Primer Between Coats of Bottom Paint?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom.B

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Make
Navigator 4200 Classic
I have a guy working on our boat prepping for the season. Painting the bottom is one of the jobs on the list. He suggested using Seahawk 1277 primer between coats. Says he does it all the time. He said for me to research it and he will not use it if I don't want him to. While I know the shady history of the Seahawk parent company and the Federal charges against them (and TBH, that alone is enough for me to not use it), I have never heard of primer between coats of ablative bottom paint. I have just put one coat over another. Is this a thing? If I don't want to use Seahawk, but there is precedence to actually use prime between coats, what are the suggestions you all have for it?

-edit- Clarify! Not between EACH coat, but over the current paint before we begin the next full application of multiple coats.

Thanks,
Tom-

Last edited:
Are you changing type of bottom paint? This is from SeaHawk:

Barrier Coat Primer Qt New 1277 Bottom Paint Primer seahawk 1277qt Quart : A high build chlorinated rubber based primer recommended for use over old copper based antifoulants prior to recoating. Also a high build primer over metal and fiberglass to provide excellent corrosion resistance. A great insurance policy if old paint is unknown. Independent tests prove 1277 to be a great water barrier and an inexpensive way to keep water from penetrating your boat's hull.

For me, following the manufacturer's directions has always returned the best results when it comes to paint application. I would follow the directions on the can of anti-fouling, if it specifies a primer between coats, I'm sure it specifies the specific primer to use as well.

My understanding of ablative paint is that nothing really sticks to it very well, by design.

I've never used a primer for ablative over ablative (Interlux). I do scuff the old paint (I used a mesh type sheet rock plaster sanding pad on a long swivel pole the last time). Never a problem. Some folks don't even scuff the old paint. That said, maybe Seahawk is a different animal.

For all the issues Seahawk had their bottom paint with tin in was by far and away the best paint I ever used. Even when it was illegal in the US you could still get it the the Caribbean. Down ther I don’t think the problem with shell fish was an issue and conch aren’t around areas where you anchor. Been told the Navy was using tin long after it was made illegal for us. Wonder if anyone knows the truth of that. Bottom paint is heavy. After the years go by think it’s a good idea to sand or blast it all off. Then put down some 2000e or equivalent. We don’t use barrier coats otherwise. Do switch colors so the first coat of bottom paint is a different color than the rest. For a cruiser think ablative is the way to go. We’re not racing sailboats just puttering around.

Last edited:
After 30 years of various bottom paints I had the bottom soda blasted to the gelcoat and all paint removed. Then applied a barrier coat, 1 coat of red hard bottom paint and 3 coats of dark blue ablative paint. Lasted me 12 years. Just applied 3 new coats this year.

Tom: I reread your question and why would you put a primer in between coats? Save your money and monitor the applicator.

I prefer interlux, I use the primer if I do not know what the last type of paint was. The last two boats were both sanded with 80, cleaned, primed, then 3 coats of bottom paint, I used Micon 66.

Attachments

• Tritonbarrier.jpg
    Tritonbarrier.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Tritonbottom.jpg
    Tritonbottom.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 22
I think what Seahawk is saying is use the primer on any old paint before you put the new paint on. Not between coats of the new paint.

If the paint company's instructions do not call for primer between coats, I would believe the paint company over some guy you hired to paint your boat.

The manufacturer of your new paint will have a compatibility guide for going over the old paint. Every manufacturer has one.

I think what Seahawk is saying is use the primer on any old paint before you put the new paint on. Not between coats of the new paint.

Right... that is what I am talking about... I worded it poorly... sorry. is this normal to put primer over the old paint?

Last edited:
If the paint company's instructions do not call for primer between coats, I would believe the paint company over some guy you hired to paint your boat.

Yea... i described it sucky. Should I primer over the old paint before I put on new?

I don’t know if it routine or not. I usually take the paint off before doing the bottom and I usually put on a barrier coat too.

I prefer interlux, I use the primer if I do not know what the last type of paint was. The last two boats were both sanded with 80, cleaned, primed, then 3 coats of bottom paint, I used Micon 66.

Is that Interlux primer?

Whatever you do, only use 1 brand of paint and products. Don’t use company A’s primer and company B’s paint. And follow the directions to the letter.

Is that Interlux primer?

Yes, Interlux Primocon, and interlux Micron 66.
Interlux has a compatibility chart if you know what was used before.
I did not know, so it calls out for Primocon primer. I have done this twice so far, results were good! But it is an extra step, more $$ in labor, more $$ in product.

After 30 years of various bottom paints I had the bottom soda blasted to the gelcoat and all paint removed. Then applied a barrier coat, 1 coat of red hard bottom paint and 3 coats of dark blue ablative paint. Lasted me 12 years. Just applied 3 new coats this year.

I know a few things, have to learn a few things etc... but i know bottom painting, lmao. (Was the youngest of a commercial fishing family and had to do everyones bottom paint). I am also a godamn genius at making up bait bags. (They used to call me the “master baiter” on the boats. Hated it, lmao)

This is the deal (quoted above). I’ve done this myself about 15xs to boats and dinghys. The best primer IMHO is interprotect and just to the bare sanded fiberglass. If you want to build up the coats to get a barrier coat, god bless ya, but its an awesome primer with decent “fill” qualities.

The key is to apply the firstcoat of bottom paint just before the interprotect dries. (Thumbnail imprint is my indicator)

It sort of makes a chemical bond between the first bottom paint coat and the interprotect. Never had a flaky bottom, even 15 years out. (Using ablative paint)

The two colors is brilliant and works great. Just paint where you see the “undercolor” as a touch up. (I never do full coats anymore) Just where the red shows through. Saves a heck of a lot of money on 300$ a gallon paint.

I’ve never used a primer for AF on wood or FG.
Did on an aluminum skiff tho.

Back
Top Bottom