Our boat deck has been removed.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great job Steven! Looks really good.

You sure work faster than I do.

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be on the other side of this project. I still have lot's of trim and little details to attend to in order to be really done but we're hoping to re-rig the mast and boom this weekend and go cruising!

Rough math for a project of this magnitude:

Marine Plywood = $1,000
Resin, Glass, Gelcoat, Fairing, KiwiGrip = $1,200
Various Supplies (sand paper, a million latex gloves, etc.) = $300
Tools (Two new sanders and some grinding wheels) = $300
Other (stuff I can't even remember but just bought to get something done) = $200

Estimated cost of materials and tools to do the job = $3,000

Total estimated hours between my wife and myself = 250 (not including researching and watching "how to" videos on YouTube)

Assuming I paid a 30% premium in the hours as a newb...I'd estimate I saved roughly 175 hours of a shipwright/fiberglass guy. At $100/hr that's $17,500 saved. I could easily see this as a $20K job in a yard.

I'm sure if I hired it out it would’ve been done much faster and the results would be more of a "yacht finish", but this wasn't a boat with a "yacht finish" from the start. Based on the starting point I'd say we exceeded the original deck structurally, reduced/eliminated the chances of water intrusion in the future and modernized the look of the deck.

In the end I learned a ton, I'm happy with the results and look forward to taking a break!

Oh, don't forget $14.99 for the BIG bottle of Tylenol! [emoji6]

Last edited:
You can’t count the cost of tools, everyone needs more tools anyway...

Tools definitely do in the “other” category as my Dad always said buying a tool you know how to use always saves you money.

On the upside we had a successful sea trial today to test all of the systems post flybridge delete and setup the boat deck for fun and serious chillness.

IMG_3521.jpg

IMG_3522.jpg

Thanks for sharing...great resource and much shared wisdom :thumb:

Thanks everyone. It feels good to be on the other side of this project. I still have lot's of trim and little details to attend to in order to be really done but we're hoping to re-rig the mast and boom this weekend and go cruising!

Rough math for a project of this magnitude:

Marine Plywood = $1,000
Resin, Glass, Gelcoat, Fairing, KiwiGrip = $1,200
Various Supplies (sand paper, a million latex gloves, etc.) = $300
Tools (Two new sanders and some grinding wheels) = $300
Other (stuff I can't even remember but just bought to get something done) = $200

Estimated cost of materials and tools to do the job = $3,000

Total estimated hours between my wife and myself = 250 (not including researching and watching "how to" videos on YouTube)

Assuming I paid a 30% premium in the hours as a newb...I'd estimate I saved roughly 175 hours of a shipwright/fiberglass guy. At $100/hr that's $17,500 saved. I could easily see this as a $20K job in a yard.

I'm sure if I hired it out it would’ve been done much faster and the results would be more of a "yacht finish", but this wasn't a boat with a "yacht finish" from the start. Based on the starting point I'd say we exceeded the original deck structurally, reduced/eliminated the chances of water intrusion in the future and modernized the look of the deck.

In the end I learned a ton, I'm happy with the results and look forward to taking a break!

Oh, don't forget $14.99 for the BIG bottle of Tylenol! [emoji6]
Congrats on a job well done. Do you have a sense of whether net net, the upper deck is now heavier or lighter than when you started ?

Good question regarding weight. In our case we doubled up on the marine plywood but we also deleted a layer of teak which is about a wash. We also deleted the flybridge steering station and a heavy bench seat made from 3/4" ply and glass.

All in all I estimate we removed 300 lbs above the surface of the deck.

We also will be relocating the mast from about mid deck forward to the back of the pilothouse much closer to the center bulkhead. This removes a lot of tensioned downforce on the deck as well. I suspect both the bench seat and the mast downforce in the free-span portion of the deck contributed to some of the "swale" we saw in the old boat deck.

While I don't have a way to measure changes to performance I will say that this weekend in both abeam wakes on the lake and then a quartering following sea in the Sound the roll amplitude of the boat appeared to be lower under both of those conditions. However I'll need more time in various conditions to really see any changes and even then it might not reveal much of a change.

Last edited:
Nice work! It looks great, you learned lots, improved the boat and saved a ton of money. What's not to like?

After the mast repositioning, it'll be time to show off your new profile in a glamour shot photo.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom