Perforated Stainless Hose Clamps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steve, I think “seemingly” is a key word there. I found a mix of clamps but also failure modes and only by setting out to change out the clamps did I find the bad ones. I didn’t do them all in one day but worked up from the most critical and secreted away to the less critical and “change during maintenance” ones. Not really a big investment in money terms but a big one in peace of mind. I also picked a few dodgy hoses and a couple of sea cocks that weren’t sealing in the process as well.

Steve, I think “seemingly” is a key word there. I found a mix of clamps but also failure modes and only by setting out to change out the clamps did I find the bad ones. I didn’t do them all in one day but worked up from the most critical and secreted away to the less critical and “change during maintenance” ones. Not really a big investment in money terms but a big one in peace of mind. I also picked a few dodgy hoses and a couple of sea cocks that weren’t sealing in the process as well.

Agreed, looks can be deceiving, there's never any harm in upgrading clamps. From my perspective, as a consultant, if I'm inspecting a vessel I normally don't recommend wholesale replacement of perf. clamps unless I have reason to believe they are flawed, magnetic, corroded etc. But again, upgrading is good and if in the process you found other issues, that's even better. That reminds me of the Boat Genie in the Cigar Box story...

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/the-boat-genie-in-the-cigar-box/

Back
Top Bottom