Old 08-30-2022, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Anchorage
Vessel Name: Gimme Shelter
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 50A
Propane tank- composite

Went Suburban Propane today in Anchorage to have my composite propane tank filled. They would not do it. I was told that a new Suburban Propane policy forbids recertification or filling of any composite propane tank. Does anyone have experience with composite propane tanks they want to share?
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 05:43 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Not good experience. I looked at them closely a few years ago. I even found one new that was a few years old but never installed. The seller wanted very little for it. But I discovered as you have that nor everyone will fill them, and recertifying often means sending back to the manufacturer. I opted for standard steel tanks - Costco sells them new for about $30. I'll get 5-10 years out of them, more if I do the cylinder exchange.

Good luck.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Going back some 20 years ago, a company got a temporary permit to make composite propane tanks. The tanks did not come with any expiration date as they were still under testing to determine what life propane tanks should have. The company never finished the paper work and quietly went out of business.

A fire marshal spotted a composite tank in the Seattle Boat Show and demanded proof of certification. This of course could not be provided. This fire marshal then declared the tanks illegal in his district. He threatened Suburban if they got caught filling any composite propane tanks. Suburban didn’t need this harassment so immediately banned the filling of the tanks at all its locations.

It was later determined that composite tanks should have a 10 year life. Unlike steel tanks there is no way to re-certify and extend the life of a composite tank. Unfortunately there are lots of composite tanks out there with no date coding. Suburban felt it was just easier to not deal with composite tanks then get caught filling timed out tanks.

You are the victim of being in the 1% crowd.

The facts are that composite tanks have no more usable life than steel, cost more than steel by more than double. Their only true advantage is they are lighter.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 06:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
Their only true advantage is they are lighter.
And see through.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Composite tanks

I see numerous advantages of composite tanks:
*- they are lighter, and
*- they are translucent to the extent that one can see the contents, and
*- they are quieter, and
*- impervious to chemicals and sea water.

The apparent disadvantage is nobody will refill or recertify them.
Old 08-30-2022, 07:03 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
*- they are lighter, and
*- they are quieter, and

That about sums it up. Would add that they don't rust, they should last a very long time, and while more expensive than steel, they are less expensive than aluminium.

I really wanted to go with them. But if you can't get propane in, well, you know....

Peter
Old 08-30-2022, 07:28 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I have 2 of them and am very happy with them.

In addition to being lighter and able to see the liquid level, they don't corrode and the plastic shell prevents marking painted surface unlike aluminum and steel propane tanks.

I purchased 2 tanks to use with my propane outboard and gas grill. The outboard (Lehr) proved to be garbage, so now the tanks are for my boat grill.

The minuses:

They only have a 15 year life from date of manufacture.

There are some places that won't fill them. To be fair, there are some places that won't fill aluminum tanks. And some that won't fill any size steel tank except for the standard 20 pounder. I know that sounds ridiculous, but they employ high school and college kids and only want to fill barbecue grill tanks.

So, you figure out who will fill your tanks, and patronize there business. I've had good luck with campgrounds, Ace hardware stores, and off brand propane companies. One of my favorites used to be a propane company that does 99% of their business as delivery. The bigger purchases (Food trucks) at there filling station are done through the office. The 20 pound bottles (if paying cash $8, without needing change) are lunch money for the employees. Everybody gets a turn from the owner on down. When was the last time you had a woman in a dress filling your propane tank.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 07:31 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
*- they are lighter, and
*- they are quieter, and

Lighter yes.

Translucent yes but not an advantage quality steel tanks have reliable gauges.

Quieter? Tanks don’t make noise if secured.

Impervious to chemicals and sea water yes but not much advantage as a steel tank will make it 10 years which is the legal life of a composite tank
Old 08-30-2022, 07:34 PM   #9
Guru

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Vessel Name: MoonShadow
Vessel Model: Wendon Skylounge 72'
I've been using a composite tank for about 5 or 6 years. I did once have a problem with a particular person refusing to fill it at my local gas/propane station about 4 years ago. I returned to the station with the data that the faulty tanks were a different manufacturer and that there are no restrictions on my brand (sorry I dont have that info available here). I have not had a problem since and I love the fact that they are light and do not leave rust stains in my propane locker. I also heft this tank to shore for crab boils and it is friendlier to my dinghy than a steel tank.
~A
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 10:10 PM   #10
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I sliced a piece of pvc tubing. Put that on the foot ring of the tank. No rust rings.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:27 PM   #11
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
They don't scratch the deck and topsides when you drag them around. I've not had any problem getting them filled.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 11:34 PM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Try sitting the tank in neat fitting plastic plant pot saucer glued in position. Obviously you need to further secure the tank but it`s an easy inexpensive start.
The I36 had a custom 2 tank set up with wooden tank retainers and twin switchable connectors, so you could switch between tanks, useful when one was empty.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

More bad news about composite tanks from Suburban Propane. Today Suburban Propane confirmed to me it is company policy to not fill composite tanks. That means a nationwide propane supplier will not fill composite tanks. Is that not a stake through the heart of that product?
Old 08-31-2022, 05:12 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
More bad news about composite tanks from Suburban Propane. Today Suburban Propane confirmed to me it is company policy to not fill composite tanks. That means a nationwide propane supplier will not fill composite tanks. Is that not a stake through the heart of that product?
Sadly yes. I really loved my composite tanks but after the controversy, the ban on filling them, then the reintroduction with a fixed non extendable life I was left with a very expensive tank that could only be filled by uneducated gas station attendants. I really liked the tank for its light wait but not enough to put up with the cost and hassle.
Old 08-31-2022, 06:34 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
This doesn't change anything for me. When they reach their 15 year drop dead date, I may or may not buy another. This is no different than my home insurance. The carrier I have it with is leaving Florida. I'm not about to move out of state because a company made a business decision.

Ted
Old 08-31-2022, 11:40 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
I picked a composite tank up really cheaply here in Brisbane about 15 years ago from BBQs Galore. The sales guy said it was cheap because locals were 'suspicious' of them, because not made of steel. I saw the advantage straight away. No corrosion, much lighter, (held 15L and weighed less than a standard 10L steel tank), and see through meant no being caught out with an empty tank. Sorry, but disagree with the gauges used on steel tanks being much use.

I Loved it, but sadly when the 10 yrs was reached it became clear that to pressure test it, it would effectively be destroyed, because the valve is sealed in, and cannot be removed. No-one would fill it unless it was certified, so I reluctantly parted with it, but hated doing so.

I suspect the 10 yr expiry talked about is purely arbitrary, and not based on any real scientific or real-time testing evidence, as the substance they are made of is similar to fibreglass resin, so probably would last almost indefinitely if out of the sun, but I guess they had to decide on some time limit to keep the lawyers/insurance co's happy.
Old 09-01-2022, 03:32 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post

I suspect the 10 yr expiry talked about is purely arbitrary, and not based on any real scientific or real-time testing evidence, as the substance they are made of is similar to fibreglass resin, so probably would last almost indefinitely if out of the sun, but I guess they had to decide on some time limit to keep the lawyers/insurance co's happy.
I too believe this. I have a cabin with a 250 gal propane tank that dates from the 1950s. I've owned it for over 30 years and only recently had the regulator replaced, but the tank and valve assembly is original. I have heard of tanks rusting or a pinhole leak, but the valve assemblies appear to have a much, much longer service life than the 10-15 years specified on portable propane tanks.

Too bad. The composite tank is a great idea, and boats are a perfect application for them. I was definitely a buyer.

Peter
Old 09-05-2022, 01:11 PM   #18
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
The flip side of this, if I may, on steel tanks.
I have been in the habit of exchanging my propane tank (rusty sometimes) for a full "Blue Rino" tank.
Last one, I kept smelling propane every time I opened the locker. Soaped and checked everything, no leaks. At the end of the season I removed the tank and submerged it in a settub, lo and behold a TINY pinhole in the new looking tank. The dealer told me that they have all been blasted, repainted, and certified many times so a flaw could be uncovered.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 02:53 PM   #19
Guru

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Escape
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
Can't help with the composite tank, but this is why on the three boats I converted to propane cooking I built the lockers to fit standard patio grill tanks. That and being able to exchange them maybe across the street from the marina vs travelling miles to refill.
jgwinks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwinks View Post
Can't help with the composite tank, but this is why on the three boats I converted to propane cooking I built the lockers to fit standard patio grill tanks. That and being able to exchange them maybe across the street from the marina vs travelling miles to refill.
That's certainly a good reason, convenience versus time. I have a hard time mentally with exchange bottles. Next time you get a full exchange bottle, weigh it. Then weigh it empty later. It's like buying a half gallon of ice cream in the traditional appearance container, only to find out later it's 1.5 quarts.

Ted