Question for those of you who recored your deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrwesson

Vessel Make
1979 Mainship 34
How much Resin did you use?

I'm redoing a 8'x4' section and seem to be tearing through this stuff by the gallon.

Original deck was 1/2" but can't get the bends I wan't/need so I am laying up thinner pieces.

The constant rain and humidity is making me want to pull out my hair(if I had some). :banghead:

Now I wish i'd just cleaned out the rotted wood, refiberglassed the old skin and poured in some rigid pourable foam.

BOAT DECK REPAIR POLYURETHANE FOAM 8# HIGH DENSITY AND STRENGTH 2 GALLON KIT | eBay

At this point i'm ready to just put some 3/4" ply over the area until after the 4th :hide:

O8YKeU6l.jpg

With as much money as i've spent on plain old Poly resin I could have just used seacast self leveling stuff. I'd be done by now.

I did a 4x6 area on my flybridge with probably a gallon of epoxy and filler.

I did use exterior ply for the core and the filler was spread underneath and filled the gaps all around the ply.

Then the entire bridge was covered with 3 layers of cloth and expoxy. Cant be sure how much I used there, but for 3 layers of cloth over a 4x8 area I would guess about a quart or a little more.

There are guides on the net, I think the last I used was Glen-Ls for how much resin is needed for different cloth coverings.

"At this point i'm ready to just put some 3/4" ply over the area until after the 4th"

To lay up 3 layers of 1/4 ply that will take the curve , ring nails with roofing tar between layers is far easier to get a fair curve with.

Covered with GRP it will last as long as a ply deck or PH.

I quit worrying about how much I was using after I switched from West System to U.S. Composites out of FL which is 1/2 the price. Recoring 96' of deck (34' boat with walk around decks) and 1/3 of the house I went through a lot of epoxy, filler, and marine ply...

To make plywood up 3/4 in bend, rip saw at 45 degree angles leaving one or two ply. Go not saw thru plywood. Apply a epoxy layer, lay the plywood un cut side down, screw ply down inplace, and full the cut grooves with epoxy. When dry the plywood is almost back to the same strength. Also you can buy fiber glass sheets you can epoxy to a sheet of plywood. Then cut to match area.

I used both repairing decks, under Windows, Portuguese bridge.

Skimping on resin is bad. The thicker the resin/cloth, the less likely it will ever leak again.

Skimping on resin is one thing but too much makes the deck lumpy.

Pros use vacuum infusion for the best amount...sonething us amatuers can only dream about large scale.

It is OK if the cloth is a little dry, you can always roll on more, sanding off lumps is a bitc* and might remove too much cloth.

To make plywood up 3/4 in bend, rip saw at 45 degree angles leaving one or two ply. Go not saw thru plywood. Apply a epoxy layer, lay the plywood un cut side down, screw ply down inplace, and full the cut grooves with epoxy. When dry the plywood is almost back to the same strength. Also you can buy fiber glass sheets you can epoxy to a sheet of plywood. Then cut to match area.

I used both repairing decks, under Windows, Portuguese bridge.

Why not consider using three layers of 1/4" plywood for bends instead of busting knuckles along with other parts of one's anatomy with 3/4"?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom