Old Vetus Hatch needs new rubber profile … I’m stuck!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PhilInYVR

Vessel Name
Island Rambler
Vessel Make
Martin Lobster 32
Hi Fellow Boaters,
I have a 34 year old lobster boat outfitted for cruising, but like any boat it’s an ongoing labour of love too. One of my current projects is to fix a leaky Vetus hatch over the forward v-berth where we sleep. The current rubber profile is also 34 years old and is compressed, cracked, and leaks when it rains. I have a canvas cover for the hatch that I re-treated with Sunbrella, which helped, and when moored I have a tarp over it, so I am working around the issue but I really would like to fix it properly. Vetus no longer provides replacement profiles for a hatch that old, I’ve spent hours and hours online, in marine stores, and at places like Home Depot trying to find something that works. I tried a Taco option (the manufacturer, not the food item haha) and it was a bit of a “Hail Mary” with a very awkward fit and has the same problem as the original profile, it leaks. Rough specs of the current profile: solid rubber that’s compressible; 190cm/75” circumference; 10mm/0.4” width at the base; 5mm/0.2” width at the top; 11mm/0.43” high but that’s after 34 years of compression so it should probably be 13-14mm/0.5-0.56” high when replaced. If you view the cross-section, it looks like a triangle with the top cut off (10mm base tapering to 5mm wide ‘top’).

Do any of you have any suggestions on where to source something like this? I”m sure I could also use a rectangular profile (10mmx~13mm), or maybe even a round profile (~13mm diameter, just need to secure it into the 10mm wide track in the hatch). Any advice or suggestions you can provide will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

• A39B7C87-82F8-488A-B725-627727B5AC92.jpg
    A39B7C87-82F8-488A-B725-627727B5AC92.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 18
  • 97AFDFA1-4DB6-4854-91CC-23C908C2E8E3.jpg
    97AFDFA1-4DB6-4854-91CC-23C908C2E8E3.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the idea Mike, cool process to create the mold. I’ll need to get a router to do this … will check with friends. Thanks!

Welcome aboard. Of course you need a router, probably more than one. I think I have 6 or 7 routers. If you want to borrow one, stop by…. They are really useful in day to day work on the boat. Interesting idea for making a large gasket.

Welcome aboard. Of course you need a router, probably more than one. I think I have 6 or 7 routers. If you want to borrow one, stop by…. They are really useful in day to day work on the boat. Interesting idea for making a large gasket.

Thanks for the offer Comodave! It’s a bit of a drive to MI though, haha, so I’ll check with my friends over here :cool:.

Last edited:
CNC intervention

Update: another solution is when your friend, a retired machinist with his own CNC machines, makes a test mold, pours in a rubber compound, and gives you a 6 inch piece of rubber profile to test out. It’s been dumping rain up here so I haven’t had the chance to test it yet, but we’ll test it and then adjust the mold profile and maybe the durometer of the compound we used and make the 190cm long version needed for the full hatch. Will post here again when we’re done.

Attachments

• B845FDA6-5942-47AF-ADB2-C08824C242B1.jpg
    B845FDA6-5942-47AF-ADB2-C08824C242B1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 10
  • 23CBE5D3-DB9C-4B66-89B4-DCDD45EB0DB1.jpg
    23CBE5D3-DB9C-4B66-89B4-DCDD45EB0DB1.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 14
Had the same problem while living on my Trojan, actually tried ordering the exact seal from Vetus. That was a mistake. Ended up going into west marine with a piece of the old seal and they matched up to regular bulb seal off the shelf, and boom no more waking up wet!

Just another example of the great ideas that this forum propagates! Thanks for this one, I may use it myself.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom