PVC/Rubber Glue for Dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BruceK

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Sojourn
Vessel Make
Integrity 386
My PVC dinghy has a black "rubber" material bonded to join transom and tubes. The dinghy sits on weaver type davits, the bond on the loaded bottom side has partly failed between the rubber and the PVC.
JB Plastic Weld #50132, 2 part epoxy, is specific for plastics etc but does not identify rubber as a material it will bond. My guess is it will, the "rubber" is likely not just "rubber" but probably plasticized, but if it doesn`t it will be tough to remove.

Has anyone used the product in this context, or have other suggestions? I`ve used standard JB Weld before, with good results.

I would take it to a dinghy repair place. JB Weld is a hard type epoxy that can fix an engine block but has zero flexibility. I think it would not be a good option. The people that work on inflatables would be able to handle this no problem.

I would take it to a dinghy repair place. JB Weld is a hard type epoxy that can fix an engine block but has zero flexibility. I think it would not be a good option. The people that work on inflatables would be able to handle this no problem.

Agree. You will want something flexible. West Epoxy has a flexible epoxy, don’t remember the name right now. Not sure that it would even bond to the PVC or not. You might ask them.

I’recommend you try this product. It’ll bond pretty much anything and remain flexible.

https://www.seamaxmarine.com/products/final-fix-inflatable-boat-repair-adhesive-for-pvc-hypalon-grey-290-ml

i tried every glue out there on one inflatable i had and nothing really held up. all the fancy two part stuff, different contact adhesives, everything i could get my hands on. i watched videos and read so much stuff my head was swimming.
i'm not used to being defeated on repairs and it made me frustrated to say the least.
finally i tried a cyanoacrylate and it held like crazy. since you're bonding to rubber i think i'd try the loctite ultra gel. it's chemistry works really well with rubber bonding. use naptha to clean the area first. not sure if you can find it in a larger size container than the little dispensers, but maybe?
this was a hypalon boat i was repairing, if pvc i'd do a test first to see if it melts.

I’recommend you try this product. It’ll bond pretty much anything and remain flexible.

I should add that I run a fleet of ribs and this is the only product I trust to stick hypalon to pvc. The trick is to not use too much, just 1/16th of an inch on one side, nothing on the other. Sand the rubber but not the pvc.
There’s a good instructional video on YouTube.

Yikes, $72 for a tube of glue?? That's about 10% of the purchase price of our dinghy. Well, I see that's caulking-gun size, so more than just a little tube.

Thanks for the tip on gel super-glue, I'll give that a try next time. I actually have to glue a little rubber mounting pedestal for the running light on the bow of the dinghy this weekend, I'll give it a try. I've also hassled with lots of different and expensive PVC glues, very annoying.

Thanks for the tip on gel super-glue, I'll give that a try next time. I actually have to glue a little rubber mounting pedestal for the running light on the bow of the dinghy this weekend, I'll give it a try. I've also hassled with lots of different and expensive PVC glues, very annoying.

I've never tried it so this isn't a personal endorsement but regarding gel super glue option, I was watching a YT channel and based on recommendations from other cruisers in the area, they repaired with Gorilla Glue Gel and flextape of all things. They said that others in the anchorage swore by the fix and after a few months they say it's still working. YMMV.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. It`s a long way to the repairer the importer nominated,but I might. I used gorilla glue on this dinghy`s predecessor, same dinghy,and it worked, but I was gluing a pvc patch on pvc. I`ll check its specs.
Some of the glues suggested may not have made the trans Pacific trip.

Bruce,

Years ago I used plain old contact cement on an Achilles inflatable. I glued pieces of an old truck inner tube to patch holes. It worked very well for all the years we had the boat. I believe it was a PVC dinghy.

Rob

If you go to West Marine of any other large boat retailer, you will find adhesive especially made for dinghy repair. You need to know if you are dealing with PCV or Hypalon. It is not inexpensive, but these are the only products that will work reliably.

Be sure to follow the directions furnished with the product.

Or, take it to a dinghy repair place where they will have the adhesive and the experience to repair it properly.

Via a simple search for "glue for joining rubber and plastic" I got 3M`s Plastic and Rubber Instant Adhesive" https://www.3m.com.au/3M/en_AU/p/d/b40066919/
Seems to be a kind of superglue. Anyone with experience?
Some superglues are only recommended for indoor use.
According to my searches,Gorilla glue is not favored for rubber.
Finding a repairer might be safer.

From what I have read regarding deflateable repairs ( same place I got the Rema sc2000 recommendation) superglue type adhesives are brittle

From what I have read regarding deflatable repairs ( same place I got the Rema sc2000 recommendation) superglue type adhesives are brittle
Brittleness is an issue in this application. What about Sikaflex 291? Retains flexibility,sticks tenaciously to many surfaces. But what of rubber and pvc? Specs online don`t specifically mention either.

glue on tubes ribs

Hello, i have repaird 3 different tubes from ribs and attached ring to one
i use hard pvc glue for sanitair pipes, but you have to remove the scin of the pvc or hypalon i use a dremel tool for this job

i learend this from a boat repair shop in the Nederlands

the cleaning of the glue surfaces are the most imported, after removing the scin i clear it with aceton

the last repair is from 3 years ago and is still holding

I had that problem on a Zodiac. Never could fix it, bought a new one finally. Good luck.

first time it diddent stick, the problem was i did not get rid of the shiny top layer of the hypalon
(sorry for the bad englisch)

Dinghy repair

Best to go to Inflatable Boat Parts, check Google for location.

They will have what you need. They also have the best Orange cleaner available.

Good luck.

I spoke to Sikaflex. Main concern was adhesion to the rubber part.Advice was to roughen/sand both surfaces. And to do a trial,not sure that`s a practical suggestion. No Inflatable Boat Parts company over here unfortunately.

I`ve entrusted the repair to "Waves International" in Sydney,a long established large and small inflatables dealer. They will reglue the failed side of the transom/tubes attachment and fixing screws, both sides, where the rubber meets the transom. Estimated cost $260, new dinghy is $1600. The first one of these I had was made in Korea. Now from China. They handle well in the water but build quality suggests something else next time.

Back
Top Bottom