Raw water flush with Rudlyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1444412961.199175.jpg

I meant Rydlyme.

I'm getting a tremendous amount of foaming and crud coming out, so I guess that's a good thing ?

It has been circulating for only 20 minutes.

I mixed it 1:1 per instructions I read on their site. Hope that's right.

Reason I'm trying Rydlyme is because a tech supposedly did this flush with Barnacle Buster right after I bought the boat (I was not there to see what was done and I can't get in contact with him), but it didn't have any effect. I'm not sure he did anything based on the dirty stuff coming out.

Last edited:
I've used it. Keep pumping until the foam goes away. Takes a few hours.

Ok. Thanks. I'm kind of excited crud is coming out. Hopefully this helps my slight overheat situation.

I had to buy another gallon to keep liquid in the bucket because of the foaming. Keep an eye on that.

I was wondering about that. I had to order this stuff so hope that isn't the case. Guess I could add a but more water if the pump starts to suck air.

That foam indicates that you had LOTs of carbonate scale in that system. But foam is good, keep circulating few hours until it dies down. Also looks like your former mechanic wasn't so honest.

David

That foam indicates that you had LOTs of carbonate scale in that system. But foam is good, keep circulating few hours until it dies down. Also looks like your former mechanic wasn't so honest.

David

It would appear so. Sigh.

Maybe he flushed the coolant side. I have no idea. I hate letting others work on my boat.

Oh ****. I didn't.

Just kidding. No zincs on this engine.

?

Just did the Rydlyme last week. It foams like mad. Took about 4 hours before it quit on each engine. Lots of crud came out. Product was not too bad price wise but the shipping on 5 gallons was over half the cost of the product!

Just did the same, using Barnacle Buster. Had it in there for 4 hrs, circulate for a while, sit for a while. Did not get much out, but wasn't having any problems. No foam though. Hopefully all is well for another year or so.

Why RYDLYME and not Barncle Buster? We have a 28 year old engine and as far as I know it has never seen any of these products. We don't have any issues but ... Pros/cons? Recommended as PM? Any thoughts would be appreciated. :)

Only reason I did Rydlyme was because a tech had allegedly used BB already 12 months ago and I wanted to try something different. Judging by the amount of crap that came out I have my doubts if he did anything.

Did a quick run today and the temp issue is better by about 5 degrees. Not perfect but better.

Is BB supposed to be better?

Last edited:
At WOT it got up to 190, and it took awhile to get there. Before it got up to 200 pretty quickly.

So it only got to 190 at WOT? And once at 190 did it just stay there and not rise any higher? What was the temp. at cruise RPMs?

Finally have you confirmed your temp. gauge is accurate?

At cruise it's a little less than 180.

Yes it stayed at 190 at WOT.

I used a infrared thermometer to confirm the gauge was correct. It seems pretty close to accurate.

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom