Old 03-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Orbital sander with vacuum combo

It looks like I'm going to have to break down and get a sander with vacum combination.I need more control over my dust being I'm at the marina and next to other boats .I have dust collection at home but it's not portable. I've been looking at the Festool RO 125 Rotex orbital sander .with the Festool mini vacum. It looks like it will handle most everything and contain the dust. I've also heard that they are pretty quiet.
I've bougt a bunch of sanders over the years but they have just been dewalt or porter cable or something similar . This Festool equipment is kinda pricey and I can't seem to pull the trigger on purchasing one. Has anybody tried Festool equipment or can you make any other suggestions .Or if someone has one they may want to sell ?
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:34 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Cameron, La
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
I use a small shop vac (1 gal). The hose fits both my belt and orbital sanders and can be used on my router and radial arm saw tables. It can also be used for the truck or anything else. I believe it was around $50. Adaptors for different sizes are readily available to fit most tools if needed.
dimer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I cannot answer the equipment part, but I truly understand the marina issue, I have plenty of teak and on years I sand the varnish off I either go down on an early Monday morning when no one is around or I go out and anchor and fire of the gen and sand away, sounds a little crazy but has worked for me for a long time.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Pack,

The Festool is a very good machine. For the past 40 years I have used Porter-Cable attached to a vacuum. Their quality had slipped but may be better now. For absolute dust control I usr a Fein 6" orbital with a vac. They are also pricey but work very well in sanding and dust control.

Rob
Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Since this what I do for a living

Here,s what works for me. I use a Merka DC orbital sander. This the best cutting sander' it's lighter with the feel and balance of a automotive DA. Paddle control variable speed ' acts and feels just like a DA with none of the noise. Combined with Mirka Autonet hook and loop paper you get longer clog free faster sanding longer paper life. I use any of the smaller shop vacs that will accept a hepa filter. This system blows away the clumsy Festool and out performs the Fien. The fein out performs the Festool and lasts in professional use for years. If I sound opinionated it,s because I work with these tools every day.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #6
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
The Bosch 1250DEVS is what all the builders and yards use here in NE. Read some of the write-ups on it. I have borrowed one and it is twice the tool my PorterCable is and doubles as a 6" grinder with the flip of a lever. Vacuum hooks up through the handle so much less awkard to use.
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #7
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Merka rocks! I have to second the opinion. However if you want another option that is less expensive try this route -
first on a ROS most of the time the shopvacs have too much vacuum pressure and will suck the ROS down to the material that you are sanding. This isn't really ideal as it can create low spots, more drag on the sander and action of the RO. I really like both Festool and Fein vacuums, they are one of the few that are truly HEPA. Festool being standard and Fein you have to order the HEPA. However, the least expensive route to go with a high quality set up that can be used at home as well would be a Festool ROS and Fein turbo II. They are currently being marked down as stock was high on the Turbo II. You can find them priced at 299 with shipping. The vacuum as a remote start feature for tool and adjustable vacuum. Fein makes an adapter that slides onto the Festool. It has worked great for me in the past with my Festool. For just under $500 you can get a high quality ROS and vacuum. The Festool 125 EQ is my ROS of choice, mainly cause I didn't feel the Merka was worth it for me.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Have you tried Autonet abrasives by Merka

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshillam View Post
Merka rocks! I have to second the opinion. However if you want another option that is less expensive try this route -
first on a ROS most of the time the shopvacs have too much vacuum pressure and will suck the ROS down to the material that you are sanding. This isn't really ideal as it can create low spots, more drag on the sander and action of the RO. I really like both Festool and Fein vacuums, they are one of the few that are truly HEPA. Festool being standard and Fein you have to order the HEPA. However, the least expensive route to go with a high quality set up that can be used at home as well would be a Festool ROS and Fein turbo II. They are currently being marked down as stock was high on the Turbo II. You can find them priced at 299 with shipping. The vacuum as a remote start feature for tool and adjustable vacuum. Fein makes an adapter that slides onto the Festool. It has worked great for me in the past with my Festool. For just under $500 you can get a high quality ROS and vacuum. The Festool 125 EQ is my ROS of choice, mainly cause I didn't feel the Merka was worth it for me.
. If you haven't tried Merka's Autonet' do yourself favor and check it out. I haven't noticed a problem with too much suction, I don't work much with soft wood so I prefer the added cutting ability. When sanding between varnish coats I save valuable time by clearly seeing shiny spots. The Autonet paper on paint and resin cuts much faster and lasts at least four times longer. Very little if any clogging. Autonet abrasive looks like drywall sanding sheets except you get it from about 50grit to 6000 grit. I won't use any else. Your right the Merka is slightly more expensive than Fein or Festool , but only slightly. If your making a living with it.the ease and versatility of the Media is worth it. It is the first choice , and I have a bunch of sanders.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
. If you haven't tried Merka's Autonet' do yourself favor and check it out. I haven't noticed a problem with too much suction, I don't work much with soft wood so I prefer the added cutting ability. When sanding between varnish coats I save valuable time by clearly seeing shiny spots. The Autonet paper on paint and resin cuts much faster and lasts at least four times longer. Very little if any clogging. Autonet abrasive looks like drywall sanding sheets except you get it from about 50grit to 6000 grit. I won't use any else. Your right the Merka is slightly more expensive than Fein or Festool , but only slightly. If your making a living with it.the ease and versatility of the Media is worth it. It is the first choice , and I have a bunch of sanders.
Don't get me wrong please. My next ROS is going to be a Merka. It's light, the vibration is nill next to others. First class tool! Great to hear the paper does that well. That's what will make up the difference as you use it a lot. I too will be using my ROS quite a bit so maybe a new set up is in the very near future.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
Old 03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I must be cheap. I won't spend 500 on a sander.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:14 PM   #11

City: nanoose bay
Vessel Name: Zimbra
Vessel Model: 36 Victorian
I have the big 150 ro and the mini vacuum from Festool and I love it, its big and heavy and it is high production, i often use it over my air tools for the big jobs. But its just to big for fine fineshing. I like the idea of the Merka, I have a airvantage looks just like the Merka but air powered, it works great but I don't have air on my boat,that style of sander is about the best for doing precision work. So I think Merka is the way to go to.
Dean (journeymen marine painter)
dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 PM   #12
TF Site Team

Have you ever tried the Festool rotex ? Is the mini vac enough for the 150 ro ?
Old 03-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack Mule View Post
Have you ever tried the Festool rotex ? Is the mini vac enough for the 150 ro ?
Yes thats what I have 150rotex and the mini is more than enough, even when the vacuum is set on slow it catches all the dust, I like the mini because its small and easy to pack around, if i just worked in my shop I would get a bigger vacuum, the mini fills fast especially if im doing woodworking, but for sanding I think it's ideal, I use it on all my sanders my track saw router and mitersaw.
But I use a big vacuum on my tablesaw.
I often use my big shop vac to clean out the the mini vac bags, it's a lot cheaper than using a new bag every time.
Dean
Old 03-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
TF Site Team

I'm with you capthead. I'm having a hard time with it myself.I've got to have some quiet dust collection and quiet sanding being I'm in a covered slip and next to some pretty nice boats .The weather is starting to warm up here and more boaters are showing up .I'm starting to get the eye from some of the other boaters like when the hell is guy going to get done. He was working on this when we left for the winter.Cheap rum and cheap beer won't keep these guy's off my case . I guess I need to stock up with some high end liquor . I'm the only one on the dock with what seems like permanent wooden saw horses.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
TF Site Team

Thanks ,
I'm looking at the 125 rotex with the mini . The package is $860 .
Old 03-14-2014, 01:15 PM   #16

The 125 is probably the way to go, the 150 is to big for a lot of jobs. I payed $750 up here in Canada just for the sander and that was 4 years ago.
The mini vac is real nice and quiet to, I use mine almost everyday
Cant remember what I payed for the vac it was to long ago.
Dean
Old 03-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #17

The 125 is probably the way to go, the 150 is to big for a lot of jobs. I payed $750 up here in Canada just for the sander and that was 4 years ago.
The mini vac is real nice and quiet to, I use mine almost everyday
Cant remember what I payed for the vac it was to long ago.
Dean
Old 03-14-2014, 01:54 PM   #18
TF Site Team

Dean your boat looks really nice in your avatar do you have any other pics you want to share ?
Old 03-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #19

Thanks, yes i do I'll post them later this evening
Old 03-14-2014, 11:34 PM   #20
Guru

good time to buy

Good time to hit the buy it now button. Festool is going to have another price increase. Shhh I didn't say that.