Old 01-06-2021, 10:33 AM   #1
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Recommendation please: Propane Solenoid/Switch?

Due to refit, my propane system is a blank slate. My propane locker has room for two 20# cylinders. I have a Seaward 3-burner stove/oven beneath the propane locker; and a BBQ grill that is right next to the propane locker.

Questions for the collective TF wisdom:

1. Propane Switch/Solenoid -
- with or without fume detector? I'm thinking keeping the detector separate
- recommendation for brand? I see Trident, but also see they get so-so reviews
- Any reason not to use a commercially available 12v solenoid and just run a switch with indicator light?

2. Regulator recommendation - two tank with switchable source (one tank or the other).

Thanks in advance -

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #2

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
I'd make sure the solenoid was rated for propane. Didn't see that in the link. Something to check.

On our RV I found out the regulator would automatically switch to the other tank when one was empty. Nothing like having 2 empty tanks... Just something else to look at.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #3
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
I like this one

Fireboy Xintex Propane (LPG) Fume Detector w/Solenoid Valve

Served well as a full time liveaboard for 3 yrs.
Old 01-06-2021, 11:55 AM   #4
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I don't like integrated fume detectors that shut off the solenoid when propane fumes are detected. They often fail. If you have to have one, make it separate.

Trident sells a package consisting of a propane solenoid and pressure gauge which is what I would use. Make sure that your tee for the BBQ is inside the locker and all hoses run continuously from the locker to the user, ie no fittings inside your boat.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
I like this one

I installed this one too. My twin cylinder locker came from West Marine, switchable single regulator. Two gas sensors, one behind the propane/110 VAC refrigerator and one below it in the engine room.

We cooked with electric. In your case, think about a refit to propane refrigeration. It's a liberating experience.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Nothing like having 2 empty tanks...

Better a manual switch over. I have a 20 and 11 pound tank. I switch to the 11 when the 20 has run out. I fill the 11 before it runs out of propane. This way there is no surprise discovering I have no propane at all. And if you have room and are cheap, purchase a cheap small convection oven and a single burner induction top and use these two items when cooking using shore power thus saving propane.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solly View Post
I'd make sure the solenoid was rated for propane. Didn't see that in the link. Something to check.
The generic valve in the link above should work fine as it has a viton seal which is a good choice for propane according to my chemical compatibility chart (which is the chart we used at the company I worked for that designed and manufactured solenoid valves).
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/s2a/

This is the system I have used for 15 years. If something fails it turns the system off. If it detects fumes it turns the system off. If it looses power, it turns the system off. I can manually turn the solenoid off if desired.

The weak ness is with the fume detectors. They eventually go bad and it turns the solenoid off. Unplug the fume detector and the system goes back to functioning.

I am not sure if this model is still in production but a newer version might have solved the issue of failing fume detectors over time.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:42 PM   #9
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/s2a/

This is the system I have used for 15 years. If something fails it turns the system off. If it detects fumes it turns the system off. If it looses power, it turns the system off. I can manually turn the solenoid off if desired.

The weak ness is with the fume detectors. They eventually go bad and it turns the solenoid off. Unplug the fume detector and the system goes back to functioning.

I am not sure if this model is still in production but a newer version might have solved the issue of failing fume detectors over time.
Me too...flawless for 8 years now.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:12 PM   #10
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portage_Bay View Post
I like this one

A little more expensive than the Trident but it's what I use. Local company here in Grand Rapids so I'm a little biased. I don't see any point in having a separate detector and control. The combined version shuts off the gas when a leak is detected so it even works unattended. Separate them and you might come home to a hole in the water where your boat used to be.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #11
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
Nothing like having 2 empty tanks...

Better a manual switch over. I have a 20 and 11 pound tank. I switch to the 11 when the 20 has run out. I fill the 11 before it runs out of propane. This way there is no surprise discovering I have no propane at all. And if you have room and are cheap, purchase a cheap small convection oven and a single burner induction top and use these two items when cooking using shore power thus saving propane.
I have one of those auto switch units too. After running out of gas in both tanks I now keep the backup tank turned off with the manual tank valve. The extra cost of the auto switch is wasted, I have to open the locker to open the second tank, I might as well have to switch over a single regulator instead. Next time I'll do two tanks with a single regulator that I swap when needed.
jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:27 PM   #12
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I have 2 tanks, 1 regulator and I replace the tank by the other one when empty. Anyway I will have to take it out to refill it so this has to be done. No solenoid either, I planned to install one in the first place but get use to open/close the tank when I do not use it. Manual is more reliable for me, I open it when start cooking and close it when done, not a big deal as tanks are easily accessible, simple.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
No recommendation on the valve, but when considering a propane stove for my boat, I thought about using a spring wound timer switch. They're offered in a number of different time values, but I thought the 60 minute value was a good choice. While it goes to 60 minutes, you could choose a lesser value. Situations change on a boat. Having an auto time off seemed like a good safety feature.

https://www.intermatic.com/en/in-wal...timers/fd60mac

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
No recommendation on the valve, but when considering a propane stove for my boat, I thought about using a spring wound timer switch. They're offered in a number of different time values, but I thought the 60 minute value was a good choice. While it goes to 60 minutes, you could choose a lesser value. Situations change on a boat. Having an auto time off seemed like a good safety feature.

https://www.intermatic.com/en/in-wal...timers/fd60mac

Ted
Thanks Ted. I like this suggestion. After years of digital timer switches at home, I've reverted to plain mechanical switches like these.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 07:37 AM   #15
FF
Guru

The mechanical switch should be pared with a good quality off/on switch , and a red light that is easy to see should be on when the gas is on.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:16 AM   #16
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
We also have a Xintex unit (Mr. t's post #8). I check the sensor on a regular basis with a BIC lighter in the gas locker. Works as advertised. Going on 8 years, as well.
Old 01-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #17
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Propane solenoid valves are available from industrial suppliers at about 1/3 the cost of a marine supplier. In most cases it is the same product, manufactured by the same factory. The marine channel is expensive. Same is true of gages and regulators.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I use this valve still have the spare I bought at same time 9 years ago and am a liveaboard using stove nearly every day, mostly 2X/day.

Thought it was recommended by "Marine How To" years ago..... $38.00

https://shop.buyafcvalves.com/product.sc?productId=6

AFC 151 Solenoid Shut Off Valve

The AFC 151 (12v) is compact multi-purpose 2 way normally closed solenoid shut off valve that will provide On/Off control of air, gas and other media. The valve has one inlet and one outlet and does not pass fluid or air until the coil is energized. Pipe Size: 1/4" NPT Orifice: 0.110 Cv: 0.35 Pressure rated up to 312PSI Also available in 24v; please call for ordering information
Attached Images

psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 01:15 PM   #19

City: Lynden
Vessel Name: Joint Venture
Vessel Model: 1978 GlasPly 2800 mid cabin
I installed two of these: https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...P-1BS-R_3.html 10 years ago, one for the stove oven and the other for the furnace. I like the automatic feature of shutting off the propane solenoids in event of a leak. I use two sensors, both mounted slightly below the hose attachment locations at each stove/furnace. I also installed: https://www.defender.com/product3.js...6254&id=730278 at each solenoid in my propane locker which is mounted on my swim step.