Pipe thread tape is not all the same

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiltrider1

Guru
Vessel Name
AZZURRA
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 54
I picked up some pink pipe thread tape 5 years ago while traveling up the coast in my boat. It was thicker than normal pipe thread tape. I found it so superior to all other pipe thread tape that I now only use the pink stuff. After 5 years I finally ran out. I checked on Amazon and found it there.

https://www.amazon.com/Unasco-Pink-High-Density-Thread/dp/B07SFYSZ3R

Turns out this tape is recommended for water and hydraulic use. I have never had a leak issue when I use this thick pink thread tape. (there is a yellow tape for use on fuel lines) Anyway, thought I would pass this information on to everyone.

The typical white TFE tape is produced to be CHEAP. There are gas and fuel approved grades. Those tapes are much thicker and the tape itself is better made. The rolls give you the approvals. I can't remember which colour is for which any longer.

However I strongly disagree that ANY TFE tape, no matter how good, is good for any kind of hydraulic system uses. Bits of the tape can get cut off and that is all it take to goof up the operation of control valves, pressure control valves and so on. That kind of problem can often be VERY expensive.

Not winding it on the last two threads is too often still not enough. Once into the system it can be tough to find.
Yes, I had it happen.

THe same can be said for pneumatic systems also.

For this reason I also won't use tape in my injection system at all but especially AFTER the last filter. Before that last filter would be ok as the last filter should catch any free roaming bits

THe last place I worked use of TFE tape on ANY machine was grounds for firing.

Use a proper sealer in those instances.

And yes I still have and use TFE tape but not often and not on any critical system such as the engine, gearbox, hydraulic or pneumatic system.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom