Rebedding Grand Banks windows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Texas Lady

Vessel Name
Texas Lady
Vessel Make
1979 42 Grand Banks Classic
I am in the process of rebedding windows on a 1979 42 Grand Banks. I have searched the site and have seen several comments which are helpful, but would appreciate some helpful hints from those that have tackled this.

First, I have started on one small slider window and we were able to remove frame without breaking and I am preparing to replace a cracked window and all of the tracks.

Questions: I think I have misunderstood how the weep/drain hole functions. I have cleaned the drain on the interior side of the window often. Upon taking the old track out I now see a hole in the rear part of the track on the exterior side with a channel in the wood frame to drain the track. It did not have a copper tube like the interior. Is this the original design?

The S.S. Tracks were not screwed to the window opening, but held in place with the sealant/ adhesive.

When I cut the new track I will need to drill a weep hole and align with the frame channel and ensure it can flow freely when I attach and seal the wood frame. It seems some type of tube should be added.

I plan to Rebed the new track with a liberal amount of Sikaflex 221. Set the track in the opening. Rebed the wood frame with Dolfinite, with a small bead of Sikaflex on the outer edge of the frame.

So, I am not clear on when the actual window pane should be set in. Should there be enough of a gap to add the slider in once the track sealant has dried, or is the slider set in with the track?

Thank you and any thoughts on what I may be missing is appreciated.

As to the drains, I think GB and IG are similar. The outside drain does not have a tube but it could. The other way is to drill the hole larger than needed, fill with epoxy, and drill the drainhole in the epoxy, and paint.
You are right to keep the interior to exterior drain tube clear. I use wire. Someone used a drill on one of mine, it penetrated the tube, the water drained into the wood....with predictable consequences.

Thank you BruceK. I will follow your lead on the epoxy.

Texas Lady, any photos of the job, your progress, would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Greetings,
Ms. TL. Seems you're proceeding in the right direction. I can't offer any GB specific information but you might consider sealing the opening with epoxy before reinstalling your tracks and frames. I like the Dolphinite for bedding although I admit I have used butyl tape on occasion in recent years.

There are many detailed posts on the Grand Banks forum. Lots and lots :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom