Old 11-08-2017, 07:30 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Price check on cushions?

Discussed my cushion situation in another thread but thought I would break it off into another to get some more comments. Need sunbrella covered flybridge cushions for my Grand Banks 42'. Picture attached but not my boat. Two separate benches, both with fore and aft seating. I was dealing with a local canvas shop that comes with reasonable reviews. They supplied me with a quote of $1,700. However, canvas shop now realizes they made a mistake and only quoted 1/2 the job. Priced out 4 cushions not 8 as needed for both sides of seating. Cost is now almost double, about $3,300.

Does that seem about right for this job? First time boat cushion buyer so don't have a clue but...$3300 for those cushions? Sticker shock I guess. Any comments appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flybridge.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	70138  

firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:44 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Foam, thread and exact material used make a big difference. Ask around the marina for other recommendations and shop the quote with the same materials.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #3
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Those are pretty much “standard” cushions. I wouldn’t be afraid to try and source them over the web. Lots of GB 42’s around and many canvas shops must have the exact dimensions on file.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:02 AM   #4
Guru

Using striped sunbrella with Textilene bottoms. 3" dry fast foam for seats, 2" dry fast foam for backs. Using marine 138 thread not Tenara. Just looking for a "Yeah, that sound about right" or "Are you outta your mind?" or some such.

Am getting 2 other quotes but just curious on what to expect...ball park...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easting View Post
Those are pretty much “standard” cushions. I wouldn’t be afraid to try and source them over the web. Lots of GB 42’s around and many canvas shops must have the exact dimensions on file.
You would think, right? However, I haven't found any that list the GB 42" in their stock patterns. Seems like every friggin ski boat is there but no GB's. If $3,300 or so is the going rate for nice cushions then so be it. Again, having no experience in this area in 30 years or so, I didn't have a clue. Then I had in my head that it was going to be $1700. The doubling of the price sort of surprised me. But...it is what it is and I need cushions! I trust the opinion from you guys/girls more than a random vendor...
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
Guru

Sounds kind of high especially given no Tenara (though I have no experience with the thread mentioned), but the last time I priced cushions was about 5 years ago in Eastern North Carolina. Other materials are good, depending on what weight Sunbrella. In my opinion, if you are going to keep the boat a long time, high quality of materials and workmanship are cheaper in the long run.

I'd try grinding the shop down on price since there are so many duplicate patterns involved. Only 100 bucks of for double?

Do you have overall covers as well for when not in use?

Our advice is not better than a vendor who you have references on from other boaters or boatyards in your market.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
Old 11-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #7
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
I got all my interior cushion done this year, a total of 10 cushions for the v-dining forward and sitting in the saloon. I choose very heavy duty high quality denim made is USA and 2 inches foam. The cost was 1600CAD plus taxes at an artisan upholsterer.
Considering the size of your cushions I would tend to think 3300USD is quite a high quote.

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: gulf coast
Sounds expensive to me. US Yacht Cushions in St. Pete does cushions for makers and has CAD drawings for many boats.

(727) 322-5352
bayview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Here are some foam numbers; fast dry open cell 3”x48”x72” from Sailrite is $335 and the 2” is $229.

Sailrite - Fabric, Canvas, and Sewing Machines Since 1969

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:42 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Only 100 bucks of for double?
I have asked them for a final "official" quote. I am estimating given her first quote. The second side is a little shorter than the other but at this point not sure which side she quoted me on.

Quote:
Do you have overall covers as well for when not in use?
Yes, I have a full cover that covers everything from the windshield, dash, and all seating. When we are out we have a bimini and sun shade that cover the entire flybridge. Well protected from sun when out and when we are docked the cushions would be either covered or brought into the salon.

Quote:
Our advice is not better than a vendor who you have references on from other boaters or boatyards in your market.
I don't know about that one! The wide range of experience and opinion in here is, as everyone knows, awesome. I guess I like the collective wisdom of those who have gone before vs. someone I don't know who wants my money! But I do get your point and thank you for it.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Sounds expensive to me. US Yacht Cushions in St. Pete does cushions for makers and has CAD drawings for many boats.

(727) 322-5352

Thanks. I will give them a call. We are over on the west coast frequently.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here are some foam numbers; fast dry open cell 3”x48”x72” from Sailrite is $335 and the 2” is $229.

Thanks Larry. their price for the foam was $475 but again, only for one side. I would expect them to be higher than buying it myself but hard to equate as I don't have the exact measurements here with me.
Old 11-08-2017, 04:16 PM   #13
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Discussed my cushion situation in another thread but thought I would break it off into another to get some more comments. Need sunbrella covered flybridge cushions for my Grand Banks 42'. Picture attached but not my boat. Two separate benches, both with fore and aft seating. I was dealing with a local canvas shop that comes with reasonable reviews. They supplied me with a quote of $1,700. However, canvas shop now realizes they made a mistake and only quoted 1/2 the job. Priced out 4 cushions not 8 as needed for both sides of seating. Cost is now almost double, about $3,300.

Does that seem about right for this job? First time boat cushion buyer so don't have a clue but...$3300 for those cushions? Sticker shock I guess. Any comments appreciated!
Seems too high to me. We redid the saloon cushions a couple of years ago. Tufted, Sunbrella, two L shaped settees with 14 cushions total and I don't recall paying much more than $3,000. Your job seems way simpler.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
$3300 for 8 smallish cushions seems high to me, too. Over $400 per cushion?

Ken
kchace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Using striped sunbrella with Textilene bottoms. 3" dry fast foam for seats, 2" dry fast foam for backs. Using marine 138 thread not Tenara. Just looking for a "Yeah, that sound about right" or "Are you outta your mind?" or some such.

Am getting 2 other quotes but just curious on what to expect...ball park...
Sounds high
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 06:42 PM   #16
Guru

High. Try a non marine upholstery shop.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:15 AM   #17
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Sounds like an average price from a big marine upholstery shop that guarrrantes their work and maintains a booth at the boat show to answer all your question no matter how wacky they are. I find you do better on pricing from one man word of mouth home shops but then you run the risk of future stability of customer service.

In other words, know what you are paying for and only pay for what is important to you.

I have a great one man marine canvas shop and a great one woman non marine upholstery shop cause there is no difference between boat cushions and pool cushions.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:29 AM   #18
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Sounds high to me.

One other small suggestion. We had sunbrella cushions on our old boat, they weren't very comfortable to sit on (kind of rough), stained very easily and were tough to clean. I know sunbrella is one of the best, if not the best, fabrics for biminis and covers but it is not great, IMO, for cushions. I much prefer the marine vinyl cushions we have on our current boat.

I think sunbrella makes a few different fabrics, maybe a softer one, I'm not sure. But perhaps you can source a cheaper fabric? Sunbrella's big advantage is UV resistance. If you take your cushions down below when the boat is not in use, they don't really need super high UV resistance.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
We had sunbrella cushions on our old boat, they weren't very comfortable to sit on (kind of rough), stained very easily and were tough to clean.
That is completely opposite to our extensive (and intensive) experience with Sunbrella.

Interior upholstery is cheaper than properly constructed exterior, we had a lot of both.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
Guru

Thanks everyone, appreciate you taking the time to respond. This is a "larger" canvas shop, well know, excellent quality, all of that. The vertical cushions on each side are "joined" at the top so they are one unit and fit over the top of the bench which I assume is slightly more complicated. They have now come back and said that the mistake was theirs and they are willing to split the additional cost with me. That gives me the the 8 cushions for $2500 or so. Appreciate the comments on Sunbrella vs. Vinyl. Not as bad as "Which anchor?" but...pretty close! I have my opinion but.... I have an Admiral who is set on a particular striped Sunbrella. Enough said?