and this cutting process will allow you to true up the possibly uneven cut lid. I also added some thin wood trim pieces around the edges of the lid (up to the bottom side of the Formica) to prevent any splintering of the laminate wood under the surface material.
The depth of my new locker goes all the way to the cabin sole so I also added a removable false floor inside the locker and store seldom used article down in the lower level of this compartment.

Attachments

• IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0279.JPG
    IMG_0279.JPG
    100.6 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0276.JPG
    IMG_0276.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0281.JPG
    IMG_0281.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 86
Looks good. Mine already has an access like that. It has a drop in bin that sits on the Z part. Sure gives some good storage.

Mine had one at both ends, turned the one that already was an icebox into a top access fridge for drinks and micellaneous.

Well done!

I'd have made the wood trim flush for easier cleanup. Depending upon how messy the cut was, I would have 'banded' both lid and countertop. Our boat has a triangular flush laminate lid with a lift-out triangular bin underneath; dandy for kitchen soaps and similar.

You might consider a lift-out bin to save emptying the upper volume to access the lower.

Well done. We have one with a fibreglass bin in it that we use for garbage, works great!

Attachments

• D0p0IwnJRour8SptBND9+Q_thumb_3de3.jpg
    D0p0IwnJRour8SptBND9+Q_thumb_3de3.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 63
I bit more of a challenge is fitting a Quartz counter top with a lift out hatch in the corner. When getting mine cut, I asked the supplier who would be cutting it, spoke directly with him, to get an idea of his skill, then had him cut the square hole at an angle, matched by the piece that now lifts out, which has a finger hole in the exact centre. Worked out perfectly, though I don't know how many pieces were wasted before he got it right.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom