Rebedding exterior hand rail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
I want to repair a few small rain water leaks by sealing the mounting pads on some of my SS hand rails. Butyl tape is my intended approach. Re-Bedding Deck Hardware Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
Today I removed the 6 mounting screws which looked to have old Dolfinite around them. Tugged and tugged, but could not pull the hand rail off. Any ideas here that don't involve gouging the surrounding FG??
img_189365_0_8d832554ce60d56de43e9bbd115d1a9f.jpg
img_189365_1_b92bb25432294375bc96d8ea99c6aed2.jpg

Heat gun gently on the SS base should help soften the stuff. Use a low heat and play it on the base to warm slowly. Use the smallest nozzle on the gun that you can to avoid warming the fiberglass.

As soon as you can get a sharp knife blade under an edge then you can likely cut it .
I like the Olfa knives for that as they are SHARP and thin.

As an edge comes up use some wedges of wood or plastic to hold the gap open.

Would the old use fishing line trick work? I have removed a lot of glued on automotive trim and glued in glass that way.

Plus two on both the above. I've used fishing line and guitar string with heat. I worked to get an edge with a razor scraper, then a thin putty knife, etc.. Use heat though.

All great ideas. Thanks all.

Betcha somebody bedded it with 5200. You're going to have to blast... Or just fill the holes with your butyl tape and put the screws back.

I just removed my wood cap rail and wood stringers . One area about 18" long the stringer was bedded with 5200 .It took some glass off with it. That 5200 is some mean stuff.I think I'm going back with 4200 .

Yes a heat gun or hair dryer on the mounting for about 3 minutes and the 5200 should break down.
If you can get behind with a very thin and sharpened putty knife you can remove it without heat.
Put some cardboard or thin plastic like a bondo spreader against the glass and you won't cobble it up.

If it's just bedding I prefer Dolfinite. I've taken apart things bedded in Dolfinite that had been there a very long time and the Dolfinite was soft and pliable still. I think Willard used it under the original bow cleat.

I have found 5200 comes loose once the tension in the joint is released. The Fein Multimaster with a scraper blade works well. I use a sheet of plastic to shield the fiberglass/gelcoat.

Also have had good luck using a soldering iron to heat the fittings.

I also have had to learn to do fiberglass epoxy repair. ;)

If it's just bedding I prefer Dolfinite.

You bet , bedding has a life , and it needs to be refreshed at times.

5200 is GLUE , great for the hull deck joint , or other items that do not get serviced , ever.

I just removed my wood cap rail and wood stringers . One area about 18" long the stringer was bedded with 5200 .It took some glass off with it. That 5200 is some mean stuff.I think I'm going back with 4200 .

5200 = Satin's Glue

Our window frames (9) were bedded with 5200 and glass came off when we removed them. We are now putting in new counters and backsplash in the galley and head. The PO used 5200 to glue the tile back splash in place. In the removal process, it took the Formica off of the interior wall in sections and yes, I tried the various removal techniques.
5200 = :banghead:

Attachments

• 006 (2)a.jpg
    006 (2)a.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 105
Next trip to the boat I'm gonna apply the suggested removal techniques and then cut the countersinks for screws per referenced article and bed with butyl tape that I recieved. (Thanks Al ;))

If it's just bedding I prefer Dolfinite. I've taken apart things bedded in Dolfinite that had been there a very long time and the Dolfinite was soft and pliable still. I think Willard used it under the original bow cleat.

Agree, same experience with items bedded on my Willard, good stuff for bedding, but bedding only. Good to have aboard and lasts after opened. Why is it so expensive? Is it because dolphins are a protected species?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom