Price check on cushions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Discussed my cushion situation in another thread but thought I would break it off into another to get some more comments. Need sunbrella covered flybridge cushions for my Grand Banks 42'. Picture attached but not my boat. Two separate benches, both with fore and aft seating. I was dealing with a local canvas shop that comes with reasonable reviews. They supplied me with a quote of $1,700. However, canvas shop now realizes they made a mistake and only quoted 1/2 the job. Priced out 4 cushions not 8 as needed for both sides of seating. Cost is now almost double, about $3,300.

Does that seem about right for this job? First time boat cushion buyer so don't have a clue but...$3300 for those cushions? Sticker shock I guess. Any comments appreciated!

Attachments

• flybridge.jpg
    flybridge.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 87
Foam, thread and exact material used make a big difference. Ask around the marina for other recommendations and shop the quote with the same materials.

Those are pretty much “standard” cushions. I wouldn’t be afraid to try and source them over the web. Lots of GB 42’s around and many canvas shops must have the exact dimensions on file.

Using striped sunbrella with Textilene bottoms. 3" dry fast foam for seats, 2" dry fast foam for backs. Using marine 138 thread not Tenara. Just looking for a "Yeah, that sound about right" or "Are you outta your mind?" or some such. :)

Am getting 2 other quotes but just curious on what to expect...ball park...

Those are pretty much “standard” cushions. I wouldn’t be afraid to try and source them over the web. Lots of GB 42’s around and many canvas shops must have the exact dimensions on file.

You would think, right? However, I haven't found any that list the GB 42" in their stock patterns. Seems like every friggin ski boat is there but no GB's. If $3,300 or so is the going rate for nice cushions then so be it. Again, having no experience in this area in 30 years or so, I didn't have a clue. Then I had in my head that it was going to be $1700. The doubling of the price sort of surprised me. But...it is what it is and I need cushions! I trust the opinion from you guys/girls more than a random vendor...

Sounds kind of high especially given no Tenara (though I have no experience with the thread mentioned), but the last time I priced cushions was about 5 years ago in Eastern North Carolina. Other materials are good, depending on what weight Sunbrella. In my opinion, if you are going to keep the boat a long time, high quality of materials and workmanship are cheaper in the long run.

I'd try grinding the shop down on price since there are so many duplicate patterns involved. Only 100 bucks of for double?

Do you have overall covers as well for when not in use?

Our advice is not better than a vendor who you have references on from other boaters or boatyards in your market.

I got all my interior cushion done this year, a total of 10 cushions for the v-dining forward and sitting in the saloon. I choose very heavy duty high quality denim made is USA and 2 inches foam. The cost was 1600CAD plus taxes at an artisan upholsterer.
Considering the size of your cushions I would tend to think 3300USD is quite a high quote.

L

Sounds expensive to me. US Yacht Cushions in St. Pete does cushions for makers and has CAD drawings for many boats.

(727) 322-5352

Only 100 bucks of for double?

I have asked them for a final "official" quote. I am estimating given her first quote. The second side is a little shorter than the other but at this point not sure which side she quoted me on.

Do you have overall covers as well for when not in use?

Yes, I have a full cover that covers everything from the windshield, dash, and all seating. When we are out we have a bimini and sun shade that cover the entire flybridge. Well protected from sun when out and when we are docked the cushions would be either covered or brought into the salon.

Our advice is not better than a vendor who you have references on from other boaters or boatyards in your market.

I don't know about that one! The wide range of experience and opinion in here is, as everyone knows, awesome. I guess I like the collective wisdom of those who have gone before vs. someone I don't know who wants my money! But I do get your point and thank you for it.

Sounds expensive to me. US Yacht Cushions in St. Pete does cushions for makers and has CAD drawings for many boats.

(727) 322-5352

Thanks. I will give them a call. We are over on the west coast frequently.

Discussed my cushion situation in another thread but thought I would break it off into another to get some more comments. Need sunbrella covered flybridge cushions for my Grand Banks 42'. Picture attached but not my boat. Two separate benches, both with fore and aft seating. I was dealing with a local canvas shop that comes with reasonable reviews. They supplied me with a quote of $1,700. However, canvas shop now realizes they made a mistake and only quoted 1/2 the job. Priced out 4 cushions not 8 as needed for both sides of seating. Cost is now almost double, about $3,300.

Does that seem about right for this job? First time boat cushion buyer so don't have a clue but...$3300 for those cushions? Sticker shock I guess. Any comments appreciated!

Seems too high to me. We redid the saloon cushions a couple of years ago. Tufted, Sunbrella, two L shaped settees with 14 cushions total and I don't recall paying much more than $3,000. Your job seems way simpler.

$3300 for 8 smallish cushions seems high to me, too. Over $400 per cushion?

Ken

Using striped sunbrella with Textilene bottoms. 3" dry fast foam for seats, 2" dry fast foam for backs. Using marine 138 thread not Tenara. Just looking for a "Yeah, that sound about right" or "Are you outta your mind?" or some such. :)

Am getting 2 other quotes but just curious on what to expect...ball park...

