Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Painting Swim Platform Brackets

My pea brain is going to turn this into rocket science. Since the boat is on the hard I have the chance to realign my swim platform (pushed a bit out of place during someones past transgressions with a piling I guess) and, in the process, repaint my brackets. Scraped and sanded off old paint...most of it. Looks like the brackets are bronze or brass? Some of the old paint is hanging on pretty good, some places down to bare metal. Need to prime and paint. BUT....what type of primer and what type of paint?

The lower end of the bracket, about 4 inches or so, is under water. Going to coat that with bottom paint. For the rest of the bracket do I need to get all fancy and use the $60 a quart primer and paint products I was looking at and almost bought at our favorite place WM or will a good old spray can of Rustoleum primer do? Then use Rustoleum or some epoxy paint in colors as needed (bracket is white but the friggin blue water line stripe is continued through the bracket.) Not worried about perfection, just taking the opportunity to put something on it to protect it and make it look better. You know, look better to all those people that stand and stare over the transom to inspect your swim platform brackets? No time to pull the brackets and strip and do it right.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated of course!
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Bottom paint at least below the line of the rest of the hull's bottom paint. Rest of the bronze (it won't be brass on any decent boat, and it would not last more than five or so years if it was), leave bare and fix something you can see.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
Guru

I told you I had a pea brain. I never once considered just sanding it/grinding it bare and going with that. It is bronze, you are right. My boat is blue canvas and blue water line stripe, etc. Blue and green is good color combo. In a year or so. Thanks!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
Your bottom paint on metal will be ineffective unless you have a barrier coat under it. After a good sanding, 3 coats of epoxy primer or a coat of epoxy, the apply your bottom paint.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #5
Guru

the lower portion of the brackets are still covered with paint, looks to me ike enamel. I was thinking about coating those areas with Primocon and then bottom paint. Good idea? Waste?
Old 11-18-2017, 06:28 AM   #6
Guru

City: Warwick, RI
Vessel Name: Susan Helena
Vessel Model: Albin40
If you use Hydrocoat non copper paint on the underwater part there's no need to prime. My experience, lasts several seasons, easy overcoat. I use it on the prop and rudder too (actually everything), works great. The rest, well, maybe Rustoleum or similar will last. Why not try it?
mike66 is offline   Reply With Quote