prop speed coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, those manufacturing instructions also have tight tolerance. The yard we use had a lot of problems and now recommends Coval as an alternative. Correctly applied in the right environmental conditions prop speeds works great.

Right now we have had Coval on for almost two years and it wasn't until the last dive on the boat last month did our diver mention hard growth starting to build up that needed to be scraped and that was after a very warm summer season as well.

YMMV

-tozz

i've not heard of coval before. available locally? did you apply it or have the yard do it? looks kind of like the same principle as propspeed, the coating is so smooth and slippery that nothing sticks.
i read the tds for it and it recommends spray application. where i haul that's almost impossible without a note from the governor. maybe i could pull the prop and take it to my shop.

Ok, Prop Speed works if your boat goes fast enough to throw the barnacles off or a diver scrubs them off. It's of little value if you don't use your boat or have a diver scrub it. Simply, it doesn't have chemicals that repel growth.

My experience with 2 boats;
On my charter boat it worked great. The boat cruises at 15 knots and would be run frequently to throw the small forming barnacles off. The propeller was turning 1,400 RPM which kept it clean. The stainless steel skeg and rudder were also clean.

The trawler is very different. It cruises around 6 to 7 knots. The water flow (speed) isn't fast enough to throw the barnacles off the skeg, stern bearing holder, and external water strainer (the rudder is fiberglass). The propeller turns 600 RPM, so it stays mostly clean. The prop nuts, shaft and anode also get some growth. By far the worst is the stern bearing holder which sees the least water flow.

By far the best solution for me was Pacifica Plus bottom bottom paint. The first year it was perfect where it stuck. The paint doesn't adhere well to clean metal. Last year I did an experiment and primed all the metal with the spray zinc antifouling (Barnacle Buster I think) and then put Pacifica Plus over it. That combination was perfect. I lost paint in a few spots where something may have hit it, but everything else including the stern bearing holder was clean. We sandblasted everything back down to bare metal and repeated the process again at my annual haulout. It might have been good for another year, but materials are cheap and the risk isn't worth it.

Pacifica Plus Antifouling Boat Paint | Interlux

Ted

For slower boats and boats that sit, most of the paint companies have an anti-fouling paint they recommend applying to metal as well. Doesn't work as well as Prop Speed for boats with more speed but works well for 6-10 knot boats and boats that seldom move.

propspeed

A hull cleaning diver in Mexico suggested applying Lanocoat to the prop. I have done that for two seasons in Sea of Cortez and was impressed. Cost is minimal. starting with a clean pro, I warm up the prop with a propane torch and then apply the Lanocoat with a rag. Total application time is about 30 minutes.

Richard P

I don't remember Prop Speed's cost other than when I last looked I thought it expensive at least more money than I wanted to spend on the stuff. So I sought out a different solution.

My first approach was to have my props electrically copper plated. Sucked! Experiments continued and finally came up with the following that works rather well for me. OK, there is some minor growth but not like the horrors of yesterday.

My method is to clean the poop off the boat's underwater metals and spray (or paint with a brush) any kind of metal primer paint. Next, paint the exposed metal with HARD BOTTOM paint. My experience is hard bottom paint without a primer does not last. This works for me.

Ok, Prop Speed works if your boat goes fast enough to throw the barnacles off or a diver scrubs them off. It's of little value if you don't use your boat or have a diver scrub it. Simply, it doesn't have chemicals that repel growth.

My experience with 2 boats;
On my charter boat it worked great. The boat cruises at 15 knots and would be run frequently to throw the small forming barnacles off. The propeller was turning 1,400 RPM which kept it clean. The stainless steel skeg and rudder were also clean.

The trawler is very different. It cruises around 6 to 7 knots. The water flow (speed) isn't fast enough to throw the barnacles off the skeg, stern bearing holder, and external water strainer (the rudder is fiberglass). The propeller turns 600 RPM, so it stays mostly clean. The prop nuts, shaft and anode also get some growth. By far the worst is the stern bearing holder which sees the least water flow.

By far the best solution for me was Pacifica Plus bottom bottom paint. The first year it was perfect where it stuck. The paint doesn't adhere well to clean metal. Last year I did an experiment and primed all the metal with the spray zinc antifouling (Barnacle Buster I think) and then put Pacifica Plus over it. That combination was perfect. I lost paint in a few spots where something may have hit it, but everything else including the stern bearing holder was clean. We sandblasted everything back down to bare metal and repeated the process again at my annual haulout. It might have been good for another year, but materials are cheap and the risk isn't worth it.

Pacifica Plus Antifouling Boat Paint | Interlux

Ted

My brother and I have been sitting around discussing this issue, and for our two GB42s, we independently came to the same basic method as Ted comments on here - a coating on the prop of either barnacle barrier or Interlux 2000 (two coats) followed by two coats bottom paint (hard for me, ablative for him). Boats 123 miles apart with essentially identical results.

I would like to add my endorsement for bottom paint on trawler running gear. Especially in New England with a 6 month season in cool water. I use copper free ablative on the bottom and running gear. No worries about interaction with underwater metal. This year I tried Total Boat brand and it worked very well. Much less expensive than Pettit.

I tried Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray paint on the running gear last Spring and was astounded by how well it prevented growth and held up over the 6 month NH boating season, when I had the boat hauled last month. It works great here and it's only 7 bucks a can. Prep and application could not be easier. I used 4 cans and did many several light coats.

I have used Prop Speed on a fast planing boat, and our current trawler.

This subject is like anchors. Very subjective, and a lot of variables including prep, application, use, waters boating in, etc as others have noted.

We are hauling out in a few months. I am having prop speed applied again to the rudder, and struts under the swim platform that are partially in sea water. Skipping the Prop this time as I find the surface gets a bit rough, and I like mine to be very smooth, especially during the Summer when we are logging the majority of our miles so I lightly sand it periodically.

Prop speed has to be applied properly, is fairly expensive and is best for boats that are frequently on the move. It is popular with sportfishing boats. If your boat moves and then sits for a good while or is only moved periodically you might want to consider Petit Prop Coat. It has worked well for us.

I have had Prop Speed Installed by the yard with excellent results. Photos show the immediate post application at my 2020 haul out and what the prop rudder looked liked when hauled after two years. No barnacles on prop or rudder. In addition to maintaining good prop efficiency, another benefit has been reduction in zinc replacement. Most of my zincs last 2 years now, except the hub zinc that gets replaced by a diver after one year (used to be two per year). So I am saving about $150/yr in zinc costs.

Attachments

• IMG_2306a.jpg
    IMG_2306a.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2328a.jpg
    IMG_2328a.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 30
In addition to maintaining good prop efficiency, another benefit has been reduction in zinc replacement. Most of my zincs last 2 years now, except the hub zinc that gets replaced by a diver after one year (used to be two per year). So I am saving about $150/yr in zinc costs.

That's a good point about coating things. The less exposed metal you have, the slower your anode consumption should be.

PropSpeed

My previous experience with PropSpeed on a sailboat was excellent. It was the only thing I ever found that actually worked. However, as has been pointed out, it must be applied correctly. The manufacturer is very proud of the product as reflected by the pricing.

Prop speed is well worth the extra money but it must be applied correctly. It's a two part system and humidity and temp play a key role. The best results I have seen have been on props that were coated in a prop shop where temp and humidity can be more easily controlled.

Have used it 2 cycles

Paint alternate years, pull every year, and have had great results. As others have said, really need a yard that knows what they are doing, on the Chesapeake also BTW.

If you live in warm water locations, its a must or some of the similar products.

A few years ago the yard that did a crappy bottom job for me scraped of off the previous prop speed and left it raw. They "forgot to repaint it"

I paid for it dearly in performance and in extra bottom cleaning costs.

I would never leave them raw again without some thing on it, especially through Florida summers.

I have used Petit Prop Coat 1792 on both Fintry and Morning Light. The boat comes out of the water a year later (in Fintry's case) or at the end of the season (Morning Light) with the prop absolutely clean. That's important for good fuel mileage. You can spray it out of an aerosol can or brush it.

As for the rudder, if the rudder is wood or glass, use bottom paint. If it's metal, use 1792.

Jim

Wonderful stuff down here in NZ if you are blowing it off after only a couple of months too many anodes will do it

I get 2 plus years if applied properly

Hi Magna6882
On the river Humber, my props receive heavy cementation, and barnacles. I coat the props, shafts, rudders and P struts with 3 coats of International Trilux 33, following a suitable etching primer. Gives excellent protection between annual haul-outs with no loss in performance.
Hopefully photo has uploaded, showing 14 months service.

Attachments

• P5181205.jpg
    P5181205.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 33
Just had prop speed applied to my running gear on a Grand Banks 42. I noticed an improvement in performance right away. At 1400 rpm the boat will now do 9 knts, before it took 1600 rpms.

Just had prop speed applied to my running gear on a Grand Banks 42. I noticed an improvement in performance right away. At 1400 rpm the boat will now do 9 knts, before it took 1600 rpms.

Was there any accumulation on the rest of the bottom when you hauled for the Prop Speed application? More speed at lower RPM is way kewl! :)

Propspeed

Our boat is in Bradenton FL on the Manatee River. It is a very high growth area, especially during the summer when we must have a diver clean twice a month. I gave up on the Propspeed by Snead Island Boatworks (very high end facility) who applied it properly. It simply did not keep off the growth and hard barnacles like the Velox paint we now use.

Our boat is in Bradenton FL on the Manatee River. It is a very high growth area, especially during the summer when we must have a diver clean twice a month. I gave up on the Propspeed by Snead Island Boatworks (very high end facility) who applied it properly. It simply did not keep off the growth and hard barnacles like the Velox paint we now use.

You may think they applied it properly, but they are not an approved applicator or not shown as such on Propspeed's web site.

I paint our whole bottom with Trilux 11 and do about 3 coats on the prop...it lasts for a year with no barnacles. Our boat is aluminum which has been epoxy barrier coated and we haul out every spring no issues with corrosion. Boat is 8kts and sits quite a bit, growth on the prop is greatly affected by how much sunlight exposure the prop and rudder has. The owner of the ship yard where we haul didn't think prop speed was worth the cost for us as the extra Trilux 11 didn't make much difference to what was needed on a 57' boat.

I paint our whole bottom with Trilux 11 and do about 3 coats on the prop...it lasts for a year with no barnacles. Our boat is aluminum which has been epoxy barrier coated and we haul out every spring no issues with corrosion. Boat is 8kts and sits quite a bit, growth on the prop is greatly affected by how much sunlight exposure the prop and rudder has. The owner of the ship yard where we haul didn't think prop speed was worth the cost for us as the extra Trilux 11 didn't make much difference to what was needed on a 57' boat.

It wouldn't appear that you need Prop Speed. Just a caution to others is that you can't trust yards sometimes to make that decision as the ones who are not approved applicators sometimes strongly push against it.

Three or four years ago I talked with a dealer for it. He told me it would NOT work on a 8-10 Knot boat. It was meant for sport fish and fast boats.

Three or four years ago I talked with a dealer for it. He told me it would NOT work on a 8-10 Knot boat. It was meant for sport fish and fast boats.

Local conditions will likely be the determining factor, but it’s worked well for me. I’d agree it works best when most active, but would not say it doesn’t work on a 9 knot boat, that doesn’t fit with what I’ve seen directly.

Works just fine for me @ 8 kts. I get 3+ years from it.

Seeing how Simi is being a jerk, can someone tell me what the prop speed it without a stupid answer? Thx

Not being a jerk here, but wouldn't google be more efficient for your initial answer, then use the forum to get opinions on how effective it is?

https://propspeed.com/

I tried Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray paint on the running gear last Spring and was astounded by how well it prevented growth and held up over the 6 month NH boating season, when I had the boat hauled last month. It works great here and it's only 7 bucks a can. Prep and application could not be easier. I used 4 cans and did many several light coats.

What type of boat are you using it on? It has worked great for me also.

This is what I have been very happy with on my 6 knt sailboat. I wonder how it would hold up on my new 17 knt powerboat?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom