Portlight Replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leatherneck

Vessel Name
Devil Dog
Vessel Make
1987 Jefferson 42 Sundeck
I'm going to replace several portlights (maybe all if I can afford it) on my 1987 Jefferson 42. The existing ones are the original plastic style. I found a website that sells stainless steel portlights at https://newfoundmetals.com/product-category/portlights/. Was wondering if anyone had used their products and how satisfied you are with them. Also, is stainless steel a better material to use than the plastic ones?

I've never used them. They list the castings as 316 stainless, which is what one would want. They dont say about the associated hardware. Stainless has different grades and the grade matters a lot.

Plastics tend to break down in the sun in various ways, but just like stainless, high quality plastics designed for the application can last a long time.

I just replaced 30 or 40 year old plastic ports on my boat. I suspect they were original from 1981 or shortly thereafter. And, it was the hardware, seals, lack of replacement small parts, and bedding, combined, that forced my hand. The plastic, itself, still has plenty of life in it.

So, it all depends....what grade...how thick, how thick in the small places where it matters most, how much flex to mess up sealing, etc.

In my case, I suspect that the plastic lasted way longer than the aluminum I replaced it ever will.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. L. Although I've never needed to replace any ports I've seen NFM's products several times at boat shows and have been quite impressed. Good solid castings at remarkably reasonable prices. I can't comment as to metal being superior to plastic or vice-versa. Boat with plastic ports seem to get years of acceptable service from them.

Yes, I have installed them in our current boat. We put 11 of them in. They are excellent quality. The install was not technically difficult but it is tiring on your fingers packing the butyl tape in around the port holes. I found that after doing 1 in a day was about all my hands could do, but I do have arthritis in my hands so that did make an impact. The owner of the company is a bit prickly but the products make up for him. They are first class. I have (2) 5X12 with 1.5” spigots that are new and I would like to sell if anyone needs them. I ordered all 1.5” spigot ports and then found that I needed 2 with 2” spigots. Never got around to returning them. They are beautiful works of art almost with no screws showing on the exterior.

Thanks for all of the input. Comodave, I'll be back at my boat in early March and will do some counting and measuring. I'll let you know if I can use them.

No problem. I have had them for 2 years and have never got around to listing them for sale so I am not in any hurry. I also have the templates and the misc hardware needed for install. It all adds up...

I've sold products from NFM to clients and they are the absolute best. They are a small company.

They are in Port Townsend, a huge wooden boat and boat building community.

You won't go wrong buying from them.

If new metal ports are being installed, the spigots come in various shapes. as well as depths.

IF your mounting spot has tumble home or is canted inboard spigots can be ordered that are angled down .

This makes the carving to install the ports more complex , but the port does not hold water from spray or showers , so the interior stays dry when you open the port.

This is worth the bit of extra install time & effort.

I'm going to replace several portlights (maybe all if I can afford it) on my 1987 Jefferson 42. The existing ones are the original plastic style. I found a website that sells stainless steel portlights at https://newfoundmetals.com/product-category/portlights/. Was wondering if anyone had used their products and how satisfied you are with them. Also, is stainless steel a better material to use than the plastic ones?

Installing eight NFM ports on my Willard 36 refit - two round, six rectangular. I forget the owner's name, but he is one of the many, many wonderful folks I've met along the way. He and I chatted for some time - they have owned their own production facilities in China for 20+ years. A great and interesting entrepreneur. As others have said, the end product is top quality. I found their prices to be reasonable, though I confess there is little to compare against.

Installation tips: You will need the wall thickness of your cabin sides so they can cut mounting studs the correct length. They have a suggestion on how to best measure somewhere on their website. Second, if you decide to do all your ports, you can borrow (refundable deposit) an installation jig from them to ensure the mounting holes are bored correctly.

Good luck! Post pictures!

Peter

Back
Top Bottom