Sounds high

High. Try a non marine upholstery shop.

Sounds like an average price from a big marine upholstery shop that guarrrantes their work and maintains a booth at the boat show to answer all your question no matter how wacky they are. I find you do better on pricing from one man word of mouth home shops but then you run the risk of future stability of customer service.

In other words, know what you are paying for and only pay for what is important to you.

I have a great one man marine canvas shop and a great one woman non marine upholstery shop cause there is no difference between boat cushions and pool cushions.

Sounds high to me.

One other small suggestion. We had sunbrella cushions on our old boat, they weren't very comfortable to sit on (kind of rough), stained very easily and were tough to clean. I know sunbrella is one of the best, if not the best, fabrics for biminis and covers but it is not great, IMO, for cushions. I much prefer the marine vinyl cushions we have on our current boat.

I think sunbrella makes a few different fabrics, maybe a softer one, I'm not sure. But perhaps you can source a cheaper fabric? Sunbrella's big advantage is UV resistance. If you take your cushions down below when the boat is not in use, they don't really need super high UV resistance.

We had sunbrella cushions on our old boat, they weren't very comfortable to sit on (kind of rough), stained very easily and were tough to clean.

That is completely opposite to our extensive (and intensive) experience with Sunbrella.

Interior upholstery is cheaper than properly constructed exterior, we had a lot of both.

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to respond. This is a "larger" canvas shop, well know, excellent quality, all of that. The vertical cushions on each side are "joined" at the top so they are one unit and fit over the top of the bench which I assume is slightly more complicated. They have now come back and said that the mistake was theirs and they are willing to split the additional cost with me. That gives me the the 8 cushions for $2500 or so. Appreciate the comments on Sunbrella vs. Vinyl. Not as bad as "Which anchor?" but...pretty close! I have my opinion but.... I have an Admiral who is set on a particular striped Sunbrella. Enough said?

No worries on my end, as I said in my post, it is only my opinion. Different people like different things. Vinyl was just a suggestion that would save you some $.

I try to stay away from Canvas discussions just because I don't want to seem like I am soliciting or offend any other hard working Canvas shops out there . With what you said , we would most likely bid that at around 2400.00 . Issues we contend with that people forget to factor into price is if client is bringing them to us or we have to get them and reinstall ? If you do it yourself it will save you a lot of money . The time we send a employee out to the site, twice, and vehicle cost and insurance it is a lot more added to ticket . With season approaching we do everything we can to have them bring to us . As for sunbrella for seat material , we can make some beautiful stuff out of it . But, it has a very long brake in time. Their interior line does well but not as durable exposed to the elements . The cost of using vinyl or woven material is about the same to us , but 95 % of our cushion work is vinyl for mediate comfort . If you use covers , Nothing to expect 10 years or more from canvas work .With it out, in full exposure 2 years ? Maybe . Hope this helps .

No worries on my end, as I said in my post, it is only my opinion. Different people like different things. Vinyl was just a suggestion that would save you some $.

Thanks Doug, agreed and appreciate your comment. I am ambivalent about the SB vs. vinyl and know that vinyl is at least somewhat less expensive. Wifey never asks for much so I will agree with her choice on this one.

I try to stay away from Canvas discussions just because I don't want to seem like I am soliciting or offend any other hard working Canvas shops out there . With what you said , we would most likely bid that at around 2400.00 . Issues we contend with that people forget to factor into price is if client is bringing them to us or we have to get them and reinstall ? If you do it yourself it will save you a lot of money . The time we send a employee out to the site, twice, and vehicle cost and insurance it is a lot more added to ticket . With season approaching we do everything we can to have them bring to us . As for sunbrella for seat material , we can make some beautiful stuff out of it . But, it has a very long brake in time. Their interior line does well but not as durable exposed to the elements . The cost of using vinyl or woven material is about the same to us , but 95 % of our cushion work is vinyl for mediate comfort . If you use covers , Nothing to expect 10 years or more from canvas work .With it out, in full exposure 2 years ? Maybe . Hope this helps .

I told my wife that the total price after they split the difference sounded like what they should be charging in the first place. I'm sure they aren't losing money. They will have two visits to the boat in it as they really didn't like my suggestion that they could make them from my current cushions without coming aboard. I can understand that for more complex jobs but these are pretty simple.

Thanks again everyone.

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to respond. This is a "larger" canvas shop, well know, excellent quality, all of that. The vertical cushions on each side are "joined" at the top so they are one unit and fit over the top of the bench which I assume is slightly more complicated. They have now come back and said that the mistake was theirs and they are willing to split the additional cost with me. That gives me the the 8 cushions for $2500 or so. Appreciate the comments on Sunbrella vs. Vinyl. Not as bad as "Which anchor?" but...pretty close! I have my opinion but.... I have an Admiral who is set on a particular striped Sunbrella. Enough said?

You chose well...

I'm curious, what is your first choice for a quality bimini top?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom