Outboard fuel tank failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meridian

Guru
Vessel Name
Meridian
Vessel Make
Krogen-42
Just a note to check yours. This is my 4 year old Tohatsu 3 gallon fuel tank. Two corners have developed cracks. This is mostly under cover and never had anything on top of it. So much for pressurized tanks.

Attachments

• t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 59
  • t2.jpg
    t2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 69
Does the tank collapse when the temps cool down at night? If so you can get sharp folds in the corners that can lead to failure.

There are replacement vented caps.

I can put a vented cap on the new one but these pressurized tanks should not crack under normal use.

I have also had a lot of problems with those tanks. The Tempo tanks seem to be attacked by UV (we have a fitted dinghy cover) . they start to crack and peel off in layers. The Moeler tanks al leak at the fuel gauge. The sealing ring cracked due to UV or fuel. I had WM replace 4 in only 5 months of use on the Chesapeake and the ICW. I have had fitted sunbrella covers made ($25) and that seems to stop the problem.

Over the years I have had several plastic jerry jugs crack/split. A year or so my O/B engine 3 gal tank cracked.
None of them are forever. Leaving these things out in the sun is the worst thing you can do as the UV and the expansion/contraction takes it toll.
The life can be improved by the use of a cover.
Gasoline is the worst as it develops much higher pressure under the sun and then contracts the most at night as it cools.

On the lake we regularly saw problems with these tanks, a lot of different type problems but basically the material not being up to the conditions it's exposed to. While we didn't have any, our dealer we went to recommended replacement every 3 years regardless of condition. He also regularly talked about the good old days of metal tanks.

I'll deal with the plastic ones. I've had metal, steel, which was the standard. I protected the base rim with the car door stick on silver edging, tried to keep them clean but they too failed although in different ways. And they left rust stains and damaged things if you set them down a bit too hard.

So although I think the plastic tank/jerry can manufacturers can do better I'll curse at the splits but continue with them.
To me the shapes of the plastic tank is easier to find stowage for.

I have YAMAHA plastic tanks that are 25 years old they sit in the sun and still function 100% and I have seen cheap chinese tanks last a season.

I would call the dealer or manufacturer and demand a replacement. Sure, it cracked because of EPA regulations but they made and sold it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom