Reattach these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mentioned it earlier, but VHB tape seems ideal for this. Easy to use, very quick bond, and super strong once set.

The ceilings are attached to a teak plywood backing. I am painting the backing white before I reinstall the ceilings.

I had missed the plywood backing detail earlier. Knowing that, screwing the slats in seems like a great idea. (Obvs you will use an appropriate length.) You will also be able to remove one or all in future for any reason.

Last edited:
I second the VHB tape. If the teak strips are thick enough you could also do screws followed by teak plugs. Being lazy, I would go with the tape.

I like VHB tape, but not sure about it for these slats. Maybe you all are getting one of the less common sizes (?), but the usual stuff I get has 1.1mm of foam backing. Maybe you can order it with less, but that's what I typically see in your basic 4941/5952, etc.

I wonder if that would trap dust and stuff along the upper edge (where you already have a slat edge, plus now foam and perhaps a tich of adhesive).

It also seems like it would be a bit of a bear to get it all perfectly placed (keeping in mind the OP will have highly contrasting white "stripes" between each slat). And then you have to apply X amount of pressure to help the tape set. Can the plywood backing accept this pressure (not sure how it's attached or how thick it is)? Will the slats "creep" out of position?

I'm not saying it can't work; more just sharing the thoughts I would be having if I were considering it as an option.

Personally, I'd use screws, perhaps making some sort of layout stick for the holes/slats. I guess with the white stripes, I'd be thinking some day I'm going to need to repaint those, or some other inevitable boat maintenance chore that would involve removal.

I bought some teak veneer with PSA backing off ebay. Worked very well and looked just like the real thing. With the PSA you might not need anything else to hold the veneer in place while you attach the teak strips.

Thanks Frosty. You can get various tapes for various purposes. I was imagining a thin tape applied the length of the slat. You'd have to be careful positioning the slat, but maybe use spacers when laying the slats in.

I'm not an expert, but have recently discovered the product. Sorry if I'm evangelizing...

I'm not an expert, but have recently discovered the product. Sorry if I'm evangelizing...

No worries! I do like VHB a lot. It's holding solar panels to the roof above my head right now (RV). I probably wouldn't use it in this case for the ceiling, but that doesn't mean anyone else shouldn't. As the OP I would want to hear everyone's ideas.

(As I read about you recently discovering it, I had a vision of how I was measuring the temp of everything in sight when I got my first IR thermometer. It's what we do!)

(As I read about you recently discovering it, I had a vision of how I was measuring the temp of everything in sight when I got my first IR thermometer. It's what we do!)

Heh. My kids still talk about the year I got my first IR gun under the Xmas tree.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom