Prepping and Painting advice please?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. 11. Of course it's old news but when a company like Awlgrip experiences major problems, one has to wonder whether the problems have been addressed or simply the painters have learned to adapt to and live with the shortcomings.

Now that my photos are synced up to my iPad I can post some of them.

Can anyone tell me why it's not letting me upload more than one picture at a time? I see other people posting several at a time. Is it because I'm on an iPad?

Sideways pic again...you can see the really terrible job someone did slapping some paint on the transom door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 92
And the really really bad tape job someone did painting the stripe. The other side looks great...this side, maybe they had too many beers by that point or something.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 84
You can see how they painted up to the canvas and stopped.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 80
Same here...they painted around the canvas.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 86
You can see the paint peeling off

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 82
And this is one of the really really bad patch jobs

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 76
This is the top of the transom door....did they just run out of paint?
I mean, who does this?
(It wasn't the guy we bought the boat from btw...it was the owner before him)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 80
And again....just randomly stopped painting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 75
Hmm. Star, I think maybe the last person to paint this thing might have been someone a bit like yourself, that is, brave enough (or cheap enough) to try it, but perhaps didn't have the benefit of observing a terrible paint job before he or she started it. That person may have not had the benefit (but probably didn't care about the benefit) of anybody's Forum advice. Now, you've got both the perspective and the advice. Can hardly wait to see the spiffy new paint job!:socool:

Keep in mind the primary purpose of paint is to protect the fiberglass, not to make it purdy. Many times when time weather is short I have just protected and not worry about how it looked. Seattle rains 10 months per year and the 2 months has periods of rain. Besides the average person will not see notice slight imperfections.

Many times wr are your own worst critic.:flowers:

Greetings,
Mr. 11. Of course it's old news but when a company like Awlgrip experiences major problems, one has to wonder whether the problems have been addressed or simply the painters have learned to adapt to and live with the shortcomings.

They've been addressed. :D

The PO's were liveaboards and had dogs so they put up this safety net. At first we were going to leave it, but it's just too ugly. When I first saw the pictures of the boat I thought it was chain link fence!
Anyhow, at some point we're going to have to deal with all the eyebolts screwed in to hold it.
Every one of them is a potential water intrusion spot I would imagine.

My thought is to just leave them there until Arvin gets back and can fix them correctly.

What say you all?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 89
Another reason to remove it is that there are two sections where it's no good and ripped. I didn't get a picture of that though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 84
I'd leave it or just the hardware in place until either Arvin gets back or you get more experience with patching and priming.
No sea dogs in your future? :rolleyes:

I'd leave it or just the hardware in place until either Arvin gets back or you get more experience with patching and priming.
No sea dogs in your future? :rolleyes:

Nooo dogs for us! Kids are grown don't want anymore responsibility. Lol

The boat looks so much better without the netting.
For now, hardware still in place but I don't think we're going to be able to wait for Arvin to get back. I noticed a lot of them are loose.

Good Afternoon Star,

I am perhaps a week or two ahead of your project. My first concern was paint removal. I've painted many cars and know a bit about application and removal. I was aghast at the thought of removing paint with paint remover. So, Cheri and I tried the heat gun approach. Worked wonderfully. (I have attached pic. You will not I started with a torch to see if the heat worked. Then went and bought a heat gun. Suggest not using a torch). At any rate, took 10 hours to remove all deck paint. Came off very clean. Don't need to burn the paint, just heat up a bit.

With regard to your sticker. If the above suggestions don't work, automotive paint stores have a rubber wheel that attaches to a drill. This is made specifically to remove bumper stickers, stripes on paint, etc. Works in seconds and no need to worry about marring the finish. It wont. Cost $5.

I hope to have our decks painted by this weekend??? Epoxy for sure. Probably Awlgrip?

Attachments

• IMG_8608.jpg
    IMG_8608.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8613.jpg
    IMG_8613.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_8611.jpg
    IMG_8611.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 75
So you just applied the heat and were able to scrape the paint right off?
I tried using a pressure washer on a small area but that didn't work very well.
I was going to try sanding next but might give the heat gun a try.

The heat gun worked best for us. Sanding would not have worked, too thick of coats. Our boat did have two previous coats of paint on it. I'm uncertain if the paint was a two part epoxy or single stage paint. Either way, It was relatively fast and somewhat rewarding. Cheri was in front of me and heated an area up and I scraped with a quality putty knife/scraper. She would back up and I would move forward. Also suggest knee pads for both and leather gloves for the person scraping. Best of fortune and blessings
to you in this endeavor.

Dog Yes. Kid no way.

Hoping to get to working on paint removal this weekend.

My new question is about non skid paint. All of the molded non skid areas on our deck are well worn and quite slippery when wet. So I've read about kiwigrip, interlux interdek, evercoat skid no more, and awlgrip with non skid added.

From what I understand all of those are one parts with the exception of awlgrip?

Can I use one of these products to paint over that worn molded non skid? Do they require primer first?

I know I don't want a very aggressive looking texture and it needs to be comfy on bare feet and bare butts.

Are there any other paint suggestions besides those mentioned? I know I don't want to go the spreading sand method.

I did Kiwi Grip, tough as nails, flexible enough to span hairline fractures. Unforunately it is a dirt magnet and looks 30 years old within a few weeks, extremely difficult to clean and has to be scrubbed almost daily. I used a tight foam roller so the texture was quite light. Won't use it again.

I did Kiwi Grip, tough as nails, flexible enough to span hairline fractures. Unforunately it is a dirt magnet and looks 30 years old within a few weeks, extremely difficult to clean and has to be scrubbed almost daily. I used a tight foam roller so the texture was quite light. Won't use it again.

I read where some people suggested putting some type of wax on it to prevent the dirt from sticking..did you do that?
Our white decks now need to be at least hosed off pretty much every time you step foot on the boat. Can't keep it clean for nothing! :banghead:

I read where some people suggested putting some type of wax on it to prevent the dirt from sticking..did you do that?
Our white decks now need to be at least hosed off pretty much every time you step foot on the boat. Can't keep it clean for nothing! :banghead:

Hadn't heard of the wax thing .... sounds a bit self defeating.
What kind of wax ?

Hadn't heard of the wax thing .... sounds a bit self defeating.
What kind of wax ?

I think someone mentioned "woody's"? And I saw the words surfboard wax.
Does seem self defeating...I agree.

PO used Interlux on my boat - think it's in its fourth season now and I am really pleased with it. Good grip, durable and easy to clean.

FB_IMG_1465336180935.jpg

I think someone mentioned "woody's"? And I saw the words surfboard wax.
Does seem self defeating...I agree.

Woody Wax is the product. I used it on my center console fishing boat and it works great. Easy to apply and relatively inexpensive. Helps to prevent staining from fish/bait/bird dropping splatter as well as not slippery when dry. I have not put it on the trawler deck yet but plan to.

I have no interest in the product just a satisfied user. YMMV

John

Star,
Please keep us informed of your progress. As you can see, Cheri and I now have the entire decks scraped. It took a week of evenings to do. We found that the warmer the weather, the easier the scraping is with the heat gun. Also, "there is no economy in buying cheap paint". I am curious to find what you use for paint. Epoxy paint (two part/w catalyst) will be a harder finish and arguably last longer, but more difficult to apply. But, given the amount of work the job entails in the first place, we don't want to ever do it again. Have a safe weekend. - sam

Attachments

• IMG_8638.jpg
    IMG_8638.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8637.jpg
    IMG_8637.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom