Recoring Cabin Roof Seeking advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. The rest of the boat is painted, so I'll put down 2 coats of 2 part primer (Interlux), probably wait until I launch to wet sand it, then 2 coats of 2 part paint wait a few weeks then tape & apply Interlux gray non skid to match the decks.

I'm concerned if I gel coat it the rest of the boat will look bad LOL

Have you looked at Kiwigrip nonskid? We did our decks two years ago and love it. It can cover small defects and is easily repairable. Also easy to put on since it is water based.

I've got the decks painted with the Interlux stuff, so will stick with that.

But on my next boat (Heaven Forbid I live that long) I would use that!!

It's really coming together. Nice and smooth.

Sanded... took about 4 hours. Mixed up a "peanut butter" batch of about 1/3 Q-Cells, 1/3 glass bubbles, and 1/3 low density filler, filled all the little low spots and made the transition from the forward part of the deck (which is higher) to the new section with a nice slope.

I like to mix in some low density for jobs like this as the red really stands out against the white.

IMG_2343.JPG

Finished a bunch of my other little projects too.

Will probably skip a Saturday, as I'm having a garage built at the house and I'm doing the electrical.

Really appreciate all the kind words and encouragement.

Soft coring in decks can happen in almost any brand of boat. Depends on how they were built and also how they have been maintained.

I already recorded the decks... and the bottom 20% of much of the house... and some entire sections of wall... and the aft deck supports... So I’m closing in on having a new old boat :)

i have been searching for the right boat for a couple years now, several i have found had very soft decks that made me walk away. i realize now that most of the trawlers have this problem ...however, i was told that albin trawlers used mahogany in their decks which is much less prone to rot...anyone know about that ?
also since i am looking at early to mid 80s boats the fuel tanks are a concern. what does it cost to replace fuel tanks on a single screw trawler ?

Depends on how you replace the tanks. I cut mine out myself with a recip saw, and replaced with 4 27 gallon plastic. IMHO a coastal cruiser that burns 2 gal/hr doesn’t need 300 gallons of fuel. My fix was about a boat unit.

If you can lift the engine out, you can get big tanks back in fairly easily in a single. Many people have built an a frame in the salon and done this themselves.

The decks rot from lack of maintenance, not because of the coring wood type.

For those of you following my adventure the cabin roof is faired, primered, and beautiful! I’ve been slammed with work will post a picture this weekend.

Last edited:
My Albin had teak blocks in the flybridge and plywood in the main decks...less prone but still rotten in places..?several soft spots up and down.

Fuel tank replacement...$10,000 grand plus or minus depending on single or twin and then tank material and desgn... or bout $800 if you DIY and use a couple smaller off the shelf poly tanks that frees up a lot of engine room storage as a bonus.

that is a good point , never quite understood why most of them have such big fuel tanks...space could be used for other things

" never quite understood why most of them have such big fuel tanks.."

Even though most cruisers are not ocean going vessels , range has a selling point.

In the Bahamas a large tank of diesel for the visit can save .

Fuel from commercial fishing suppliers is usually both cheaper and cleaner than "yacht marina" sources , but they want to sell volume. Big tanks help.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom