Painting molded Non-skid surfaces

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is where I am given that the gelcoat is so thin in several places where the non skid was worn away from where I am guessing the PO had there dingy resting for transits. I have been looking at some of the new boats and they seem to have different colors for the glossy sections and the non skid. Has anyone had luck doing this or am I better off keeping it simple and having one color over both the glossy and nonskid surfaces? BTW I am planning to do this myself.

I stayed with the factory white because to my eye, a different color on an older boat says "repair", especially if the contrasting color was done with a grit type paint or glue on product. Getting the white to match the flat surfaces outlining the non-skid sections is tricky, but Perfection, at least, has many tones of white to choose from, and they can be tinted. Beyond personal preference, the preparation and application effort is likely about the same. ..although the Perfection product does require at least two coats with a cure time and application window between them.

I had asked our storage yard several times for a quote and they never got back to me. In retrospect I'm glad I did it myself as they probably would have sprayed it and filled in the diamond pattern. Done with a brush, it's still sharp and crisp looking. On our boat there were four areas with four non-skid sections in each. Took about a half day to tape and clean/wire brush each section, and then another day to apply two coats of paint (one morning and one late afternoon) to each area. That's about a week of effort not counting weather delays in between.

Last edited:
I am coming to the same conclusion that it maybe easier to do myself. I have done a ton of varnishing toe rails over the years and it seems to be the same prep, tape, apply skill sets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom