Old 11-03-2021, 01:36 AM   #1
Guru

City: Burien
Vessel Name: Intrepid
Vessel Model: North Pacific/ NP-45 Hull 10
prop speed coating

pulled the boat yesterday and the yard suggested prop speed coating for the prop and the rudder. Your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
prop.jpg   prop 2.jpg  
magna 6882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
What's a speed coating?
Old 11-03-2021, 04:43 AM   #3
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Really?
Never heard of prop speed or the several other clones?
Amazing. (-;
Old 11-03-2021, 04:46 AM   #4
Guru

Looking at the pics, why?
I see no barnakles, apart from having blown the antifoul looks pretty good.

Though on closet inspection, a few pink spots, electrical issues? To many anodes perhaps?
Old 11-03-2021, 05:25 AM   #5

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
We have used Prop Speed on our boats, which a used primarily in the Chesapeake, with very satisfactory results. It is a covering that must be applied in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. We usually have little to no growth in the running gear and what does attach itself to the props can easily be scrapped off with a plastic scrapper without damage to the coating.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I had the yard coat the prop with Propspeed. It lasted about a month until it was all worn off. Not worth it to me.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:08 AM   #7

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
I believe Prop Speed is a 2-part application. with a min-max time between coatings, 3 minutes or so and it is temperature sensitive. If this time frame was not followed, the coating will fail. That is likely the issue David experienced as it is not unusual for a boat yard employee to apply the 1st coat, move on to another job and return to apply the 2nd coat in 2 hours, or the next day. We had that happen once and discussed that with the yard owner when we had an issue later that summer.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:11 AM   #8

City: Pensacola
Vessel Name: CLASSEA
Vessel Model: 1988 Defever 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna 6882 View Post
pulled the boat yesterday and the yard suggested prop speed coating for the prop and the rudder. Your thoughts.

MV CLASSEA has had PropSpeed applied the last 2 times she have her bottom painted, the picture attached was after 3 years the 1st time used . . . Because our trawlers don’t turn the RPM’s planning vessels turn, the product stays on longer and therefore, IMPO, is worth it . . . I does have to be applied properly.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5752.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	122654
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
If you you hadn’t noticed any performance loss, I wouldn’t. Given where you boat, cold water, I would clean, epoxy primer the prop/rudder and then paint with bottom paint. It’s not a perfect fix but for the cost would beat the PropSpeed.

A small kit of PropSpeed for a 12”-24” prop is ~$300 plus maybe 2 more for the rudder. Add the cost of the meticulous prep and application, it’s not a cheap project.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 08:31 AM   #10
Guru

City: Olympia
Vessel Name: Rendezvous
Vessel Model: Blue water 40
i put it on a prop i sent out to the shop for repair, as when i got it back it was in perfect condition to apply it. haven't done enough time/hours to judge whether or not it holds up. i used prop glide. it's easy enough to apply but as has been mentioned, you need to follow the directions to the letter. it an interesting finish, and i think it should work very well as long as it holds on.
Bmarler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:15 AM   #11
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Magna, I've had reasonable results with Petit prop coat, 18/24 months between recoating.
Easier to do than Pspeed, a lot less $$, lasts a lot longer than simple spray galv, but good prep/weather is still important. I used two spray cans, thin coats.

I'd stay with bottom paint on the rudder, ask a guru in your boat yard about whether your boat is over-zinced.
GoneFarrell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Magna, I've had reasonable results with Petit prop coat, 18/24 months between recoating.
Easier to do than Pspeed, a lot less $$, lasts a lot longer than simple spray galv, but good prep/weather is still important. I used two spray cans, thin coats.

I'd stay with bottom paint on the rudder, ask a guru in your boat yard about whether your boat is over-zinced.
My props and running gear have the Petit prop coat on Sb and Micron CSC on Pt.
In the spring, when I normally haul and renew whatever I am using, my haulout didn't happen. I did have a diver scrape the hard growth off the running gear, scrub the soft growth off the hull and renew zincs.
Saturday, Oct 30) I returned the boat from Saltspring to Coal Harbour. I couldn't get full revs Stb due to barnacles. Got full revs Pt, but still needed to scrub soot from the transom on arrival. This tells me that both sides are crusted with barnacles but Stb is much worse than Pt. Haulout will again be scheduled for the early spring. Hopefully this one will not be cancelled or delayed due to Covid.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:53 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I have not used PS, but I had the opportunity some time ago to wander amongst the charter fishing and other large boats pulled out for a hurricane and set cheek by jowl in the local boatyard. I am guessing I looked carefully at over fifty boat bottoms, most with PS applied. If as evidenced by waterline growth, the boat had sat a lot, barnacles were evident on the PS coated running gear. The hard run charter fishermen were universally clean with PS intact.

Those pink spots on the prop need some addressing. Maybe a good barrier coat before antifoul paint will help isolate the blades. Copper-based antifoul applied directly to a bronze prop is asking for it.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #14
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
If your Propspeed only stayed on a month, you have an issue with the yard that applied it, not the product. It has been on my prop for 3 years, and looks like the day they did it. Prop has run about 600 hours in that time.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:23 PM   #15
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
If your Propspeed only stayed on a month, you have an issue with the yard that applied it, not the product. It has been on my prop for 3 years, and looks like the day they did it. Prop has run about 600 hours in that time.
Absolutely. The key to propspeed is the application. We do use it and are very pleased with it. Just bottom cleaner wipes gently. As we are interested in maintaining performance and speed, we are the target customer.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #16
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Really?
Never heard of prop speed or the several other clones?
Amazing. (-;

Just asking... didn't need a stupid answer for a stupid question.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Just asking... didn't need a stupid answer for a stupid question.
Lighten up princess
Old 11-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #18

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoft View Post
We have used Prop Speed on our boats, which a used primarily in the Chesapeake, with very satisfactory results. It is a covering that must be applied in accordance with the manufacturers instructions. We usually have little to no growth in the running gear and what does attach itself to the props can easily be scrapped off with a plastic scrapper without damage to the coating.
Yeah, those manufacturing instructions also have tight tolerance. The yard we use had a lot of problems and now recommends Coval as an alternative. Correctly applied in the right environmental conditions prop speeds works great.

Right now we have had Coval on for almost two years and it wasn't until the last dive on the boat last month did our diver mention hard growth starting to build up that needed to be scraped and that was after a very warm summer season as well.

YMMV

-tozz
tozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Lighten up princess

Seeing how Simi is being a jerk, can someone tell me what the prop speed it without a stupid answer? Thx
Old 11-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
It is a paint for the running gear. Application is critical as to how it is done.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote