Plastic Porlights - whoda thunk it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kayenne

Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Ponderosa 47
Hey Guys,

Got me a trawler, and it needs new gaskets for the windows/portlights.

But.... what kinda portlights are they?

They are plastic - which was a surprise to me :ermm:, and have been painted orange...

If I knew the brand / model / dimensions I could research new rubber gaskets (the ones that seal the window when you close it), but I don't have any details.

Without gaskets the windows are not watertight when closed.

You guys have many miles under your belts, and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the subject??

Pictures attached (I hope).

The boat is a 1986 CPMY Ponderosa 47.

Thanks in advance for any, and all assistance,
Newbie - Out.

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_150803917.jpg
    IMG_20220909_150803917.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20220920_130157546.jpg
    IMG_20220920_130157546.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20220909_150514327.jpg
    IMG_20220909_150514327.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 42
For those of us old enough and especially for Hatteras owners. The plastic portlights were and I think still made by Fuller Brush Company. You can get them from Sam's. For you youngsters Fuller had a door to door sales business that sold brushes and cleaning supplies. Mr. Fuller was a yachtsman and was unhappy with the quality of portlights on his sailboat so he had his engineers design 2 models.

Here is a source I have seen mentioned on other forums in the past. Cannot vouch for them but they seem to have a variety of interesting items including portlights.
Newfoundmetals.com

First, welcome aboard. They could be PYHI. If so Beckson bought them and stopped making them. Gaskets may be available from other sources but if they are PYHI then no support is available. Our last boat was a 1987 President and had them. I replaced 11 of them with New Found Metals portholes.

Definitely check Beckson, as those look similar to the plastic Beckson ports on my boat. Not quite identical though, so they could just be a different model, or they could be something else entirely.

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks to your need and Ready's answer - post #4. I now know that Mr. Fuller [of Fuller Brush Company fame] Loved boating and had better portholes [currently termed portlights] designed.

Always good to learn more about the boating industry! :thumb:

They look very similar to ones I had on a Camano Troll. I searched for gaskets and then found it was the seal between the glass and frame that was leaking. Gasket was fine.

I have those bronze knockoffs, but they look a lot like yours. If you can't find ready made gaskets, use some wetsuit foam and cut your own. A dive shop should set you up with the foam.

I found EDPM (or is it EPDM) foam rope of all sizes in the McMaster Carr catalog. Glue the ends together into a big "O ring". it works great and lasts.

Bakers Dozen

Yowser!

13 great responses, all relevant, no haters, just helpers!

Thanks guys, appreciate y'all.

Yowser!

Let us all know how it works out and how you solve your problem. It may help someone else in the future.

Willard 30’s had 5 or six .. at least ours did.
I faired in plenty of SiekaFlex around the periphery of the edges and no leaking or other bad things have happened over the years. As I was doing it (early on in our tenure w the boat) I thought I’d be fixing leaks (or worse) regularly. Never happened. Was a year or two in uncovered moorage in SE Alaska.

So We were very happy w the “plastic” ports. I have a bronze port and can’t believe how heavy it is.

I found EDPM (or is it EPDM) foam rope of all sizes in the McMaster Carr catalog. Glue the ends together into a big "O ring". it works great and lasts.

Yes, anytime you need any gasket, you can find the material at McMaster.com. Highly recommended.

Jim

I can order stuff from McMaster Carr in the afternoon and it comes the next day.

You can find all the parts and gaskets you need at:Fisheries Supply
Screens And New glass, rings,dogs,gaskets. all online. enter portlight
Don

Yowser!

I really hate leaking portholes! How's that?

I second the notion to buy a big roll of EPDM foam rope of an appropriate profile. Change out your gaskets on some basis, perhaps every few years or so. It would suck if you were out at sea in a storm and woke to gallons of seawater spraying on your bunk. Not that I know anything about that sorta thing :facepalm:

Oh BTW, I always thought the 2 opening port lights in my engine room were fabulous, bringing in light and running garden hoses and electric cords from the dock. Big mistake! There's a reason the Class-rules do not allow opening port lights in an engine room. If you have any, switch out to fixed with steel deadlights.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.35.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 9.35.11 AM.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
You can find all the parts and gaskets you need at:Fisheries Supply
Screens And New glass, rings,dogs,gaskets. all online. enter portlight

They don't seem to have Bomar screens. I've been looking all over for them.

Anyone know of a good source?

You can buy the rubber gasket material in a roll, cut to fit and cement the ends together. put the joint at the top. Easy

Plastic, I'm surprised they are not all beaten and broken.

You could probably seal them with 4200.

pete

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom