Is it paint or gelcoat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daddyo

Guru
Vessel Name
Grace
Vessel Make
DeFever 48
I need to touchup my nonskid but the problem is I can't tell if the previous repaint work that was done is gelcoat or paint. How can you tell?

If you can get a small chip loose, drop it in a small container of acetone. If it dissolves in a few seconds and goes soft, it's likely just paint.

I need to touchup my nonskid but the problem is I can't tell if the previous repaint work that was done is gelcoat or paint. How can you tell?

If the previous work was repainted then I would say ... paint? :) Sorry Daddyo, I couldn't resist. Nigel, our glass/painter guy should be here in the am and I'll ask him.

If the previous work was repainted then I would say ... paint? :) Sorry Daddyo, I couldn't resist. Nigel, our glass/painter guy should be here in the am and I'll ask him.
could have been repainted with gelcoat:eek:

If you can get a small chip loose, drop it in a small container of acetone. If it dissolves in a few seconds and goes soft, it's likely just paint.

Be very careful with the acetone. Awlgrip's Aircraft 2000 is one of several marine paints that are a 2 part acrylic that are soluble in acetone. Awlgrip Top Coat says you can use acetone for cleaning? You can thin gel-coat with acetone? Who can figure?

Last edited:
could have been repainted with gelcoat:eek:

Yes, but if your boat has always been in the US, other than some small local/area repairs, I would bet that it's paint. Spraying gel-coat is labor intensive so the $$' add up fast. How labor intensive, we just finished re-gel-coating everything above the cap rail with the exception of the non-skid and a blue stripe. Nigel sprayed on 5 coats of gel-coat after prep, then his crew started wet sanding by hand with 320, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 plus buffing and waxing. Two guys plus over a couple of months. It doesn't go fast but the results for us are worth it.

Yes, but if your boat has always been in the US, other than some small local/area repairs, I would bet that it's paint. Spraying gel-coat is labor intensive so the $$' add up fast. How labor intensive, we just finished re-gel-coating everything above the cap rail with the exception of the non-skid and a blue stripe. Nigel sprayed on 5 coats of gel-coat after prep, then his crew started wet sanding by hand with 320, 400, 800, 1200, 1500 plus buffing and waxing. Two guys plus over a couple of months. It doesn't go fast but the results for us are worth it.

I have what sounds like a similar problem with the white top layer eroding away on foredeck non-skid areas only. A light blue underlayment is showing through. Our boat has the diamond tread pattern on non-skid areas...which wouldn't be sanded, buffed or waxed in any case. I spoke with an Awlgrip tech rep who thought that gelcoat might be a better solution in this sort of application, as their paints would build up quickly and tend to pool in low spots, thereby ruining the diamond surface. I still don't know which material is actually on the non-skid on our boat, but suspect it's gel coat.

Daddyo: I asked Nigel. He said to sand a small area and smell it. Polyester has a distinct smell over polyurethane.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom