Old 10-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Raw water/fresh water hose

Hello fellow TFers!
Recently while doing my oil change before haul out I found another cherry from the OP.
In order to save 23cents he took the shortest path for the hose from the raw water pump to the oil coolers, what in summary resulted in getting the hose as close as possible to the oil filter housing (so close that it was literally on it) and thus of course having the hose chaffing on the oil filter and obviously being almost totally cut.
It was so damaged that I was almost able to going through by pressing it with my nail, another drama caught in time.
Now I want to replace all hoses with brand new ones and of course rerouting them properly. So here the questions:
1. Any impact to foresee if I reroute the hoses to take a clean route but longer route? I guess no.
2. What kind of hose for raw water and fresh water? I guess that automotive hose would do fine.
For my fellows from Canada, I found a maker/seller named new-line that sell all sort of hose at good price and marine hoses included, any experience with it?

Thank you!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #2
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
For your "fresh water" (I'm assuming water for drinking, cooking, etc.) you want hose that's intended for potable water. For "raw water", I'm assuming the engine or air conditioner, it's best to use hose that's rated for below the waterline use.

For the small cost involved, West Marine is probably your best source for both. Not the cheapest but you can be sure you get what you need for each purpose.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Automotive is fine, get the better brands as differences can be obvious.

If an unusual bend or application, you may want to find heavier duty as in diesel application.

West may be ok as they may carry a better brand than bottom end stuff, just that you might pay way more and they may have a much smaller selection unless you use their web site.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Lou, Well as West Marine has closed all their stores in Canada so far as I know, and were pricey anyway, I now purchase a fair amount of "stuff" from Marine Outfitters. They have Trident hose and it is very good quality. You may be able to get it locally but they do ship across Canada at a reasonable rate and quickly. Not that you will need it likely until spring if you are all tarped like I am.

http://https://www.marineoutfitters....Hose%20GP%2058
Old 10-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
X2. Really bad place to try to save a couple bucks. You want hose that won't collapse or kink or fail without warning.
Trident or Shields Heavy Duty Engine Intake Water & Heater Hose
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
There are a number of competitive marine sellers on ebay and Amazon selling many things. They sell hose by the foot and roll. Sometimes a roll is cheaper than buying less by the foot at a marine store and then you have spare hose.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
For your "fresh water" (I'm assuming water for drinking, cooking, etc.) you want hose that's intended for potable water. For "raw water", I'm assuming the engine or air conditioner, it's best to use hose that's rated for below the waterline use.

For the small cost involved, West Marine is probably your best source for both. Not the cheapest but you can be sure you get what you need for each purpose.

Sorry by fresh water I meant coolant for engine.

L
Old 10-20-2017, 02:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
OK. This is an application where failure could lead to sinking the boat. It's not the place to try to save a dollar or two on a lesser quality hose.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:01 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
OK. This is an application where failure could lead to sinking the boat. It's not the place to try to save a dollar or two on a lesser quality hose.

Totally agree (and I know the result of taking water, don’t want this never ever lol).

L
Old 10-20-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Because a hose is automotive and less expensive from an auto parts store does not mean its automatically inferior....it could be the same or even better than from a marine supplier.

Like may products the total number of manufacturers coukd be far less than "brand names" and who sells them.

Like fan belts, I would NEVER think of buying one at a marine supplier, unless the name is right and the price is close.... same for coolant hoses on the engine.

Below the waterline feed hoses from the seacock obviously should be good, reinforced, marine hose.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Julie
Vessel Model: Tradewinds 43
The hose clamps are also vitally important. Non perforated clamps are much stronger. Absolutely avoid anything that is not 100% stainless steel.

Daniel
dvarholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:02 AM   #12
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Having just renewed the raw water hose from strainer to pump, I would say choose a strong hose capable of a bend without reducing flow. I doubt automotive hoses with preformed bends are tough enough for that job, and the chance of finding the right bend and length is remote.
I have used automotive hoses on an engine where a bend required. Often you can match the old hose at an auto shop, you may trim off one or both ends, as long as you match the size and the bend of the hose you are renewing.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

City: Margaritaville
Vessel Model: Wittholz 40 Passage
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Because a hose is automotive and less expensive from an auto parts store does not mean its automatically inferior....it could be the same or even better than from a marine supplier.
This may be an OK statement in some cases, BUT underwriters and lenders will expect labeling as "approved for marine" and/or "below waterline" application, so when I do a survey I have to look for that designation.
It can be a big mistake to say something designated "marine" is just a money grab. In most cases there are good reasons for the added expense, look at battery chargers for example.....