Power Steering question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pfsayle

Vessel Name
PATRIOT
Vessel Make
Fu Hwa(Marine Trader)
I have a 1988 42' Fu Hwa Sundeck Trawler. I have located the fluid reservoir under the floor in the rear cockpit. There is a bicycle tire type valve stem next to a gauge on the tank. It reads 25Lbs currently, I believe the tank says 30Lbs, and i am pretty sure the fluid is low. Does anybody know this type of pressurized system and how to bleed, fill and re-pressurize it?

Welcome aboard. Sorry I can’t help with your hydraulic steering system.

Pressure should be 20-30 psi. If it is a hynautic system, the valve stem is part of the fill nut. Unscrew the large nut, fill as appropriate, should be marked on reservoir. Tighten large nut, and pump back to pressure.

Of course the real question is where did the fluid go?

Gordon

Thanks. I was hoping it would be a simple procedure and it looks difficult only by position and location, but not by procedure. I did notice the fittings under the flybridge steering were a little wet but no mess on the floor. I will trace all the lines back. I wasn't sure if there was additional bleeding I needed to be concerned with.

Welcome to the forum!

Find the make/model of the system, probably noted on the reservoir you found. After that, come back here with the info for the forum's experience on your specific system, but there should also be manuals and many forum topics discussing your system online. The correct fluid level is usually within a range shown on the tank, possibly with an external sight tube. My tank also indicates the correct pressure, but time has not been kind to the writing on the tank.

Does your system have multiple steering stations? I recommend starting at either the high or low point in the system and tracing all lines to the other end, looking for leaks or other system problems as you go. The low point is likely at the rudder master cylinder and the high point at the highest helm.

Good luck!

Greg.

It certainly sounds like a Hynautic system, one of the only small boat systems that are pressurized. Hynautic was purchased by Sea Star Solutions, formerly Teleflex.

Take a look here and regardless of what any dock experts say, use only the approved fluid. This is not the place to save a few dollars

http://www.boatsteer.com/assets/Hynautic_1987.pdf

:socool:

Based on the year, I would think that it’s a Hynautic system as others have indicated. Your boat manual ought to have the ideal pressure for your setup. But generally speaking a psi of 30-35 is a reasonable pressure for most systems. Fluid level between 1/2 and 3/4 of your tank. Some Fluid can be lost over time without obvious leaks, nevertheless it is prudent to trace the lines for issues.

Be careful not to overfill the system i.e. tank.. due to the wear & tear of the tank’s sight tube.. It is not unusual to overfill a tank.

Good luck trying to re-pressurize the tank with a bike pump. By the time you get the air chuck off, pressure bleeds off. I've gone round and round with those, PITA. Best is a portable tank with a proper air chuck. Or if boat has a compressor. I keep mine at 30psi.

Good luck trying to re-pressurize the tank with a bike pump. By the time you get the air chuck off, pressure bleeds off.

I don't have that experience with mine, but I may have an add-on valve that acts the same as the Schrader valve on a bicycle tube: attach bicycle pump to end of reservoir valve, depress lever on pump to push reservoir pressure stopper out of the way, pump up system (takes very little effort or time), lift lever on pump to allow reservoir valve stopper to hold pressure, and remove bicycle pump valve. Simple and effective. If your reservoir does not have that valve adapter, you may find what you need to add one on this page or other similar search results.

Greg.

If its not broke don't fix it.

My steering system has been holding at about 22 pounds air pressure for about 8 years and the fluid level has not changed. I say leave it alone and monitor it. if loss of pressure or fluid level is noted fix the leak and charge it to 20 to 30 PSI.

Sometimes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it is very good advice" :socool:

My steering system has been holding at about 22 pounds air pressure for about 8 years and the fluid level has not changed. I say leave it alone and monitor it. if loss of pressure or fluid level is noted fix the leak and charge it to 20 to 30 PSI.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom