Raw Water Strainer Elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikek

Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
Grand Banks Classic 36
I need to replace the elbow on the main engine raw water strainer. Perko has them with pipe end measuring 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches and hose end measuring the same. My issue is the calipher is measuring the existing elbow at 1 3/8 for the pipe and 1 1/8 for the hose. Do I go with the 1 1/4 and hope it works?

I certainly wouldn't install if it wasn't water-tight. I can't seem to find an elbow with the measurements I have.

I certainly wouldn't install if it wasn't water-tight. I can't seem to find an elbow with the measurements I have.

Someone made the one you have so keep looking.

Is it an engine part? If so, check with the manufacturer or a parts distributer.

Was there a standard for an '86 Grand Banks Classic 36? Looks like it could be original.

what engine? Lehmans?

scratch that, what strainer? groco 1000? or 1500? groco sells elbows too by the way.

Last edited:
Yes, 135

Thanks, still don't see the size. This is a photo, overlook the wires, will fix that while I'm down there. IMG_1325.jpg

The elbow in the photo looks like it's been bastardized to make do.
Looks like a too small elbow patched in there with a reducing bushing, or something along those lines.
All the hoses/fittings in the run should be of the same size.
I would turn off the seacock and remove the strainer and its plumbing for a good cleanup and inspection.

Threads are 1 3/8 inches.

Odd size, don't see that anywhere.

I would salvage this thing by silver brazing using an acetylene torch a modified ground to fit bronze reducer or pipe coupler into perhaps a ground to fit hole in the housing. Or but weld it onto the existing 1 3/8 coupler. Or weld in a threaded bronze nipple.
That gives you a standardized new thread to attach a standard elbow.

A Harris 15% silver rod works great on bronze. I know how to weld, if you can find someone, silver brazing with an acetylene torch is easy. Needs to be a good fit or it will flow out of the join.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I was trying to minimize down time but it looks like I need to pull the strainer and do things properly, replacing whatever needs to be replaced. Elbow has a drip and I'm sure it's only going to get worse if not addressed. Thanks again.

Remove the failed elbow and take it to a plumbing supply store (not a home center). Walk up to the counter and show it to the man (or woman). Tell them you need a replacement in bronze. If there's a reducer or adapter, remove that as well.

Use pipe dope, not Teflon tape when reassembling.

At last being an old Eng has an advantage, there's nothing been changed or "Bastardized" there at all , many years ago this was the norm found on older sea strainers,

What you have is a large NUT holding the elbow in place some had seals other relied on metal to metal curvature ball face to seal, coming out of the strainer is a MALE straight NST thread and yes 1 3/8 is A COMMON SIZE for NST Straight (Called NST) National Straight Thread),HAS 8 THREADS PER INCH, These came out in the same size 1 3/8 for 3/4 pipe and 1 " pipe (hose barb), they are designed with the nut so they can be adjusted to point different ways then locked up!

Hard to find the these days as have been replaced by NTS National Taper Thread , normally can be repaired by silver solder brazing if holed etc, cant find my pics as yet but below will give you the general idea of how it works/looks, this is plumbing fitting but you should get the idea!!!

Cheers Steve:thumb:

Attachments

• images (2).jpg
    images (2).jpg
    4 KB · Views: 352
At last being an old Eng has an advantage, there's nothing been changed or "Bastardized" there at all , many years ago this was the norm found on older sea strainers,

What you have is a large NUT holding the elbow in place some had seals other relied on metal to metal curvature ball face to seal, coming out of the strainer is a MALE straight NST thread and yes 1 3/8 is A COMMON SIZE for NST Straight (Called NST) National Straight Thread),HAS 8 THREADS PER INCH, These came out in the same size 1 3/8 for 3/4 pipe and 1 " pipe (hose barb), they are designed with the nut so they can be adjusted to point different ways then locked up!

Hard to find the these days as have been replaced by NTS National Taper Thread , normally can be repaired by silver solder brazing if holed etc, cant find my pics as yet but below will give you the general idea of how it works/looks, this is plumbing fitting but you should get the idea!!!

Cheers Steve:thumb:

That looks to be a copper elbow (in Steve's photo) and that's a no-no for salt water or a boat that might ever be run in salt water. Also, the end is not a hose barb, it's for soldering to copper pipe. You can't count on a hose staying on that fitting.

It doesn't really matter what is on there now, what is needed is a way to connect the hose to the strainer. As I posted above the plumbing supply store will likely have it. West Marine might have it and at West Marine you can buy two or three different sizes and return the ones you don't need if necessary. Again, bronze, not copper.

That looks to be a copper elbow (in Steve's photo) and that's a no-no for salt water or a boat that might ever be run in salt water. Also, the end is not a hose barb, it's for soldering to copper pipe. You can't count on a hose staying on that fitting.

It doesn't really matter what is on there now, what is needed is a way to connect the hose to the strainer. As I posted above the plumbing supply store will likely have it. West Marine might have it and at West Marine you can buy two or three different sizes and return the ones you don't need if necessary. Again, bronze, not copper.

WHAT I SAID WAS: this is not the fitting this is a photo to give you a general idea of the set up ONLY! I also stated it was plumbing fitting

CAPTN STEVE, I have the same set up as Mikek on my GB 42 and mine is not bastardize your right on its a fitting to screw on and point the other end to the way you need it to point, and you are correct about the pipe size.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. I was trying to minimize down time but it looks like I need to pull the strainer and do things properly, replacing whatever needs to be replaced. Elbow has a drip and I'm sure it's only going to get worse if not addressed. Thanks again.

Mike,

Below is the link for the 90 degree TPC elbow with straight thread available at defender, they come in two pieces the nut and the elbow, the only issue i see is that they dont show 1 3/8 but would give them a call as stated earlier 1 3/8 was an older commonly used size by Groco and they may have or link to?

Groco TPC-Series 90° Tail Piece

Cheers Steve

if measured 1 3/8" at threads, probably 1" NPT.

In the not too clear picture shown, the hose appears to be pinched in where it fastens to the elbow.
Could that be an 1 1/2" hose clamped to a 1 3/8" or 1 1/4" elbow?
OP hasn't said what is wrong with the elbow, does it leak, or is it known to be the wrong size?

Are we over looking something? Looking at the hose why are you trying to install a flow restricting 90 degree elbow?

Question: How can you tell when a piece of equipment has exceeded it’s designed life cycle?

Answer: When that piece of equipment looks like this............
IMG_3001.jpg

A few minutes with some Brasso and an old toothbrush and that strainer will be as good as new! ;)

A few minutes with some Brasso and an old toothbrush and that strainer will be as good as new! ;)

You can't judge a book by its cover.
While the strainer does look dilapidated, its function is likely as good as it ever was.
If the elbow is leaking from the threads, pull it off, clean it up, reinstall it with a generous slathering of Rector Seal on the threads.
Is it leaking at the barb?
Maybe that hose is the bastard?
Does the hose go to the raw water pump?
What does the other end of it look like?

Bilge area. The wires would never pass survey. The whole area needs cleaning and up date.

Just went through a similar issue with my generator raw water hose. Onan lists 1" as the size, but the hull valve was a 1 1/8" barb. Have no idea how the last fool was able to get that to fit? So, I replaced the elbow. Also found copper pipe used to splice two pieces of hose.

Daniel

Back
Top Bottom